Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: DEADLY STREET DRUG EPIDEMIC  (Read 1900 times)

Curelom

• View Profile
DEADLY STREET DRUG EPIDEMIC
« on: April 03, 2016, 01:29:19 am »
The Sacramento CA area is having a horrible outbreak of deaths from a street drug that closely resembles a prescription pain med but contains Fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 80x more potent than morphine. In less than a week, Sacramento reports 9 deaths, with 36 ODs as of yesterday. San Joaquin County (just south, where Stockton is) has had 18 cases, but I’m not clear on whether those are counted in with the Sacramento cases.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article69439362.html

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sacramento/disguised-pills-responsible-for-9-deaths-in-sacramento-area/38803688

Picture of the pill:

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sacramento/what-we-know-about-sacramento-county-painkillerrelated-overdoses/38757606

Victims are male & female, ages 18-59. They all got the pills from non-professional sources, IOW on the street, from a friend or FOAF, etc. Some seem to just be folks in dire need of a pain med who made a terrible mistake.

A lot of street drugs come from China, but I don’t know if anyone knows yet where this batch came from or why the epicenter is this area. But we all know that any street drug that shows up anywhere in America can eventually end up in our neighborhood.

I doubt many Nauvoodles are actual abusers, but desperation can make folks do drastic things. So can ignorance, so warn your kids or other vulnerable people to never take meds from any questionable source. With so many street drugs, date-rape drugs etc. floating around, kids raiding their parents’ meds & playing pharmacist with each other, I’m sorry to say I’d probably define friends as a “questionable source.”

According to the Sacramento Dept. of Public Health: “Public Health advises residents to decline from taking prescription-type pills that are not prescribed by and obtained from one's own physician and/or pharmacy.”

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: DEADLY STREET DRUG EPIDEMIC
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 02:38:38 am »
I'm just chiming in to say that I HATE fentanyl.  Dang stuff doesn't usually cut my pain, but it sure as heck makes me throw up. 

Then again, most prescription painkillers don't work too well for me, anyway.  Which I think is actually a huge blessing, because with my various injuries and surgeries and such, it would be far too easy for me to have become addicted by now if they actually worked. :P

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 12:55:59 pm »
Utah has recently passed a law allow people to buy an opiod overdose medicine that reverses the effect, without prescription.  I read last week about its availability in various drug stores.   It is costly, but if I were in Utah, I'd urge families to have one at home for their own use if necessary or to give another family in the middle of a crisis.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:10:54 pm »
A lot of info about Naloxone is available on the internet; it isn't a new drug.

Naloxone is an anti-opiate that has been a prescription for decades. It counters the effects on the brain of opiates like oxycodone, codeine, morphine, heroin, & the fentanyl-laced fake Norco pills that are killing people in Sacramento. It has long been used by paramedics & in recent years has begun to be carried by police officers & firefighters who also see ODs on emergency calls. Now it is widely available w/o Rx (IOW, been “de-listed”) in many states, including Utah. Walgreen’s & CVS are among the retail pharmacies that have it in many U.S. states.

pnr is suggesting having it handy, especially in homes where someone uses an opiate Rx. This may feel like overkill to people who think “We aren’t junkies; when are we ever going to have to worry about a heroin OD?” Unfortunately it is not news that Utah has an appalling rate of Rx (prescription, therefore "legit" or "safe" in many people's minds) overdoses, & many are not by addicts seeking a high but accidental, by a prescribed user or family member. Prevention is always the best cure – patients using their meds exactly as prescribed & securing them away from kids or anyone who might misuse them, but stuff happens. This is a problem in many countries, as the Guardian story indicates.

http://www.utahnaloxone.org

http://news.walgreens.com/press-releases/general-news/walgreens-leads-fight-against-prescription-drug-abuse-with-new-programs-to-help-curb-misuse-of-medications-and-the-rise-in-overdose-deaths.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jan/29/selling-opioid-overdose-antidote-naloxone-over-counter-will-save-lives
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:27:18 pm by Curelom »

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
"Somebody should have set a match to this place long ago."

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:54:41 am »
People are still doing it.  :(    Since the weekend, another person has died & there are more ODs.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article69858842.html

As to what neuro said – if actual drug abusers are being saved by paramedics or police with Narcan (trade name for Naloxone), let’s hope they learn their lesson. They have been saved by grace from their own choices & I hope they never do it again.

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 11:52:14 am »
The US sees around 25,000 deaths per year from prescription drug overdoses, compared to around 5000 from cocaine and 10,000 (and growing) from heroin.  We're worried about heroin because whereas rates are relatively stable for the other drugs, the heroin chart looks like this:

"Somebody should have set a match to this place long ago."

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 12:43:13 am »
Here's a variation on this theme; different drug, but causing problems: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/04/23/at-least-six-men-overdose-near-l-a-s-skid-row-on-synthetic-drug-some-are-calling-an-epidemic/

This hits closer to home than I would like, because I have a homeless family member in the area.  Last I heard he was not on Skid Row, but close enough to worry now.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:35:47 pm »
Sacramento has not had any fatal ODs since late April, so it might be that the crisis for that city is over for now. But that doesn’t mean counterfeit fentanyl (or any other opiates requiring medical supervision) are not a problem, or that this kind of epidemic won’t happen in another area. So, just a word for the wise about taking any kind of drug or medication from anyone other than a trusted health provider.

