Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Throw-together recipes  (Read 4579 times)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Throw-together recipes
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2020, 10:02:22 am »
Roper, I do the same thing. It's a great use of leftover fries. Admittedly, I don't bother chopping them.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 03:46:49 am »
Leftover french fries? What's that?

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2020, 09:00:05 pm »
Do you like Brussels sprouts? Some people claim to hate them, but I'm one of quite a few I know who really like them. You can use them in some of the same ways as cabbage, except I think they need to be cooked. Try corned beef & Brussels sprouts for St. Paddy's Day.

This is one of my go-to lunches. It has green veggie & protein. Isn't that the basics of a balanced meal? I had it today. No measurements, use whatever amount you like.

Prepare Brussels sprouts by cutting off the stem end & any tough outer leaves. For steaming, it's typical to cut an X in the stem end for even cooking, because sprouts are very dense. For this, slice each in half lengthwise. Rinse lightly (little rinsing needed because they are so tightly closed).

While sprouts are draining, cut bacon into pieces (about coin size) & cook partly, depending on however you like bacon cooked. Don't drain the fat. You need it to cook the sprouts & for the protein value & flavor! Add sprouts & let them cook on medium until done as preferred. It might take 10 minutes or more depending on the size of the sprouts, which is why I only partly cook the bacon to start. At medium, I don't have to hover by the stove, although like with any frying, I stay within sight for safety reasons. Stir occasionally so the cut & outer sides are cooked evenly. The sprouts will be a little browned when done. Drain off any excess fat now if you wish.

Season with a little fresh-ground pepper if you wish. I often have this by itself, but it goes well with potatoes, egg noodles, rice, any bland carb.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2020, 11:56:38 pm »
Thanks, Curelom. Brussels sprouts are one of the few foods I dislike. I never ate them growing up. The first time I had them was in the Chow Hall in military basic training. I think they had been boiled for too long. Anyway, they were luke warm and slimey. I had to eat all of them before I took my tray to the hopper. I have successfully avoided them for over 30 years. Maybe it's time for another try. I mean, bacon can make just about anything taste good.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Sparky

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2020, 09:22:50 pm »
Oh, the brussel sprouts at Longhorn Restaurant are just divine. I could go there just for the sprouts, though the steak is decent, too. I wish I knew how they fixed them. I think it's time for a web search!

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2020, 01:38:37 am »
Thanks, Curelom. Brussels sprouts are one of the few foods I dislike. I never ate them growing up. The first time I had them was in the Chow Hall in military basic training. I think they had been boiled for too long. Anyway, they were luke warm and slimey. I had to eat all of them before I took my tray to the hopper. I have successfully avoided them for over 30 years. Maybe it's time for another try. I mean, bacon can make just about anything taste good.

I'm so sorry you had to eat over cooked, slimy sprouts. Sprouts, cut the root end off then make a single slit up from the end up it the sprout. I have sprinkled olive oil or seasoned with Mrs. Dash melted butter on them, or spicy italian dressing, put in a single layer in a baking dish and back at 350 degrees until they are almost fork tender, then serve with any meat. I love pork loin chops made with the same dressing and baked with them.

My mother steamed them till they barely let the fork go when you pierced them, then drizzled melted butter on them & seasoned with a tiny bit of salt and plenty of black ground pepper.

Hubs likes them steamed al dente and covered in cheese sauce. Same for asparagus. He seems to think he hates cooked cabbage, so I substitute sprouts when I make corned beef & cabbage.[or as my Grandma, Mom, Dad and all the Aunts & Uncles calls it  Boiled Dinner] He loves that Baby Cabbage a lot. :) 

We pretty much had two vegetables for dinner \\no, potatoes was never considered a vegetable// thus with the brussels or asparagus we would have whole small beets. Yum :-*

:

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper, Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2020, 01:01:40 pm »
I love to throw halved Brussels sprouts into sheet pan dinners. I'm so limited on what I can eat these days, the variety is very nice!

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2020, 08:06:44 pm »
Here's one recipe for the Longhorn brussel sprouts, but I don't think it's the one that is used for the sprouts I ate recently. But, it looks pretty interesting!

First, blanch your brussel sprouts lightly, id say about 3 mins in boiling water. Then take them out to cool on a plate. After they are cool, cut them in half length wise and lay them in the bottom of your baking dish, flat side up. Thats step one.

In a small sauce pan or skillet, cook about a half pound of bacon or pancetta. (I would use bacon). You want the bacon to be minced aomewhat small as well. Save some of the leftover bacon fat for later. Set the cooked bacon aside. Thats step two.

Next you’re going to put about a 3/4 of a cup of heavy cream into a saucepan. Add your reserved bacon grease to this as well. Slowly simmer this, so as not to scald it. When its warm but not boiling, slowly sprinkle in a few tablespoons of flour. This will make the cream mixture thicken. And at this point you will want to add the cooked bacon and about a cup or so of grated parmesan cheese.

Finally, pour your cheese bacon sauce over the brussel sprouts. Top w panko bread crumbs and bake until everything looks extra golden and yummy.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Iggy

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2020, 10:45:30 pm »
Who could guess there were so many fans of Brussels sprouts?  :P

My mother made them occasionally at home, but I don't recall them being a family favorite. I really started to take to them as an adult. As Roper said, if they're not cooked right, they're not very good, which is true of any food. I've always hated veggies cooked to death. I will have plenty of time to drink my veggies with a straw when I'm 94 years old & have no teeth.  ;D

Sprouts are also good cooked, chilled, & coarsely cut to sprinkle into salads. Mince them finer & mix with cream cheese & a bit of olive oil & apple cider vinegar (for the desired consistency) for a dip or sandwich spread. Or use mayo if you prefer (I like cream cheese). Spice it up with a bit of onion, garlic, or fresh pepper. Who needs to put up with plain mayo on a sandwich?

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Sparky

* Recent Topics

* Calendar

December 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5]
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts