Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Throw-together recipes  (Read 3075 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Throw-together recipes
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2020, 02:27:33 am »

Eating has never been a favorite pastime

I don't... understand. What language is this?

I didn't get it either.  :o

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2020, 10:58:53 am »
Can I just say how much I love Nauvoo? It's a wonderful thing to start your morning with a laugh about grilled cheese!
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupťry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Sparky

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2020, 01:28:21 pm »
Jen and Curelom,

Letís just say itís a product of my childhood.  Food is the enemy.  Iím glad you arenít afflicted with it. :)
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Sparky

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2020, 06:10:06 pm »
Jen and Curelom,

Letís just say itís a product of my childhood.  Food is the enemy.  Iím glad you arenít afflicted with it. :)
    :'(  Food was more than just needing to eat when I was growing up, it was comfort food.

Mom baked bread on Monday's and my school mates would walk home with me so they could have fresh dinner rolls, home churned butter, home made jam and raw cows milk before they ventured on home. Nope, we didn't live on a farm, we lived in Ballard, Seattle WA. The raw cows milk came from my Uncles cows - he lived in Snohomish WA. We took home the milk from his three cows when we visited on Sundays. Mom traded cinnamon rolls to his neighbor for 3 gallons of goats milk for Dad & Grandma.

As a child I couldn't understand Dad not tolerating the smell of mutton cooking and yet he loved the smell and taste of lutefisk. His heritage I guess. His Mother taught my mother how to cook the fish. No one taught her how to cook mutton. But leg of lamb, now that her own mother cooked. We all loved it.

One of the Throw-together meals I still love today is Mom's Goulash. Scramble up hamburger and cook until it is just pink. Drain well. Cook macaroni [I now use noodles-home made if I am up to it and NOT dried] for only 4 minutes, drain. Chop any or all: onions, celery including the leaves, carrots, green sweet peppers. I also add turnips, rutabagas, jicama. Saute in butter till the celery is nearly translucent. Mix the meat, pasta and vegetables in a large casserole. Add as much mushrooms as you like - for me and myself it is two 8 oz Dollar Tree jars, drained and rinsed well. Now to be more like Mom's dish, add whole canned tomatoes that you have squeezed in your hand until each tomato is in pieces, be sure to add all the liquid. What she did was put all the liquid in a quart mixing bowl, then add the herbs and spices: oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder or salt, Johnsons Seasoning salt, pepper. Or any other that you like. Mix well, then add the *nectar* of tomato, into the meat/pasta still well. Add water if the liquid does not show when you press down with a fork gently. Bake at 350 for at least 45 minutes. The pasta needs to be done but not mush. The liquid needs to be cooked up. The celery & onions tender. It is good if the pasta around the edge of the casserole dish are brown/crunchy. If after 45 minutes it needs more cooking time, do so in 10 minute increments.

When I was in the 9th grade on, I discovered rice. Loved that stuff. So I made the above recipe with partially cooked rice. As much as Mom disliked rice, she loved it made into goulash.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2020, 11:01:01 am »
Jen and Curelom,

That's awful, to have anyone weaponize food as a parental tool. Food shouldn't be used as either a bribe or a bludgeon.  :(

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12:40 am »
Back to the theme of throw-together meals:

Grits Casserole

Uncooked grits, amount for the number of servings you want. I guess the recipe with 1 cup of grits makes about 8 servings.
For each dry cup of grits:
Ĺ cup of milk
ľ cup of butter
4 beaten eggs
1Ĺ cup of grated cheddar cheese
Other ingredients, optional as desired. For each dry cup of grits, use about a pound of optional ingredients.
Cut or crumbled cooked sausage, bacon, or ham
Al dente cooked broccoli
Sliced fresh mushrooms
Minced onions.

Cook the grits according to package directions to hot cereal consistency & transfer to a baking dish. Add butter, milk, 1 cup of grated cheese, & optional ingredients, stir to melt butter & distribute ingredients. Add beaten eggs & whisk to lightly blend in the eggs throughout the mixture. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top & add a little freshly ground black pepper if you wish. Bake at 350į for 50 minutes or until the topping starts to blister & turn slightly brown.

Serve for breakfast with fruit or lunch/dinner with a salad.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:12:38 pm by Curelom »

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 09:49:12 pm »
One of my favorite things to do while cooking is to experiment until I get flavors just the way I like them.

Sloppy Joes tonight. All made in my cheap, deep, cast iron skillet.

I sauteed diced onions in butter until they started to turn translucent. Then I set them aside.
I browned ground beef and drained it. Then I combined the ground beef and onions together back in the skillet.
I added mustard, ketchup, and BBQ sauce.  Definitely tangy! And it needed salt.
I added beef bullion, a little sea salt, and a little garlic powder. That balanced the savory, salty, sweet, and tangy.
I added a little cocoa powder. That gave it just the right earthy undertone. It still needed more smoky flavor.
I added a good amount of sweet mesquite seasoning. Perfect.
I let it simmer for about 15 minutes for all the flavors to mix.

I do say, it made the best Sloppy Joes I remember ever having. Plus, my family gobbled it up. That has to be a sign of success! Or maybe hunger...
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupťry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2020, 07:08:03 pm »
Why didn't you cook the onions with the ground beef or cook the beef in the onions once translucent?

curlybat

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2020, 09:11:28 pm »
Misread the "Recent Posts" list as "Throw-together recipes with Beef" but then I go to the post and beefche is posting about beef!
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2020, 10:18:26 pm »
Why didn't you cook the onions with the ground beef or cook the beef in the onions once translucent?
It's easier for me to tell when things are cooked exactly the way I like them if I do them separately. Plus, I really like the flavor of sweet onions sauteed in butter.

The following users thanked this post: beefche, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2020, 07:48:25 pm »
This is really simple, but can spruce up sandwiches when everyone is fed up with sandwiches. Make (or buy if you're lazy) a pint or so of potato salad or deviled eggs, but add a little more mayo, or some store-bought salad dressing in your favorite flavor. Smash up everything finer than you would for normal use, or even pulse it for a couple seconds in your food processor. It should come out a little thinner than orange marmalade or chunky peanut butter

You're not going to serve this as a salad. You're going to use it as a sandwich spread. Everyone isn't fed up with sandwiches, but with boring sandwiches. Use the mixture on rolls with ham, salami, turkey, or roast beef & see if it isn't a welcome change from (yawn) mayo or mustard. Even toasting the rolls or bread occasionally is good, because different textures add variety. And use different kinds of bread if you feed the kids sandwiches a few times a week.

Save whatever is left for the next day's sandwiches, or use it as a dip for crackers or chips. Maybe your cat or dog would like a spoonful or two mixed with their food (but make sure there are no ingredients that are bad for pets' health).

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Happy Birthday, Goody! by Jana at Jade House