Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 43357 times)

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #795 on: December 24, 2017, 04:17:20 pm »
The Christmas Eve party sounds wonderful but I need to recuperate from the Northern Light chase which started at 1800 and rnded at 0300.  Then church and cable car and cokd wind... I am snggled under a duvet with tea. But I am leaving ribbe for dveryone to enjoy. Its slow riasted pork belly and a Norse Christmas staple.  Enjoy enjoy

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 29, 2017, 12:26:50 am »
Iím still feeling cruddy. It seems about a quarter of the people I know have colds or flu at the moment. We were able to have the Christmas Eve open house here & had a nice turnout Ė thanks to all who came to socialize in the afternoon or enjoy a light dinner in the evening, & I apologize that I was a little grumpy. At least my cyber-germs won't hurt you.  :D  The ribbe that Jana brought was delicious Ė thanks, Jana! And thanks to others who chipped in gourmet offerings, & a couple who brought favorite Christmas music or movies.

As all Incabitants know, Punkin is very interested in bats, & she still does the bat census once or twice a week. She was thrilled to know that these maintenance workers in California called Animal Care & Control rather than a pest control company when they unexpectedly uncovered a colony of bats. Animal Care was very good to the little critters :) & brought them to release in the woods up the hill from the Cabin last night.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Mexican-free-tailed-bats-rescue-Menlo-Park-83-12459488.php

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 30, 2017, 12:11:27 am »
I found out about this memorial for animal victims of the NorCal wildfires too late to take the critters, but they saw the pictures & seemed to understand what it was about. Animals are important in peopleís lives & folks wanted to remember those that had been close to them, whether as farm or ranch livestock, sources of food, companions, almost-family members, or wildlife that came & went in their lives but enriched the world for them.

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Animal-victims-of-Wine-Country-fires-honored-at-12460563.php?t=b05f31fd0d#photo-14743812

Iím planning a low-key New Yearís Eve here at the Cabin. Since itís Sunday night, we wonít have a lot of entertainment, just social time, playing with the critters, moon-gazing (full moon is New Yearís Day), listening to the owls & coyotes, & the traditional midnight supper. Iíll make ham hocks & black-eyed peas & a sweet potato pie. If anyone feels up to it, maybe others can bring corn bread, salad, & perhaps another dessert.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:39:21 am by Curelom »

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 01, 2018, 05:34:49 am »
Happy 2018

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 01, 2018, 03:35:06 pm »
HaPpY NeW yEaR!!!!  Yeah, it is 2018, a fresh start.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 18, 2018, 01:28:27 am »
Is anyone in the southern U.S. where that weird winter has struck? I hope y'all are safe & warm. We have cats & dogs here who will be glad to keep you warm. :) I took a couple of the critters to the beach at Pacifica today to see the big waves that we get on the West Coast in winter.

My cold is better, but I'm still going to enjoy a mug of hot spiced apple cider. There's a pot of it on the stove - plenty for all.

Snooze time.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 29, 2018, 12:05:38 am »
It's been quiet at the Cabin, but I've been in & out (mostly in while I was recovering from the bug), keeping up the place & taking care of the pets. There's usually food & drink here, so drop by anytime.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 29, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »
Anyone need a new home? California has some nice cabins & porches looking for good owners.

Wanna live in San Francisco? If youíre on a budget:

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Candyland-Loft-San-Francisco-Alexandra-Watkins-12519413.php

If money is no object:

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/1701-Franklin-St-San-Francisco-Victorian-for-sale-12510873.php

Does suburbia suit you better, & in a prominent personís former home?

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/sully-sullenberger-bay-area/

Prefer rural life, just outside Yosemite?

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Arthur-Dyson-house-29800-Yosemite-Springs-Yosemite-12528491.php

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 03, 2018, 10:31:38 am »
That San Francisco loft is cute!  Not really my style, but really cute.  I can see Jim Henson and his muppets hanging out there.  I adore the Victorian! That house is so gorgeous, I wonder if the furnishings come with it. Sully's house is nice but I think the cabin would be more my style , even without furnishings.  I would love to be snowed in  as long I had that cabin.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 03, 2018, 10:27:43 pm »
Oh, yeah Ė the loft is cute, but I canít see living in it either. Not quite my personality. But, in case you donít know the Bay Area RE market, it is a bargain. A Victorian would be impressive Ė but it would feel like living in a museum & Iíd be worried about touching anything or leaving a fingerprint or sitting on one of those formal couches & leaving a wrinkle in it!  ::)  Itís just too perfect, & if you left your mail or a candy bar on one of those fancy tables, it would stick out like a black eye. I donít think the critters would be happy, because they couldnít have the run of the house. Sullyís house is nice, but Danville is not my kind of suburb Ė Iím more partial to the towns along the Peninsula south of San Francisco (Pacifica, San Bruno, Millbrae, Half Moon Bay, etc.). Those are more like real towns that happen to be suburbs, not planned communities intended to be suburbs, if that makes sense.

Iím with you about the cabin. It probably couldnít be a primary home for working stiffs, because the nearest major city is Fresno & itís 50 miles away. But for a weekend getaway or second home, or a home for a well-off professional person who can work remotely or doesnít need to commute to town every day, or a retirement residence, who wouldnít pick it?  :)  At a price a third lower than that little San Francisco loft, who could resist? I need to calm the pets down, because theyíve started to think weíre moving there.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 07, 2018, 03:32:16 am »
I am tired of bad news. I am tired of sadness. I am tired of tiredness.

I sleep but don't feel rested. I speak to my brother regularly, and get sad all over again. The obituary is making the rounds on FB and since the family is interconnected, I see it over and over.  Its a great ode to the deceased.

Unfortunately, my impression of his as an adult is far from the gloss in the obit. I am struggling with that.  I am not going to fly out this weekend, because of a lot of things, but a huge crowd of loud music and people drinking is just not my bag, especially when they are mostly strangers.

I told Brother I am willing to come out for Easter, but he doesnt have to think about it til he gets through the weekend. I am not wild to go since the less time I spend with his wife the better, but for my brother I would go.

My Chinese tutor and her hubby are running into education, finance, and government snags that has her in tears.  Her hubs is our student.  The biggest fly in this ointment is his English is bad.  But without publications in high rated places he wont get far in China. Shes just back from taking exams that did not go well, so no one will offer her a job until she gets certs.  and she is 30 so people are wary she will have her one child.....ugh.
This puts her is a very bad place. and their families are poor.

My buddy has cancer in her bones. Shes been a real soldier the last three cancers, but this time she cried.

i hope I can get out of this mood before we fly to see Sweetpea in London.  She seems to be tolerating her new meds well. That is a relief. Lets hope her tests show something fixable so shes healthier and happier in the future.

Thanks for letting me dump.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, curlybat, Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 07, 2018, 10:25:50 pm »
Hugs <3 for you Jana. I'm really sorry you & so many people close to you are having these challenges.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 08, 2018, 12:32:47 am »
Hugs and kisses, Jana. I'm so sorry for all the struggles you and your people are going through.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 08, 2018, 10:44:37 am »
It does seem when it rains it pours, Jana!  Prayers and thoughts are with you!  I could use a nice cabin stay right now!
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 12, 2018, 02:33:40 am »
Prayers continuing, Jana, & also for other Nauvoo neighbors needing special blessings. I'm not always sure who all is in need at the moment, but if we pray for "Nauvoo friends," the Lord knows who we mean.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

* Top Posters

Curelom
1217 Posts
Roper Roper
1015 Posts
dyany dyany
785 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
645 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts