Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Fake IRS calls  (Read 1371 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Fake IRS calls
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:42:31 pm »
I got another of those %#@!* robo-calls from the phony IRS saying they were filing a lawsuit against me or issuing a warrant or something.  >:( Even if I were a total idiot – which I am not even though I can be a partial idiot – I would have caught on to this one as soon as the scammer said he was calling from “the Internal Revenue Services.” Some of them are even dumber than we are. 

Many informed people are aware, but some vulnerable folks (maybe elderly or people not fluent in English) may not be: the IRS does not do business with taxpayers by phone calls, door visits, threats to issue a warrant, or claims that they are suing someone.

As unpopular as the IRS is with most Americans, they always use certain procedures when they have an issue with a taxpayer. The first contact is in writing on the IRS letterhead, with their calculations or other supporting documents. You are typically given 30 days to respond, & told you can have legal representation. The IRS will not come to your door, & they will not send your county sheriff to your door. They will not demand immediate payment, & they will not ask you to send cash, debit or cash cards, or any other form of payment than a check, money order, or direct bank transfer to the IRS.

If you think you know anyone whose fear, lack of knowledge of the system, language barrier, etc. might make them an easy mark, be sure to warn them not to be tricked by IRS impostors. We law-abiding folks have enough problems when we file our returns diligently & pay our legitimate taxes on time; no need to invite more trouble by being scammed.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
Re: Fake IRS calls
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:35:42 am »
crowMother's phone has a feature that tells you (on screen and aloud) who is calling.  I tell her, If you don't recognise the name, don't answer.  And then I block the number.  Most of her calls are from charities--she donated to a few in the past, and they sold her name to a myriad of others.  One of these blocked charities keeps trying to call her, on different lines.  I keep blocking.

She got a call from Publisher's Clearing House...if they were located in the Bahamas.  She is still too smart to fall for this stuff, but I worry about the future.  These people are insistent.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

Randy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 02:11:05 pm »
My wife has received a lot of these calls.  Fortunately, she disbelieved them.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 08:15:21 pm »
The original post was in May of 2016! These calls are STILL going around as well as Medicare, Social Security and Insurance scams.

My caller ID shows they are coming from all over the US as well as local numbers, yet if you try to ban or block them, they come up with about 16 numbers.

We have so many new members in our Ward who are keeping their old cell phone numbers that it is hard to decide to answer or let it go to voicemail. I am going to change my message to: "Hi, since I don't recognize your number your call is being sent to voicemail, if you wish to speak to me, please leave your name and message."

Whatcha All Think?

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 11:11:28 pm »
Sounds good to me.  Modern robocalling doesn't involve an actual human scammer talking with you one on one, until stage 2 or 3.  Maybe 80% of the scam calls I get, never leave a message - meaning the robocalling system has a way to tell it's being sent to voice mail.  The rest just play their recording, and some of it makes it to voice mail.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:44:43 pm »
1. Most robocalls fake the number they are calling from, so blocking them really doesn't do any good.  There is federal legislature going through right now that will work with cell providers to make that sort of thing illegal and to put measures in place to stop it.

2. I have a google service on my phone (it's a google pixel phone on the google fi network/service, so I don't know if it's available on any phone) that allows me to screen calls. All I have to do is hit 'screen call' when I don't recognize a number, and an automated voice answers the call and tells the caller I am screening the call--and I see the full conversation on my screen with speech-to-text.  Then if they hang up or it's an obvious scam/robocall, there's a button right there that allows me to block (for all the non-good it does) and report the number as spam.  It's one of the greatest things ever invented. :)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 05:13:14 am »
Iggy, what you suggested is pretty much exactly what I would do. Your suggested message is reasonable and clear as to reasoning.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

* Top Posters

Curelom
1673 Posts
Roper Roper
1552 Posts
dyany dyany
969 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
835 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical