Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 48743 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #825 on: May 07, 2018, 12:49:36 am »
* Slips into Cabin quietly in case anyone is asleep. *

I think I see a human body in one of the armchairs but can't tell who it is. Maybe it's Laurie - she seems to spend a lot of time here.

* Bundle of fur emerges from couch & climbs up my arm. *

Hi, Punkin! Did you miss me? I was only away for a couple of days. Look, I brought back salmon, your favorite. I have the other critters' favorites too. It's all going in the fridge now, because it's too late to make you a fancy meal. We don't have 24-hour room service. This isn't the Ritz, you know. :D

I hope all the Incabitants are well. Almost everyone I know has hay fever now, so something is literally in the air. Having the non-allergenic pets here at the Cabin/Porch is such a blessing.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 07, 2018, 11:05:33 pm »
It probably was me you saw, although I wasn't the only one here.

I've been keeping our furballs fed, and a few of them came with me out the west door to Sri Lanka where they've been soaking up the sun and watching the crows and other birds flying around. They really like my balconies. :)

If anyone is looking to avoid hay fever, it's not a huge problem in Sri Lanka I don't think.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 16, 2018, 12:55:54 pm »
Oy!  I have been so busy fixing my house that I have not checked in here!  It has been a year since I purchased my little single wide, and I am finaly getting hot and cold running water....thank goodness for indoor plumbing. (I can't tell you how much nicer bathroom visits are when you can just move a little lever to dispose of contents rather than carrying in buckets of water for that purpose ;) )

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jana at Jade House

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 16, 2018, 03:18:01 pm »
Welcome back, Redd! While you're getting your own "cabin" squared away, you can always drop in here to use the kitchen, bath, etc. It's rare that anything ever goes wrong or breaks down, since it's a cyber-Cabin.

The critters missed you, especially Punkin. She told me. You'll never guess how - she is the smartest cat I've ever seen. When I got here, even though you had left, she was purring & looking content, & she went to a bookshelf & started pawing at a particular book. I took it out & it wasn't about animals, or anything especially interesting. I put it back & she reached for it again, a couple of times. Finally it dawned on me what she was trying to say. The book cover was RED! And here I thought cats were colorblind & didn't understand language!  :)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 16, 2018, 10:42:24 pm »
Redd! So glad you're here! It's great to hear you have running water again. I don't ever want to be without that, so I don't know how crazy that might have made you feel. But so glad you have it now!
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 25, 2018, 09:06:59 pm »
With all the serious & ponderous topics going on here, I thought Iíd pop into the Cabin with this lighter story about a cat who sails the ocean with his person & serves an indispensable purpose on the crew, which consists of just the two of them. I figured our critters would especially enjoy this, but I hope it doesnít give them ideas about flying the coop. Most of them would be smart enough, but I doubt any of them would want to give up the easy life to actually go to work on deck. :D

https://tinyurl.com/Seafaring-kitty

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, palmetto_gal

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 13, 2018, 09:10:08 am »
Did everyone see the stories & videos of the raccoon climbing the 25-story building in St. Paul? By the time I saw it, he was already safe, but it was still nerve-wracking to watch him inching up the vertical wall, stopping on ledges occasionally to rest. The wall must not have been totally smooth but maybe had something like a textured surface that he could cling to. Seeing him on the narrow ledges 20-plus stories up, looking down at the city, is enough to give you vertigo.  :o

Our critters watched it & they were terrified. Cats & some dogs can climb, but not like that. He was literally holding on to the wall with his claws.   

Here are a couple of links. There are many different versions - this practically collapsed the internet.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/national/raccoon-scales-skyscraper-in-minnesota

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/12/raccoon-climbs-building-skyscraper-st-louis-minnesota-twitter
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:17:03 pm by Curelom »

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 15, 2018, 01:56:03 am »

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 19, 2018, 12:30:31 am »
Hiya all!

Hope everybody's doing well!

I would like to PM (or email) with an LDS who has advanced kidney disease and/or going through dialysis. There are some things going on that may be a result of my kidney disease/dialysis/transplant, and I'd like to compare notes and see if someone else has noticed the same issues. The issues are not very TMI. I just don't think someone will understand it unless they have experienced it too.

Thanks!
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 19, 2018, 04:33:15 pm »
Hi, Kazbert - it's nice to see you, & I hope you get some people contacting you to compare experiences with. I hope all is going well otherwise.

I **think** most Nauvoodles peek into the Cabin now & then, but in case some don't (a Cabin might be intimidating to some people, because I hear there is a horror or slasher movie by that name), you might post on the Forum & Member News forum too.

We are now in June Gloom on the California coast, so it's foggy, & when the fog thins out, it's overcast. I don't think we had two hours of real sunlight yesterday, & today is moving in that direction too. But it isn't cold. So I have fresh lemonade & a watermelon in the kitchen in case anyone has a dry throat. (The watermelon has claw marks on the outside, but not to worry, I heard the critters bickering over it in time & snatched it from the brink of destruction before they got in).

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 19, 2018, 07:18:40 pm »
I have a friend who is LDS but not a member of this forum (I think...) and had a kidney replacement a couple years ago. I'll PM her and see if she would be willing to chat.

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 23, 2018, 04:21:41 pm »
June Gloom has taken a break, & we're having a heat wave. It's in the 80s farther inland, a little cooler where I am closer to the coast, but still balmy.

Lots of folks from here going to see the Tabernacle Choir :)  tonight in Berkeley, others going on Monday to Mountain View (between Palo Alto & San Jose). The last time they came to California was around 2005 or 2006 so there are people who, if they never go to Utah, haven't seen the Tabs in person. Instead of scarves or coats, we'll have to bring light hats (all the Bay Area venues are outdoors. How cool - or warm!)

Michaela

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 27, 2018, 02:21:39 pm »
Wow.  Just look around.  Itís still here.  Canít believe I made it back after all this time.  I wonder whatever happened to Hound.  And Meadowbee.  So many others. The swingís still here.  Looks like Iím alone.  Just as well.  I need a little time to just sit and remember, listen to the echoes of the past. Guess Iíll just sit myself down and  enjoy the geraniums.

What?  Whatís this?  Right here in the rail.  Canít believe it.  I wonder who carved it? Looks like itís been here for awhile.

Ryan ❤️
Always and Forever

Tears still come easy.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:37:42 pm by Michaela »

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, palmetto_gal, Iggy, Roper, Palmon

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:57 am »
Welcome back Michaela!!! (Hugs all around) I've often wondered when you'd show up. I miss Meadowbee & so many others who didn't move to the New Cabin, & others who are no longer with us.

We miss Ryan too. I never saw that carving in the rail until you pointed it out, because it is in an out-of-the-way spot where we don't always look & that bush is growing over it. And you know what - this Cabin wasn't here in 2015. We didn't move to New Nauvoo until 2016. So Ryan must have been here in spirit to add that little carving because he figured you'd find it!

All the critters are still here. Hound & Annabelle have slowed down a lot, but they still come running when they hear the fridge or cabinet doors open. They're all asleep now, just the way they've always done, snuggled together in a big dog & cat pile. If people got along the way our animals do, we'd never have any wars & all the politicians would be angels & saints (wait ... that's impossible, isn't it, since they don't have any angel or saint DNA?)

Don't stay away so long anymore!

Michaela

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 04, 2018, 01:20:53 pm »
Guess Iíll wander inside.  Iím sure I saw Curelom - - - or was that just a dream?  Dozing in the middle of the day has become a habit.  Is that a piano by the window?   I actually know how to play it now!  Time has a way of changing things. I donít think I dreamed up the flag.  Nope.  Blowing in the breeze like that itís a beautiful sight.   Wonder if weíve got some music for the occasion?  The Star Spangled Banner!Ē  Perfect!  That ought to wake me up.

First things first.  I bet thereís some homemade root beer in the ice chest. Got to keep my priorities in order.

Punkin!  Come here you sweet thing!  Root beer?  I donít think so.  How about some good cold milk!

Ahhhh.  Thereís nothing like the sound of purring.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1276 Posts
Roper Roper
1081 Posts
dyany dyany
799 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
662 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts

Re: Forming a new Stake - eta I got an answer this morning at Church by Taalcon
[August 13, 2018, 09:52:53 am]

Re: Arbilad by Roper
[August 12, 2018, 11:20:26 pm]

Re: Forming a new Stake - eta I got an answer this morning at Church by palmetto_gal
[August 12, 2018, 03:26:20 pm]

Re: Arbilad by mirkwood
[August 12, 2018, 10:53:57 am]

Re: Arbilad by Iggy
[August 12, 2018, 10:53:08 am]

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 106
  • stats Total Posts: 9962
  • stats Total Topics: 663
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 26
  • stats Most Online: 65