Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Throw-together recipes  (Read 5947 times)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Throw-together recipes
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2020, 10:02:22 am »
Roper, I do the same thing. It's a great use of leftover fries. Admittedly, I don't bother chopping them.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 03:46:49 am »
Leftover french fries? What's that?

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2020, 09:00:05 pm »
Do you like Brussels sprouts? Some people claim to hate them, but I'm one of quite a few I know who really like them. You can use them in some of the same ways as cabbage, except I think they need to be cooked. Try corned beef & Brussels sprouts for St. Paddy's Day.

This is one of my go-to lunches. It has green veggie & protein. Isn't that the basics of a balanced meal? I had it today. No measurements, use whatever amount you like.

Prepare Brussels sprouts by cutting off the stem end & any tough outer leaves. For steaming, it's typical to cut an X in the stem end for even cooking, because sprouts are very dense. For this, slice each in half lengthwise. Rinse lightly (little rinsing needed because they are so tightly closed).

While sprouts are draining, cut bacon into pieces (about coin size) & cook partly, depending on however you like bacon cooked. Don't drain the fat. You need it to cook the sprouts & for the protein value & flavor! Add sprouts & let them cook on medium until done as preferred. It might take 10 minutes or more depending on the size of the sprouts, which is why I only partly cook the bacon to start. At medium, I don't have to hover by the stove, although like with any frying, I stay within sight for safety reasons. Stir occasionally so the cut & outer sides are cooked evenly. The sprouts will be a little browned when done. Drain off any excess fat now if you wish.

Season with a little fresh-ground pepper if you wish. I often have this by itself, but it goes well with potatoes, egg noodles, rice, any bland carb.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2020, 11:56:38 pm »
Thanks, Curelom. Brussels sprouts are one of the few foods I dislike. I never ate them growing up. The first time I had them was in the Chow Hall in military basic training. I think they had been boiled for too long. Anyway, they were luke warm and slimey. I had to eat all of them before I took my tray to the hopper. I have successfully avoided them for over 30 years. Maybe it's time for another try. I mean, bacon can make just about anything taste good.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupťry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Sparky

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2020, 09:22:50 pm »
Oh, the brussel sprouts at Longhorn Restaurant are just divine. I could go there just for the sprouts, though the steak is decent, too. I wish I knew how they fixed them. I think it's time for a web search!

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2020, 01:38:37 am »
Thanks, Curelom. Brussels sprouts are one of the few foods I dislike. I never ate them growing up. The first time I had them was in the Chow Hall in military basic training. I think they had been boiled for too long. Anyway, they were luke warm and slimey. I had to eat all of them before I took my tray to the hopper. I have successfully avoided them for over 30 years. Maybe it's time for another try. I mean, bacon can make just about anything taste good.

I'm so sorry you had to eat over cooked, slimy sprouts. Sprouts, cut the root end off then make a single slit up from the end up it the sprout. I have sprinkled olive oil or seasoned with Mrs. Dash melted butter on them, or spicy italian dressing, put in a single layer in a baking dish and back at 350 degrees until they are almost fork tender, then serve with any meat. I love pork loin chops made with the same dressing and baked with them.

My mother steamed them till they barely let the fork go when you pierced them, then drizzled melted butter on them & seasoned with a tiny bit of salt and plenty of black ground pepper.

Hubs likes them steamed al dente and covered in cheese sauce. Same for asparagus. He seems to think he hates cooked cabbage, so I substitute sprouts when I make corned beef & cabbage.[or as my Grandma, Mom, Dad and all the Aunts & Uncles calls it  Boiled Dinner] He loves that Baby Cabbage a lot. :) 

We pretty much had two vegetables for dinner \\no, potatoes was never considered a vegetable// thus with the brussels or asparagus we would have whole small beets. Yum :-*

:

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper, Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2020, 01:01:40 pm »
I love to throw halved Brussels sprouts into sheet pan dinners. I'm so limited on what I can eat these days, the variety is very nice!

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2020, 08:06:44 pm »
Here's one recipe for the Longhorn brussel sprouts, but I don't think it's the one that is used for the sprouts I ate recently. But, it looks pretty interesting!

First, blanch your brussel sprouts lightly, id say about 3 mins in boiling water. Then take them out to cool on a plate. After they are cool, cut them in half length wise and lay them in the bottom of your baking dish, flat side up. Thats step one.

