Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 29641 times)

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #750 on: October 11, 2017, 06:54:59 pm »
Kaz, my wife doesn't really have a sharing-for-bonding and a sharing-for-no-secrets delineation.  To her, it's all part and parcel of emotional intimacy.  After all these years of marriage, I still don't fully understand it, because I'm a "need-to-know" kinda guy.  I'm not inclined to ask her much about her relationships and conversations with others, because I don't need to know.  In fact, I often don't care to know.  My wife, on the other hand, wants to know about my relationships and conversations with others because to her, it's an indicator of the health of our emotional intimacy.  So I tell her.  Lots.  Stuff that to me doesn't qualify as "need to know." If I don't tell her, she'll ask. I'm still learning to live together that way.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 11, 2017, 08:57:58 pm »
I generally share the jist of all family phone calls with my spouse (because he is as interested in their lives as I am).   What your spouse is exhibiting is paranoia, which warrants your efforts to avoid stoking, while also encouraging more healthy thinking.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 12, 2017, 12:27:37 am »
If it affects him in any way - including if it affects ME in a way that could affect how I interact with him or my ability to fulfill my responsibilities - I tell him.  The level of detail in what I share with him is determined by how much impact it has on us.  I don't know if that's sharing-for-bonding or sharing-to-avoid-secrets.
This is pretty much how we do it, too. I don't know the details of every single conversation the hubs has, and I don't care. Him, likewise. But if it impacts him, I share. Him, likewise.

It's not that the rest are secret. If either of us asks, the other tells as much as the asking person wants to know. It's that it's irrelevant and unimportant to the other person. We tell no lies and we don't evade. We just don't volunteer absolutely everything.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 12, 2017, 12:28:44 am »
Side note: we're heading to Spain in a week.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, DerrellF

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 13, 2017, 01:09:30 am »
Goody, that's good news about Mini. I hope she continues to progress.

Iíve been trying to chill out in the Cabin, but thereís no escaping the news from north of here, where 31 people are now confirmed dead in the wildfires. The fires have consumed about 300 square miles & are nowhere near being controlled, so itís a certainty that more people have died or may yet be killed. Whole towns are evacuated or facing mandatory evacuation Ė visitor meccas youíd recognize, like Calistoga, Sonoma, Napa, & St. Helena. Nearly 3,000 homes have been lost just in Santa Rosa. Two of my best friends live not too far outside the fire area, but they are getting terrible air quality.

Where I live, the reminder is with us continually in the air, with smoke, haze, & odors that vary depending on the wind. Up to 60-70 miles from the fires, school districts are closed because of health concerns, sports events cancelled, & local officials telling people to limit outdoor exercise. One town closed its parks due to both fire danger & air quality. A neighbor went to downtown San Francisco today & said people were wearing filter masks outside.

Iím sorry I donít feel very sociable at the moment, & neither do the critters. Weíre just going to take it easy, sleep & eat. Iíve donated to the Red Cross & LDS Humanitarian Fund, & once the fires are under control & things are calmer, many people in my area will be looking for more direct ways we can help in the impacted areas.

zzzzzz

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 13, 2017, 05:00:22 am »
Goody can I ask? Mercy Center? They treated my son who is now a doctor two decades ago and literally gave my my First Boy back. He hated it but for the husband father and contributor to the common good he is now I am forever grateful.

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 13, 2017, 05:17:53 pm »
I haven't heard of Mercy Center specifically, but there is a Mercy Medical Group in the Chicago area, so I assume it's part of that.  We went to another similarly large medical group out here in the northwest 'burbs.

Mini is doing much better today. I have to assume that Wednesday's explosion was related to having just come home.  Right now we're waiting for the inpatient center to get their ducks in a row and provide the necessary paperwork to the school district so she can get back into her normal routines.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2017, 02:08:41 am »
I'm glad to hear Mini is doing better. She'll be in my prayers, & I hope she can get back to a comfortable routine soon.

Prayers & hugs to all Nauvoodles who are having challenges.

For the moment, I'm sitting outside on the deck enjoying a respite of fresh air. We've had long periods of horrible air quality over the last few days since the fires started last Sunday night, with the wind speed & direction deciding when it's OK to breathe, so we have to take the fresh air when it happens. Here are two of the many critter tales from the disaster zone.

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/lost-dog-found-fire-evacuation-santa-rosa-12278168.php?ipid=articlerecirc

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Son-rescues-cat-amid-Wine-Country-fires-Sonoma-12278870.php

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 16, 2017, 05:29:15 pm »
More critter tales from the fire zone. Punkin made me post them. ;) In trying times, sometimes we have to keep it light & look at the brighter side, which is the side critters generally come down on. :)

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Somerville-A-dog-s-bravery-and-devotion-12279954.php

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Wine-Country-fires-pony-evacuated-backseat-Honda-12280095.php

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Sonoma-Sheriff-cat-under-car-fires-12276377.php
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:39:06 pm by Curelom »

* Top Posters

Curelom
1037 Posts
Roper Roper
858 Posts
dyany dyany
720 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
588 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts