Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: All Flesh is Grass, or, The Talking-About-the-Dead Thread  (Read 4105 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: All Flesh is Grass, or, The Talking-About-the-Dead Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2017, 03:11:40 am »
Chuck Berry, one of the founding fathers of rock n roll, has passed.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Rock-n-roll-legend-Chuck-Berry-dies-at-90-11011885.php

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2017, 12:04:42 pm »
Chuck Barris, known for creating such American "gems" as The Dating Game, The Newlywed Game, The $1.98 Beauty Show, and my personal favorite, The Gong Show, has been "gonged at last":

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/arts/chuck-barris-dead-gong-show-creator.html

The last two were part of my Saturday nights and summer mornings when I was in elementary school.  No doubt I'd be horrified to watch today, but, well, there it is.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical, Jana at Jade House

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 09:20:54 pm »
Don Rickles:  http://www.dailywire.com/news/15189/famed-comic-don-rickles-dies-90-hank-berrien

My kids knew him as Mr. Potato Head.  I knew him as the comic on the Las Vegas marquee my mother said was just mean.  I do remember reading a bio of him in Reader's Digest back in the 80's which mentioned he was friends with Ronald Reagan but refused to insult him offstage after he became President.

RIP, you hockey puck.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:42:50 am by CrowGirl »
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2017, 08:39:28 pm »
Not a celebrity. My friend and former Bishop, Joe Beck, died this morning.  He had lived through cancer treatment for two years.  He was on hospice care at this home for the last two weeks.  My family had FHE with his family at his house last week. Even through the haze of pain management, his eyes were bright and his smile was warm. Godspeed, my dear friend.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 11:39:24 pm »
Thanks for letting us know, Roper.

As celebrated as celebrities are, oftentimes it is the ordinary people whose passing directly affects us the most. I will ďmissĒ many of the prominent figures who pass, but not in the same sense as those I know personally who were part of my everyday world or that I knew ďthroughĒ someone close to me.

We all have beloved family members, dear friends, brothers & sisters in the gospel, congenial neighbors, special co-workers, classmates, students, teachers, people we encounter at the grocery store, post office, or neighborhood park, & others whose presence adds something to our lives on a regular basis. These are the folks that I think most of us miss the most when theyíre gone.

I recently went to a funeral for someone I never met, who was the grandfather & uncle of a family in my ward. This gentleman didnít live in our area & few if any ward members knew him, but his family buried him here, near where most of them live. From what was shared at the service, he had a full & fulfilling life & did good for many people, his family & others. Itís obvious that those who love him will miss him more than theyíll miss Don Rickles, Chuck Berry, Mary Tyler Moore, or Zsa Zsa Gabor.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 02:45:34 am »
I'm sorry for your loss, Roper. Sounds like a good guy.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:05 pm »
Glen Campbell has passed. Who doesn't know & hasn't enjoyed his many talents?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Glen-Campbell-superstar-entertainer-of-1960s-and-11742942.php

In my corner of the world, a couple of people have moved on lately but I don't worry about them because they are in the Spirit world now & the Lord is looking after them.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2017, 04:13:29 am »
Most of the people we write about who have gone to grass are well known & prominent: entertainers, sports figures, famous authors, other widely recognized public personages. Occasionally someone writes about a person they knew, like a family member, teacher, neighbor, or Church leader who was important in their life.

Then there are the in-betweens, folks who arenít wildly famous, but may be known a little outside their immediate circle because of what they did or the way they lived. These obits were in the local news recently, for two men who lived in circumstances they had no control over because they happened to be born in certain times, places, and sociopolitical settings.

Far more than most people who in 2017 consider themselves deprived, disenfranchised, or persecuted, they could genuinely have justified rebelling, kicking & lashing out, & spending their lives being angry at everyone & everything Ė but it appears they didnít. At least not in a destructive way. They seem to have taken a truly crappy hand, dealt from a deck stacked against them from the beginning, & played it the best they could, living well & inspiring people. RIP, Mr. Kristal & Mr. Gage. Enjoy the grass Ė I think youíve earned it.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Media-World-s-oldest-man-a-Holocaust-survivor-11775647.php#

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Services-Monday-for-Earl-Gage-San-Francisco-s-11803920.php#

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2017, 11:59:10 am »
300-400 Doctors commit suicide each year, the equivalent of a large medical school class. While the video doesn't happen every day, I have had every one of those scenarios, usually multiple emergent needs at the same time, as well as that type of response from hospital administration (minus the offer of more money).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgPRUmm8kZU
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:00:51 pm by Jason »

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »
Jason, as a non-clinical hospital employee, I can only offer my thanks and gratitude to all medical professionals who have to put up with the daily grind you have to endure.  I'm not sure how much validation you receive from the PTB in your hospital, but this medical coder has your back. 

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2017, 01:26:22 am »
No need for any comment. Just reporting that Charles Manson has died, after 48 years of having the people of California pay for his food, shelter, clothing, medical care, & security.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Charles-Manson-Helter-Skelter-mass-12370465.php

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2017, 09:09:10 am »
I'd like to add my first reaction to the news posted above in the form of a hypothetical question:

What do you suppose it was like for the deceased person when he crossed the veil to the other side? 

That question has been on my mind since I woke up to this news today.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2017, 06:41:35 pm »
Ah, a comment. OK, I guess I can chime in now. (Actually, I probably commented implicitly in my previous post breaking the news ;) )

And that has been the attitude of many Californians: Well finally, after almost half a century, we can stop paying to give Manson a place to sleep, all utilities paid, 3 meals a day, clothes, TV, movies, an exercise facility, medical care & transportation to get there, & all the other things honest people have to work to acquire. Itís very sad to have that kind of attitude about anyone :( , but itís probably human nature to think it.

As for what it would be like for the deceased at the moment of crossing over, I think Alma 34, 35, 40, & 41 answer that pretty well. And as to Charles Manson specifically, I really am grateful that the vast majority of Godís children, whatever their actual beliefs, will not have the kind of experience that Manson might be expected to have.

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2017, 08:11:30 pm »
...we can stop paying to give Manson a place to sleep, all utilities paid, 3 meals a day, clothes, TV, movies, an exercise facility, medical care & transportation to get there, & all the other things honest people have to work to acquire...
What's the alternative? 

I'm not in favor of the government executing people. Giving the power of life and death to an agency of the state is terrifying.

Should we deny prisoners food, shelter, clothes, and medical care?  That would be barbaric.  That's not who we are.

I don't think incarceration should be about vengeance (which is what most people really mean when they say "justice.") Incarceration should be about removing someone from society so they can't hurt other people.  If that takes 48 years, so be it.

The way we treat others, including the worst among us, testifies to the world who we are.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »
There isnít an alternative. You canít just let those convicted of the cruelest, most vicious, heartless, inhumane multiple murders by torture, including babies in the womb & people sound asleep & defenseless, just starve to death under the broiling sun & pouring rain. So thatís why Californians are relieved that nature has taken its course & this is over.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1090 Posts
Roper Roper
890 Posts
dyany dyany
742 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
606 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts