Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 46541 times)

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #840 on: July 04, 2018, 06:39:52 pm »
Yep, my Cub Scouts came by this morning to raise the flag. They're off on a hike now, but will be back later to light up the firepit, retire the flag, and then we'll make s'mores and relax around the fire.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:41:33 pm by GoodyScrivener »

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 05, 2018, 01:40:48 am »
Poor Ivie is about out of her mind. People have been setting off fireworks around the neighborhood all day, & nonstop since the sun set. Ivie is very skittish & touchy about anything to do with fire, smoke, or explosions, because she was a rescue cat who was taken away from an owner who burned her & another cat with cigarettes & also broke her foot. This happens at every holiday when there are fireworks – the Fourth, New Year’s Eve, Chinese New Year. We have to put her in a carrier with blankets & toys, latch it & put it in the quietest part of the Cabin, & have one or more of the other critters keep her company, but she can still hear. Dreyfuss & Punkin have been bringing her tidbits, sitting there, trying to calm her down, but she’s having a tough time.

As dry as California is again (we’ve got some major wildfires going, as do Utah, Colorado, & a couple of other states), I fret that the fireworks will start a fire in the park or on someone’s roof. I saw a report that charity fundraisers selling fireworks are having trouble in Sonoma & Napa counties, a backlash after last fall’s terrible wildfires that killed 44 people & destroyed 9,000 homes, including 5,000 in Santa Rosa alone.

Otherwise, we’ve had a relaxing Fourth, with a few neighbors coming over for our BBQ & picnic. The Porchupines & guests contributed burgers, franks (the pets have forbidden us to call them hotdogs), grilled eggplant, potato salad, green salad, apple & peach cobblers, carrot cake, & assorted beverages. Goody & the scouts came back & some of the picnic people were still around, so we did the s’mores. Ivie was OK with that fire because she knows us & knows we wouldnit use it to hurt her.

Everyone has left except the Porchupines, & we’re going to try to get Ivie calmed down so we can all go to sleep. But the fireworks are still going. I don’t imagine the police are breaking their necks to chase after everyone doing it, or even responding if residents are calling. They’re just gonna wait until something catches fire & let the FD take care of it. :D

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 05, 2018, 10:45:21 am »
Shamefaced she arrives late to the party.  I did not fly my flag today.  I cannot believe it.

Michaela

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:29 pm »
It’s ok Jana.  Some years are like that.  I usually display the flag but forgot this year.  When Ryan passed away I  lost  my internal calendar.  It’s an odd thing, I’m sure there’s some kind of logic behind it, but until yesterday when I turned on tv it was still early June in my mind.  If I don’t look at the calendar, the date doesn’t exist.  Seasons come and go faster than I ever thought possible.  And sometimes you just have to recognize you can’t do all things for all occasions.

It’s odd, though.  You all haven’t aged a bit since I was here years ago.  You are all as beautiful as ever.  Maybe sometimes time really does stop.  Especially on the porch.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 05, 2018, 01:50:40 pm »
Day before yesterday I got set up to call my older brother to wish him a Happy Birthday when it really hit me that he is on the other side of the Veil, with his son, our parents and all of the kin folk who have gone before him.

I quit going out to see the fireworks back in 1992. Trying to find parking for the car and a comfortable spot for me to be for the 35 minutes of fireworks just isn't & wasn't enjoyable for me. Prior to 1992, my home was within 1/2 mile of where they were being set off. I could sit out on my little balcony (just large enough for my love seat and small rocking chair) in comfort - and watch. My young dog and senior cat were snug in the guest room closet with the closet and bedroom doors shut with just 1 inch opening for them to *nose* their way out when all the noise stopped.

This is the first year since *forever* I have been without my fur babies during the raucous 4th celebrations. For the 16 years I had Fred and 15 years Ethel was with me, they would get under my legs while I sat in my chair and want me to cover them up with a blanket.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 06, 2018, 03:50:42 am »
I’m so glad to see you, Michaela!

Things have been same old same old here. Too hot for comfort.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 06, 2018, 11:09:09 pm »
Weird weather, & still contributing to dangerous wildfires around the West. It's been warm & muggy in the Bay Area, & hot enough in Southern California to be a health risk for some folks. At least I'm near the coast where we get some cooling ocean air, or I can take the critters to the beach when it gets too hot here. I hope the CrowFamily & Libertygranny are staying cool.

** Waves in a generally southeast direction hoping they'll see **

Michaela

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 09, 2018, 07:57:14 pm »
I seem to be lost somewhere near the cabin.  I can hear Curelom calling but I can’t seem to figure nd the right path.  First there’s the street sign that says, General, then the one that says Cabin.  But when I get to the cabin there seems to be nothing left but the front door.  Once I get through that, there’s only the back door and nothing in between.  I don’t think I understand this place.  It’s hard to get around.  Especially on my cell phone.  There must be signposts I’ve missed but . . . Where?  Hallllloooooooooo!  Anybody there?

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 10, 2018, 04:04:19 am »
Hi, Michaela – I know, it’s confusing being around the new Cabin since you’ve only been here a few times. After we bought this place & started moving in, we made a few alterations because of different Incabitants’ needs, including the Dutch, West, & North doors. When you were here the other day, I think you found the Cabin, because you saw the flag & the piano.