In a small sauce pan or skillet, cook about a half pound of bacon or pancetta. (I would use bacon). You want the bacon to be minced aomewhat small as well. Save some of the leftover bacon fat for later. Set the cooked bacon aside. Thats step two.

Next youíre going to put about a 3/4 of a cup of heavy cream into a saucepan. Add your reserved bacon grease to this as well. Slowly simmer this, so as not to scald it. When its warm but not boiling, slowly sprinkle in a few tablespoons of flour. This will make the cream mixture thicken. And at this point you will want to add the cooked bacon and about a cup or so of grated parmesan cheese.

Finally, pour your cheese bacon sauce over the brussel sprouts. Top w panko bread crumbs and bake until everything looks extra golden and yummy.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Iggy, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2020, 10:45:30 pm »
Who could guess there were so many fans of Brussels sprouts?  :P

My mother made them occasionally at home, but I don't recall them being a family favorite. I really started to take to them as an adult. As Roper said, if they're not cooked right, they're not very good, which is true of any food. I've always hated veggies cooked to death. I will have plenty of time to drink my veggies with a straw when I'm 94 years old & have no teeth.  ;D

Sprouts are also good cooked, chilled, & coarsely cut to sprinkle into salads. Mince them finer & mix with cream cheese & a bit of olive oil & apple cider vinegar (for the desired consistency) for a dip or sandwich spread. Or use mayo if you prefer (I like cream cheese). Spice it up with a bit of onion, garlic, or fresh pepper. Who needs to put up with plain mayo on a sandwich?

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2021, 04:59:00 pm »
Throw-together means you donít have to measure at all. You can just realize after a nice afternoon nap that everyone is tired of delivery pizza, so you collect leftovers or cans & throw them together. Thatís when the chili pan throw-together comes in handy for brunch, lunch, or dinner.

Ingredients:

- Chile, home-made or purchased, whatever quantity you want/need.
- Cut corn, fresh, frozen, or canned. (I donít like canned veggies, & always have frozen corn & peas in my fridge b/c they are my favorites). Again, amount varies, & corn is great for extending the dish if you only had one leftover bowl of chili.
- Eggs Ė 1 for every 1 to 2 servings.*
- Cheese, shredded or thinly diced. (Cheddar or Monterey Jack would be the most compatible flavor).

Mix chili & corn, heat at ML to M in skillet until it bubbles lightly. Top with the eggs. *For eggs sunny side up, use one per serving & place them gently on the chili. Otherwise, you can use fewer eggs, scramble separately before adding, then pour on evenly as a topping.

Cook at ML to M while chili continues to bubble & eggs are done to your preference. Or you can stick the pan under the broiler for this & the final step: top with cheese & heat until it melts.

Optional: Sliced olives or green onions sprinkled on top or served on the side.

Serve with tortilla chips or warm tortillas & cold fruit juice or drink.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:53:43 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2021, 01:38:14 am »
Kids won't eat veggies? 🥕🥦🌶 Here's a way to sneak a small dose into them, & to use stubs that might ordinarily go into the garbage or compost pile.

When you wash & trim broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, etc., remove the stems & keep the actual veggie pieces. For celery, may be good to strip off the strings. Pulse for a second or two in blender, or chop fine in hand food chopper. Mix together or not - if you don't,  you end up with a bigger choice of bright, appealing colors.

Mix with mayo, cream cheese, or butter for a sandwich spread. Or put plain spread on toast or bread & have the kiddos make designs from the minced veggies, which they may be more likely to eat since they made it themselves. Thin the mixture with fruit juice or whatever as a dip for crackers or (if you get lucky) celery or carrot sticks. Use as a colorful garnish on potatoes, pasta, rice, or quinoa. Add to smoothies. Refrigerate leftovers for a couple of days.

Use your imagination. If you can get even a tablespoon of minced broccoli or carrot ends into them, that's progress. 😛

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2021, 02:19:15 am »
My little brothers three children just would not eat vegetables. He and I are veggie lovers - raw, cooked. some what cooked. He had this huge back yard so I brought over these huge peat pots that the local nursery where I lived were going to smash up to use as compost. I knew the owners and asked if I could have them.

I brought 12 pots, brother went and got some land fill soil and the kids and I planted veggies for Mom and Daddy. The starts I got from Territorial Seed Company located in Cottage Grove, Or. I stayed with my brother for a week, and along with Mom & Daddy we taught the little kids how to care for the veggies.