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 07:30:23 pm »
Fentanyl has another victim: the autopsy report on Prince says that he died from an overdose of this opioid prescription med.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/medical/article/Prince-s-death-adds-to-opioid-overdose-epidemic-s-7959528.php

It can happen to anyone – even prominent people who can afford the best of medical care. Maybe even more so, since such people often have multiple “trusted health providers” who may overlap each other while none of them have a full picture of the person’s overall health situation & may not even know about all the person’s other “trusted health providers.”

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 01:46:14 am »
Fentanyl has another victim: the autopsy report on Prince says that he died from an overdose of this opioid prescription med.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/medical/article/Prince-s-death-adds-to-opioid-overdose-epidemic-s-7959528.php

It can happen to anyone – even prominent people who can afford the best of medical care. Maybe even more so, since such people often have multiple “trusted health providers” who may overlap each other while none of them have a full picture of the person’s overall health situation & may not even know about all the person’s other “trusted health providers.”
Whether you have two or more physicians, ALL pharmacies are connected to a data base that is supposed to prevent this. That is IF Prince actually went to a pharmacy with a script and purchased his own Rx. Clear back in the 70's, this data-base was in nearly all of the US. South Dakota was one of the last to join. I could get my Rx filled in Oregon, then also get them filled in So. Dak. My Grandmother got Rx filled that were from her Dr. she had when she lived in Washington state. Her Dr. in South Dakota knew nothing of these Rx's until I took all of the bottles to him. All she had to do was take an empty Rx bottle in to the pharmacy and they would fill it. It didn't matter what the original date or even where it had been filled previously.

I love that my pharmacy is online, I can put in my information, request a refill and the pharmacy checks not only with my insurance carrier, but also with my current PC physician.

Now I am not so naive that I don't believe that *stars* Dr's, don't carry around narcotics to dole out to their patients. But when one does die of an overdose, then the Dr really needs to be held accountable.

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:54 pm »
The drug OD epidemic isn’t so much in the news at the moment, but it hasn’t stopped. One Ohio county coroner (the Dayton area) has had to bring in a refrigerated trailer & ask local hospitals to rent space, since they have too little morgue space for all the bodies. They estimate 65% of the deaths they are seeing currently are from opioid overdoses.

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/overdoses-force-ohio-coroner-use-funeral-home-store-bodies/oNRSMKdzPqefAfiRowCmYP/

PLEASE continue to educate everyone you possibly can about the lethal effects of synthetic opioids, & in fact of taking any kind of meds from a source other than a health professional or pharmacy. Sadly, even a relative or friend may not qualify as a “trusted source.”

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 01:49:54 am »
People are still doing it - poisoning themselves to death with illicit drugs. :(

This time it is heroin, & it's a mini-epidemic in Santa Rosa CA, a city of less than 200,000 people about 70 miles north of San Francisco.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/10-heroin-deaths-reported-in-Santa-Rosa-over-the-11099194.php

For my purposes, & not necessarily everyone's, "illicit drug" covers a multitude of things: illegal drugs; controlled substances used by people who shouldn't have them; bootleg drugs, those made & sold by unauthorized or unqualified parties that would be legal if made & sold legally; perfectly good Rx or OTC meds being misused; homegrown marijuana sold to someone other than the grower without going through a quality control; marijuana for other than legitimate medicinal use (IOW, getting high); & maybe others I forgot to mention. My own position is that if I didn't get it from a doctor, dentist, pharmacist, or other health professional, a retail store, or a trustworthy family member (& not all are), it's suspect. It's too bad we have to be so cynical, but better safe than sorry, sick, or dead.

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 12:43:24 am »
And now it is an elephant tranquilizer. Whaaat? Yes, an incredibly potent opioid called carfentanil is appearing in heroin being sold on the street. This article focuses on Minnesota, but it could show up anyplace. It seems much of it is coming from China. Maybe the public, health & law enforcement professionals need to pressure the government to go after China about the flow of illicit drugs from there into the U.S. as a condition of maintaining favorable trade relations.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Elephant-tranquilizer-makes-lethal-entry-into-11101888.php

This stuff is 10,000x as powerful as morphine, According to a DEA agent, all the zoos & veterinarians in the United States combined need only 18 grams, the equivalent of 18 little packets of artificial coffee sweetener, in an entire year. An adult elephant can weigh up to 12,000-13,000 pounds & an average adult human 100-200 pounds - do the math.

The amount in a few grains can be fatal to a human, as little as the puff of powder expelled when you close a bag. Emergency responders are now worrying that they could be harmed or killed during emergency calls by contact with someone who has used it.

* Top Posters

Curelom
931 Posts
Roper Roper
810 Posts
dyany dyany
674 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
542 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
401 Posts

* Board Statistics