This is what I think happens sometimes. This is a virtual Cabin, so it has special qualities not found in ordinary houses. People come & go through the special doors. For instance, Jana had the Dutch door put in, & Laurie needed the West door, & the North door leads to Canada & Alaska. Any of us, including the critters, can go back & forth through the doors. And as they are doing that, maybe the Cabin is transformed in some way or goes into some special dimension, like the Twilight Zone, for just an instant. If you happen to be here at that instant, you may see something different from the normal Cabin, or not see anything at all. You may not see or hear the people or pets even if they’re here.

When we first moved here, there were times I thought I was in the wrong place, but after getting used to it, I don’t seem to notice it anymore, or maybe it doesn’t happen to us once we’re settled in. So just keep spending time here & you should be fine.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 11, 2018, 02:12:24 am »
*the Dutch door freaks open*  hmmm better get some WD40 on those hinges.  It is bone dry in Cheeseland, everything is browning up. Water restriction is in force in some areas.  And we have seen higher than normal temps here too.  So we have been hand watering the vegetables.  It takes hours so we don't waste water on the paths and non essentials.  The crops seem to be doing well.  We are off for 10 days to my brother. Who knows what will be left when we return...except club sized zucchini.
Himself travels alone a lot these days. I am only traveling 3 weeks with him this summer.  Except for our annual Crowfamily  event in March and a 3 week stint in November to Colorado, That's the extent for 2018.  I think.  Last year was so crazy, I had to just slow up for a while.
And a couple of broken toes sorta slowed down the slow down.
Sweet pea left her partner of 4 years. She is still in London for her Masters.  No one in the family will miss him.  She does, but it was her decision, and a good one. She is regaining her life. 
The Boy is still chipping away in Neuro Science. Hopefully his bachelors in the fall, the on to advanced degrees. His autism complicates things but he is coping with his life in great ways. He is a good man.
So the garden, the children, a little church, a lot of creative work keeps me out of the cabin. 
I see Michaela has been. What a joy to know you are still around, sister.
Curelom always keeps an eye on things around here....where is the WD40?
Ok back to work I have to sew20 buttons on my new outfit.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 11, 2018, 01:23:54 pm »
Here we are, Jana. I'll squirt a bit on the hinges & put some graphite in the latches & keyway. It's always so nice to have you come over here, so we need to keep that door in good working order! I don't even know why there's a lock, since we never need them here at the Cabin. Should we just replace it with a regular doorknob?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:26:35 pm by Curelom »

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 11, 2018, 01:33:25 pm »
Michaela & Jana & I are relaxing on the front Porch, sipping lemonade, enjoying the fresh air & peaceful setting. A doe & fawn are drinking from the critters' wading pool while the critters watch & Punkin tries to make friends with the little one. Mom just looks looks on placidly. The local wildlife all know our critters & aren't spooked them by them anymore.

If anyone wants some lemonade, a sandwich, potato or fruit salad, & a little social visit, drop on by. Bring your knitting, book, or whatever, or being a frisbee or two if you want to play with the pets.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 12, 2018, 02:28:43 am »
there's no lock on mg side. It's a slide latch because double Dutch doors require them to keep all the parts of the door in line.  They get rusty though so thanks for the WD40 to keep them running. 
Looking forward to a slow down day before we fly.
first I pack and organize something for dinner using up fridge leftovers.
Boy will have a pretty nice care package to take home after dropping us at the airport.

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 12, 2018, 06:40:47 pm »
We have a case of WD-40 in one of the utility closets. I had pallets of the stuff at work because WD-40 didn't want it back after the last round of testing, so I've been giving it away to everyone I know.   It's pretty amazing stuff.  The company even has a PDF file on their website that lists over 2,000 uses for it (some of which are kind of duplicative, but hey, whatcha gonna do).

https://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 13, 2018, 02:28:26 am »
Jana, I'm sorry to hear about your toes. I hope they aren't related to the stubborn door, either from the door rebounding & hitting your foot or your kicking the door in frustration!  ::)  And hopefully they won't interfere with your trip.

Goody, I wonder if the neighbors would like some WD-40. We have the Clowers family with their sheep on the other side of the hill, in fact they are even closer than when we lived at Old Nauvoo. And the retired police horse ranch is across the valley, & they are always helping us out with something or other. Both of them probably have lots more uses for WD-40 than our little old Cabin (but don't give away the whole case!)

Punkin isn't here tonight. She met a couple of wildlife biologists who are out here studying bats & "invited" herself to spend a couple of days with them. She was able to show them that she knows where the bat hideouts are, & she can tell when bats are nearby & lead people close without spooking the bats the way plain old humans might. They're camped in the woods between here & the Clowers place & Punkin is staying there, & probably eating well too, because I saw the ice chests they had in the back of their van! The researchers have promised to acknowledge Punkin as an assistant when they write up their findings. :)

* Top Posters

Curelom
1268 Posts
Roper Roper
1065 Posts
dyany dyany
795 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
651 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts