Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Throw-together recipes  (Read 1066 times)

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Throw-together recipes
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »
You know when you didn't go to the grocery store on Saturday and so you just have a bunch of odds and ends to make a dinner?  This is the page to share our collective creativity!

Here's a sorta-salad-slaw I came up with that turned out remarkably yummy:

Romaine lettuce
Spinach leaves
Green cabbage
Radishes
Bacon
Cheddar cheese
Ranch dressing
Italian dressing
Mayo
Lemon Juice

So I cut up the romaine, spinach leaves, and cabbage into bite-sized pieces and put it into a large bowl.  Then I coarsely grated a couple of radishes and mixed them in.  Then I crumbled a couple of strips of bacon and added it.  Then I added coarsely grated cheese.  Then I put a squirt of Ranch and Italian dressing on top.  Then I added a couple of squirts of mayo from the squirty bottle (so much better than the jar) and a little squirt of lemon juice.  Then I mixed it all together. 

I didn't measure anything, I just added what looked about right.  To my surprise, all my picky eaters gobbled it up and said how much they liked it.  I mean, really, what's not to like when something has bacon and mayo in it.  And now, the produce drawer has room in it for new stuff!

So what have you used odds and ends for which turned out surprisingly yummy?

Patty Rain

• View Profile
Re: Throw-together recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:37 pm »
Last night I cooked some breakfast sausage and threw in some broccoli. Then I cooked the skinny rice noodles in beef broth and threw the noodles in with the sausage and broccoli.  There were no leftovers in my house last night. 
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »
Leftover meat & veggies also work well with ramen noodles. Sautee the meat & veggies briefly, meanwhile breaking the ramen noodle bricks into bite-size pieces. Add a spoonful or two of water or other liquid to the pan, then add the ramen pieces & toss until the noodles are cooked to your preference.

Ramen noodles do not need to be fully cooked as most other noodles do. In fact, broken into whatever size you want, they make good sprinkles or crouton substitutes on a salad. So if your kids like crispy & you want to get some real food into them, cook them (the noodles, not the kids :D ) for just a couple minutes.

Ramen is made of wheat.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »
My own Monte Cristo variation:

- Crescent roll dough for the top and bottom
- Softened cream cheese
- Turkey deli meat
- Bacon Crumbles
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes
- Top with pureed strawberries and powdered sugar

Hey, the kids ate it! I'm happy.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:07 pm »
What do you do when the weather is cold and wet and your kids have the sniffles?  Make Mexican hot chocolate! You can probably make it with ingredients you have on hand.  There are many recipes on the web.  Here's what I used:

Milk
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sugar
Cinnamon
Vanilla
Chili powder

I went beyond authentic and made some stiff fluffy whipped cream for the top.  Heavy cream, powdered sugar, and 5 minutes with a wire whisk. 

I think everyone is ready for the heavy quilts, now.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 02:46:46 am »
Hot spiced apple cider, no recipe needed (vary ingredients according to taste):

Bottled apple juice, desired amount
2-3 cinnamon sticks per quart of juice
2-3 cloves per quart, lightly bruised
Nutmeg and/or allspice (optional, to taste)
1 tsp real maple syrup per quart
Fresh apple, favorite variety, thinly sliced (I like tart apples)

Put juice in saucepan with cinnamon sticks & cloves, nutmeg or allspice if desired (add gradually & check for taste). Heat but donít boil, stir in maple syrup, simmer about 15 minutes stirring occasionally, & let sit for 5 minutes. Before serving, put a couple of thin apple wedges in each mug. Pour cider into mugs.

Variation: Add 7-8 fresh crushed cranberries per quart of juice before heating, & distribute the berries into the mugs along with apple slices before serving.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:10:53 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:17:47 am »
That sounds delicious.  I'm going to make some this weekend.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 03:03:05 pm »
Roper: I wonder how that recipe would work with sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar.  Oooo!

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:19:36 pm »
Roper: I wonder how that recipe would work with sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar.  Oooo!
That would be so rich, you could only stand a spoonful of it!!! :P  And all the critters would be waiting for you to fill their saucers. ;D

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 09:27:27 pm »
I like corned beef hash, & I don't mind if it comes from a can, although home-made is unbeatable (but that's a lot of work ;D)  Right now I have some heating in a pan on the stove. I heat it until it has a very slight crisp, stir it around, break an egg into it & scramble the whole thing around until the egg is cooked to preference. Have for dinner with a green salad or fruit. Yumm.

Optional: top with shredded cheddar cheese & let it melt before serving.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:35:35 pm by Curelom »

lil_potoo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 06:34:52 am »
Made leek, potato and bacon soup today! A good hearty soup for all the cold weather

Two (or more) leeks
Vidalia onions
Po-tay-toes! (I used reds today but I think the soup is best with the yukon gold type)
Bacon
Butter
Half-n-Half
Salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt etc.
Vegetable (or chicken) broth
Grated cheese
A blatant disregard for calories  ;D

I fried the bacon in the big pot first then took that out (you can make it as crispy as you like) then chopped up my taters and and threw them in. A little water and broth (enough to cover your potatoes) and I boil them. Meantime clean and cut your onions and leeks, the leeks tend to gather grit between the leaves so make sure you clean them well (I usually give them a preliminary rinse, peel off the outside leaves, chop them and rinse again using a colander) The brighter green and white part of the leek tastes best although I chop just a bit into the darker green. You saute' the leek and onion with butter over medium heat until its all limp. Then you mush up your potatoes right in the broth, put the leeks and onions in, pour in some half-n-half and whatever seasonings you like, salt, pepper, onion or garlic salt etc. Get your hand-held mixers or whatever and give it all a good mixing/pureeing and bring it all to a boil. Once its boiling turn down the heat to low and let it simmer just a bit (I did mine for about twenty mins) I like my soup nice and thick but you can add broth, water or half and half as you like to get the consistency of the soup you want. Then you can either stir your bacon in or crumble it on top. And a little bit of grated cheese!

Something else that works great if you don't have a lot of potatoes on hand and need to stretch or thicken up your soup, those instant packages of potatoes! it's such a good soup for cold wintry days.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1405 Posts
Roper Roper
1162 Posts
dyany dyany
832 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
703 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
425 Posts

* Board Statistics