To my astonishment, those kids took great care of those vegetables. When it came time to harvest them not only did Mom and Dad eat them, so did the kids. One experiment that went great. There are now four kids and two grandbabies who all love veggies.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2021, 03:11:55 am »
Thatís a great idea, Iggy, & it works best when people have space to do their planting. For folks who live in cities & may have a very small yard or none at all if they live in apartments, a few square feet, or a countertop or other small container garden might be all they can manage. But they might still be able to grow a few herbs on a window ledge, or a catnip plant for their cat. Even very young children can handle a tiny garden like that.

Many urban schools have gardens that students work on as part of their school curriculum, & they get to make something grow, tend it, see the results, & maybe make a class lunch, host parents or other classes for a lunch, take samples home or give away excess if they have a bumper crop. If a school canít have its own garden, there might be community gardens available to them.

Different parts of the gardening experience can teach kids about planning, teamwork, committing to a task & finishing it (& if they donít, they get the disappointment of seeing their plants wilt & die). They can incorporate the garden into math, science, environmental stewardship, nutrition & health lessons. For some kids in inner city neighborhoods, it might be their first time doing hands-on gardening. And we see lots of stories about youngsters who eagerly gobble up veggies or fruit once theyíve had the fun & accomplishment of raising their own.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sparky

* Recent Topics

topic Can you run from bad church culture?
[Latter-day Saint Life]
Jana at Jade House
Today at 05:10:08 am
topic President Bingham's Seminary Teachers
[Latter-day Saint Life]
pnr
March 05, 2021, 05:02:57 pm
topic MOVED: Cancel Culture
[General Discussion]
dyany
March 04, 2021, 08:45:50 pm
topic Cancel Culture
[Politics]
N3uroTypical
March 04, 2021, 05:01:35 pm
topic Current Events - US Politics Edition
[Politics]
N3uroTypical
March 04, 2021, 04:40:11 pm
topic Household & travel hints
[Everything Else]
Curelom
March 04, 2021, 03:29:58 pm
topic Will the Lord allow a faithful member of the church to go hungry or homeless?
[General Discussion]
Jason
March 02, 2021, 09:53:21 am
topic COVID-19
[Covid-19]
Jason
March 02, 2021, 09:43:58 am
topic The Feel-Good Thread
[Current Events & News]
Palmon
February 27, 2021, 09:34:52 pm
topic The 1 true diet
[Health and Wellness]
Palmon
February 22, 2021, 05:31:02 am
topic D&C 13
[Virtual Sunday School]
cook
February 21, 2021, 06:30:06 am
topic Impeachment
[Politics]
Roper
February 18, 2021, 03:36:47 pm
topic opinions valued
[General Discussion]
JLM
February 16, 2021, 05:41:16 pm
topic What are you reading?
[Literature & Poetry]
Curelom
February 13, 2021, 12:47:10 am
topic I finally found a doctor who listened
[Member News]
Palmon
February 11, 2021, 08:56:31 pm

* Calendar

March 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
[7] 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Can you run from bad church culture? by Jana at Jade House
[Today at 05:10:08 am]

Re: Can you run from bad church culture? by JLM
[Today at 12:01:59 am]

Re: Can you run from bad church culture? by Palmon
[March 06, 2021, 01:33:36 pm]

Can you run from bad church culture? by Jen
[March 06, 2021, 01:15:46 pm]

Re: President Bingham's Seminary Teachers by pnr
[March 05, 2021, 05:02:57 pm]

Re: President Bingham's Seminary Teachers by AndrewR
[March 05, 2021, 04:28:12 am]

MOVED: Cancel Culture by dyany
[March 04, 2021, 08:45:50 pm]

Re: Cancel Culture by N3uroTypical
[March 04, 2021, 05:01:35 pm]

Re: Cancel Culture by N3uroTypical
[March 04, 2021, 04:55:49 pm]

Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition by N3uroTypical
[March 04, 2021, 04:40:11 pm]

Re: Household & travel hints by Curelom
[March 04, 2021, 03:29:58 pm]

Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition by Curelom
[March 04, 2021, 03:11:58 pm]

Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition by Roper
[March 02, 2021, 11:42:33 pm]

Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition by Jason
[March 02, 2021, 11:22:54 pm]

Re: Will the Lord allow a faithful member of the church to go hungry or homeless? by Jason
[March 02, 2021, 09:53:21 am]

* Top Posters

Roper Roper
2131 Posts
Curelom
1689 Posts
dyany dyany
1262 Posts
Taalcon
791 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
656 Posts