Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Getting better acquainted with the neighbors  (Read 3880 times)

Curelom

• View Profile
Re: Getting better acquainted with the neighbors
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 01:11:15 am »
Since many people replied to the original questions, I thought it was time for some new ones so Nauvoodles could get to know more about each other. If anyone still wants to answer the first set from the OP, feel free to do so.

So we know what questions you are replying to, copy & paste the original set of questions (& the title “New Questions”)  & add your answers. Answer in any detail you wish or leave a question blank if you prefer.

I will give my answers in the next post.

NEW Getting Better Acquainted With the Neighbors Questions

1.  I joined the Church through (born in covenant; as a child with convert parents; as a teen; etc.): _______________. If not LDS: I learned about the Church through: _______________.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for: _______________.

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today (or wish I still had, for those w/o kids): _______________.

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: _______________.

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): _______________.

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: _______________. If you never see any: A wild animal I would not mind having in my neighborhood: _______________.

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: _______________.

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like: _______________.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: _______________.

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose: _______________.

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 01:30:24 am »

1.  I joined the Church through (born in covenant; as a child with convert parents; as a teen; etc.): Adult convert.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for: My parents.

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today (or wish I still had, for those w/o kids): Tinkertoys.

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: Scrambled eggs.

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): Teaching assistant, then postal clerk.

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: Skunks.

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: Let me give their kids treats & play with their pets.

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like: Smoke in common areas with other neighbors around, or inside their unit with poor insulation so smoke gets out.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: Dr. Quincy ME.

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose: Winston Churchill – but wait, didn’t he have an American mother, making him a U.S. citizen? If so, I’ll have to think of someone else.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:32:03 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:24 am »
1.  I joined the Church through (born in covenant; as a child with convert parents; as a teen; etc.):  When my parents joined, I was 3.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for: Sometime soon after receiving my endowment, 1985/6.

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today (or wish I still had, for those w/o kids): Can't think of one.

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: Fruit cake. (not counting beans (or anything else) on toast).

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): My first job after school was working for a car hire (rental) firm. My first proper job was Laboratory Technician.

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighbourhood: Fox

7.  Something one of my neighbours does that I enjoy: We share a driveway with the house next door - he maintains the hedges.

8.  Something one of my neighbours does that I don’t like: The aforementioned hedge maintenance can sometimes be a little severe.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: Blake's Seven

10.  Many countries have national holidays honouring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honour a non-citizen, I would choose: I have no idea.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 02:18:04 pm »
1.  I joined the Church through (born in covenant; as a child with convert parents; as a teen; etc.): _______________. If not LDS: I learned about the Church through:  convert at 12. Sister's best friend introduced Church to her and my mother.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for:  I don't remember.

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today (or wish I still had, for those w/o kids): I played with mostly dolls and stuffed animals and they are pretty plentiful. While they aren't toys, I wish my grandkids could take 4-H classes.

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: Eggs in a Hole. I took 4-H cooking and sewing classes.

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): Working as a nurses aide in a nursing home.

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: moose, occasional bear.  If you never see any: A wild animal I would not mind having in my neighborhood: foxes

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: Puts out great Christmas decorations

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like:  This is probably more me, but as neighbors we don't really take time to know each other, other than to wave at.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: The Cosby Show. Regardless of the trouble or the man it seems Bill Cosby is, the show confronted many issues families cope with and helped me as a parent. All while making us laugh.

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose: I have to think about that one.

Scruffydog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 02:52:17 pm »

1.  I joined the Church through (born in covenant; as a child with convert parents; as a teen; etc.): adult convert aged 39

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for: my grandpa

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today (or wish I still had, for those w/o kids): Lego Wild West Train Set

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: stew

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): Delivery driver for electrical goods company, then working for Co-op Bank

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: Deer and buzzards

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: Lets his dog wander in his garden, so it comes over to see me in the garden and plays with my dogs.

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like: Trying to get the road closed (it's a public road, but he wants to close it to stop people screaming up the road and throwing litter everywhere; I have sympathy with that but closing the road would be inconvenient, would slow down emergency vehicles in the event that my elderly parents need help, and is in general a bad idea because public roads should stay public).

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: James Burke's Connections.

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose: Jan Hus.

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 05:43:12 pm »
Getting Better Acquainted With Roper

1.  I joined the Church through: BIC.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for: My father's brothers and sisters.  He was the only member of his family.  He was the youngest of nine kids and joined as an adult.

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today: A Schwinn Stingray bicycle just like the one I had. 

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: Breakfast over a campfire. I was earning my very first merit badge--Cooking!

5.  My first “grown-up” job: Command Post Controller in the Air Force.

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: Raccoons.

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: Inviting us over for BBQ on July 4th.

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like: Parking on the street in front of my house on trash pickup day.  I have to ask them to move their car every single time.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: The Twilight Zone.

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose: Knowledge Day to honor Johannes Gutenberg.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 08:06:22 pm »

1.  I joined the Church through being a BIC.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for a distant relation on my father's side.  My grandmother's sister's daughter sent us names she had found in her research--she has so many.

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids had played with are Tinkertoys.

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own was Jell-O.  However, I was too young to use the stove unsupervised, so we used hottest-tap water instead of boiling.  The results were less than ideal.

5.  My first “grown-up” job was cleaning my father's offices, twice a week.

6.  A wild animal I see in my neighborhood, besides roaming cats, is one opossum.  I've seen a couple of coyotes and skunks a bit further out.  There are a new crop of lambs and kids within two blocks of the house, plus two horse farms and a dairy within walking distance.  Those don't count as "wild", though, I imagine.

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy is great Christmas lights. 

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like is Park on their front lawn.  But...since there is no grass (or stones, pebbles or Xeriscaping of any kind), I can't really call it 'the front lawn'.  I think it looks lower-class (yes, I'm a snob), but it's their property, so I shake it off and let it go.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in, is Joan of Arcadia.  I know it isn't THAT old, but it's one we watched as a family when CrowSon was young.

10. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:20 am »
1.  I was born in covenant; as a child with convert grandparents.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for: for my Grandma Carter on my 12th birthday.  It was quite a thing getting it done.  I don't remember the whole story, but it involved my mom putting in her name, it getting denied because her closest living relative, my grandma, hadn't given permission - except that she wasn't living and hadn't been for years, the temple being closed for renovation, finding out I had to be 12 and not younger to go (my mom swears she remembers going when younger), and my other grandma getting sick on the day we were all going to go together. 

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: I don't really know.  Popcorn maybe.  In the pan with oil.  Or maybe snowball cookies. .

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): maid in a hotel in the tetons

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: mockingbirds. Love them.  The other day we saw a coyote though.  No we do not live in the country.  We live in the suburbs, several miles from the edge.

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like: smoke outside where it comes into our backyard and through our window.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: .The Disney show on Sunday night.

Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 12:17:28 am »
Thanks so far for everyone’s new “getting acquainted” answers. Most of us here will never meet other Nauvoodles in person, & it’s nice to know a little about our neighbors as real people.

I’ve met CrowGirl & the youngest Crows, but if you haven’t, doesn’t this make her more of a real person? :) :
the first thing I made on my own was Jell-O.  However, I was too young to use the stove unsupervised, so we used hottest-tap water instead of boiling.  The results were less than ideal.

The question about what non-citizen you would want your country to honor with a holiday popped into my head since this week in the U.S. we had Martin Luther King Day, & next month we have Presidents’ Day, which actually began with separate Washington & Lincoln holidays & was later modified to include all Presidents, good, bad, deserving or not. And of course we do have one undocumented alien, Columbus, as controversial as he is in today’s political correctness sense. I had no solid idea who I might pick, although Churchill is someone I’ve always admired; IMO he did as much as any 20th century figure to “save Western civilization.”

Churchill’s mother was American & might qualify him for U.S. citizenship. He is also one of eight official "honorary U.S. citizens"; he & Mother Teresa & Raoul Wallenberg are the most familiar to us. The others were associated with the uprising against King George.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_citizen_of_the_United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_Canadian_citizenship

After some thought, I couldn’t decide between Simón Bolívar, Louis Pasteur, Sun Yat-sen, or Raoul Wallenberg/Chiune Sugihara jointly. And we can’t grant too many holidays, even to Americans, which would cheapen an honor that should go to people who have done something truly, undeniably significant. So I'm not going to give any non-citizen their own holiday.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:47 am »
1.  I joined the Church when I was thirteen. I'd been going to church (mostly - my mother was somewhat inactive) my entire life, but my father was dead set against baptisms. But when I was 12, he had brain aneurysms, which caused brain damage, and he could no longer give or take away consent. For that matter, he could no longer remember being against it, not that he was suddenly for it. He was declared legally incompetent, so his opinion no longer mattered.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for:  I don't remember.

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today (or wish I still had, for those w/o kids): I didn't really have any. I had books. Lots and lots of books.

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: dinner for the family. Browned hamburger patties, frozen peas or corn (one or the other), boiled to death potatoes, gravy made from the hamburger patties. I was five. My mother had bronchitis, so she shouted the instructions from her bed while I stood on a chair and cooked. I wandered to include baking (cakes, cookies, puddings, whatever) within the year with my older sister. But cooking the meal from age five was a regular gig.

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): Retail. I was 15.

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: In one house where we lived on the outskirts of Colombo, Sri Lanka, the purple-faced langur monkey. We had a pack that lived in our neighborhood. Where we are now, squirrels, mostly. They run past on our balcony pretty close to every day.

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: Um... I don't know. They don't bother me?

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like:  Um...

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: Hmm. Well, Star Trek does come back every now and then, so I think I'm covered. :)

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose: No idea.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Roper

KDeeFrag

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 01:56:00 am »
1. I was born in Northern California! (near the SF Bay area)

2. When I was 8, I enjoyed reading, exploring, being around animals, seeing new places, running and jumping (pretending I was a horse)

3. My parents disciplined me by ... probably guilt and shame...

4. My least favorite school subject: math and all it's related abominations

5. When I was 15, my ambitions were being Trophy Girl at the race track, being a Veterinarian or Farrier, being a model... finding a guy who'd love all my beautiful brokenness

6. A job I would choose if I could start over I don't know anymore... part of my problem; a job I don’t think I’d like CPA or tax lawyer...

7. My favorite animal: horses, dogs, chickens, many others

8. Movie genres I like: documentaries and the like, comedy- especially British

9. My favorite snack food:trail mix, peanut butter ; favorite real food: grilled or roasted veggies, hummus, beef stroganoff, green curry; favorite beverage: herbal tea, water, odwalla juices.

10. If I were offered a month of fully-paid vacation to go somewhere I’d never been,my top choices would be anywhere my ancestors lived, particularly if I could break through some of those pesky 'brick walls'. Calabria, Italy... Alsace Lorrainne... Ireland... the Colonial Virginia and Carolinas... Central Germany... If it wasn't family history related, I guess Iceland or Polynesia or New Zealand...

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, palmetto_gal, Roper, Patty Rain

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 01:14:54 pm »

1.  I joined the Church through (born in covenant; as a child with convert parents; as a teen; etc.): I was BIC, but I joined the Church at 8.  Can't really join the church earlier.

2.  The first time I did temple work for my own kin, it was for: I have never done work for my own ancestors.  I have never been able to find an ancestor that still needed their work done (I think my biggest genealogical duty is verification).

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today (or wish I still had, for those w/o kids): I don't really get nostalgic like that.  At least not any more.  I consider it a waste of time and positivity to pine after something that was and isn't anymore.  But I did like Weebles (and I still get that jingle stuck in my head when talking about Webelos. :) ). 

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: I have no earthly idea.  Cookies, maybe?  grilled cheese?  I have this old Betty Crocker cookbook for kids that I LOVED and I made stuff out of that all the time. 

5.  My first “grown-up” job (exclude “youth” jobs like babysitting, pet care, lawn mowing, etc.): Little Caesar's pizza, the summer before I started college at 17.  Only about 2 months of work there, but the guy who would order anchovy and jalapeno pizza every Friday scarred me for life.  o.O

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: doves, owls, bunnies, squirrels.  That's pretty mundane, but there was a mountain lion 1/4 mile away just last week!

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: one across-the-street neighbor is a veteran who LOVES to sit in his garage with the garage door open and just watch the world.  The part I enjoy is how nice & honorable he is when we do stuff with our flag in the front yard. 

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like: Collecting junker cars that take up all the curb space in our corner of the neighborhood.  And getting into the domestics that bring the cops over and end with him shouting at the cops at odd hours.

9.  An old TV series that I wish would come back, updated to the times we live in: Again, I don't do nostalgia.  But it might be interesting to see Moonlighting redone to today's higher production standards.

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose: What an odd question!  We have Columbus day (not that this is the best thing) and Christmas already.  Maybe Gandhi?  Some European heroes from WWII? 

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 03:15:52 pm »
Just now saw this January 2017 update.  Too bad no way to notify and send you directly to it: 

1.  I joined the Church through born in the covenant, and then by being rebaptized after excommunication.   

3.  A childhood toy that I wish my kids could have today:  Not answering the question, but I still have the teddy bear I got when I was seven (and a littler one, a very smart boyfriend bought me when I was 18 that looks just like it).

4.  When I learned to cook, the first thing I made on my own: we cooked for the family the day after our 8th birthday.  Pretty sure it was spaghetti and salad (because it was a common meal at my hourse, but I have no clear memory of that.  Today I do the short cut garlic bread by cutting toast into thirds and dipping them in butter and garlic.

5.  My first “grown-up” job: rogue peas ( when you grow seed peas, you have to have humans go looking for the wrong plants and pulling them out, so the harvest is pure. You have to have really good pattern recognition skills and be able to work from 6-2 in hot weather.  You make good money though.)   I presume you are not counting hay bales I threw on to the wagon as soon as I could lift them, the 12 lines of 24 20' pipes I changed (moved over fifty feet to water another area) every day after school starting about 12 years old, or the swathing I did from about 14 --- since I wasn't paid for any of those.)    My second one was in a potato packing plant, which no doubt broke all the child labor laws by letting me do it from 8 AM to sometimes 10 --- though sometimes they are waived during agricultural harvest times). Then asparagus, and corn and peas.

6.  A wild animal I often see in my neighborhood: three albino squirrels, and a whole lot of other critters including a very occasional alligator, and regular armadillos until a neighbor actually shot the family, having missed many time previously (usually when drunk).

7.  Something one of my neighbors does that I enjoy: planted a beautiful flower hedge for a fence. 

8.  Something one of my neighbors does that I don’t like: wants me to change my yard so fewer critters want to live there.

10.  Many countries have national holidays honoring great figures in their history. If my country could have a holiday to honor a non-citizen, I would choose to vote: against any -- they are an excuse for a paid or unpaid day off, and either one makes someone's life harder.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:16:52 pm by pnr »
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

* Top Posters

Curelom
947 Posts
Roper Roper
821 Posts
dyany dyany
677 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
552 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl