Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 35608 times)

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #675 on: August 08, 2017, 09:00:55 pm »
Posole <drool> As if I wasn't already missing the food in Texas. Can I come visit you?

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 08, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
We are back home and unpacked.  Chiña is a wonderful place to visit but I am always glad to be back in my own bed.  There is Lanzhou dried fruit and flower infusion here for everyone to try. its yummy. Do add some rock crystal  sugar. 

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 09, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
We are back home and unpacked.

We also both came down with the plague. We've been up since 4am, me from coughing so much my throat is hamburger and him because of all the green goo he's expelling. Oh, the fun, the joy!

Herbal tea is made. And I'll be making buckets more all day. This batch is orange and hibiscus and something else. We mostly do fruity herbal teas when we're sick. We're weird that way. :)
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 10, 2017, 12:54:24 am »
Laurie...ugh. 

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:35 pm »
Yeah.

I wake up every hour or two to have a coughing fit that takes a half hour to calm down after consuming half a dozen cough drops or a cup or two of herbal tea. I've had this problem with coughs for forever - I get a cold or something, and I have a cough that lasts for six months. It's terrible.

Fahim at least is getting better.

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 17, 2017, 09:05:35 am »
Good to hear of those who have made it back home, wherever "home" is for each of us.  I've moved so much I don't know where I'd call "home" anymore.  Sorry to hear about your illness, LM.  Sounds horrible.

I'd like to pick the brains of our seasoned travelers.  My scattered family is descending upon Poznan, Poland, on Sept 8 for the wedding of my son, Nick, and his fiance, Marta.  They make a sweet couple.  Marta is a native Pole, is a convert (the only LDS in her family), an RM (Chicago), and will soon have her MBA.  Because of the Polish laws and the relative infancy yet of our church presence in Poland, they must first have a civil marriage in Poland (Friday, 9/8) and then their sealing in the Freiberg Germany Temple the next day. 

Nick served his mission in Poland, and has a job with an international software firm that has taken him back to Warsaw, Poland, for two years, and then the past year in Helsinki, Finland. 

So ... any travel advice?  We're most worried about customs and airport security.  Both me and the missus have a boatload of meds and I have a CPAP.  How much trouble will that cause us at the European airports?  How tight is the security in Poland and Germany?  Our itinerary heading out will be Tucson>Phoenix>LA>Iceland>Dublin>Warsaw.  Coming back it will be Berlin>Iceland>LA>Phoenix>Tucson.

Any advice you can give us is much appreciated!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 17, 2017, 10:43:32 am »
I go to Poland all the time and carry a boatload of meds and a CPAP.  No one has ever been the least bit bothered. In fact the only real travel problems we have are in the USA with TSA where apparently senior citizens with silver hair are a huge threat to the peace and safety of fellow citizens.  Your electronics, and chargers, will have to be looked at. Things with batteries might get an extra look.  I carry knitting needles all over the world and not one soul has said boo.

I am so sorry you have multiple hops. That will be the worst stress, hoping you have enough time to get aboard the next flight.  You will have to fetch your bags ( because its EU) and go through customs and immigration check In Iceland. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME.  Rykjavik (SP) is a really modern airport. It is very nice. It used to be a hut in the middle of no where.

I think on the way back you will have to pick up your bags at LA and do a recheck.  LA is one of our most hated airports and thats even with priority ( frequent flyer) perks.  Just be warned that the TSA has given people power over you and they do not hesitate to act like you are under suspicion.

Make sure you carry your drugs passport ( from the pharmacy) and you papers for your CPAP.  No one has ever asked for them but if you run into a problem where you need meds or a machine on loan, they need to see your prescription and CPAP settings.  Just in case.

AND GET TRAVEL INSURANCE TODAY.  Really.  It's just an absolute here.  Check who  covers what. 

But really, unless you have liquids in your carry on, or way too many wires in your backpack. or forget to put your pocketknife in your cargo case, or your CPAP folding standard looks odd, or you tuck a metal shoe horn in your carry on, you should sail right through. The US makes everyone under 70 take off their shoes and there is no where to sit....In EU if you are wearing boots or really thick soles then they ask for you to de shoe.  Oh and all pat downs are public now. If you have a problem with strangers touching you.....grit your teeth.

Befoer Whizzair started a bus with wings to Wroclaw we used to take the night train. it stopped in Poznan. Thats all I know about Poznan! The train station. 

Poland has really morphed in 25 years. It has been wonderful to watch the building, and colors and infrastucture change.  Polish folk are lovely and so is the food.  Have a good time...September can get chilly by the way.  make sure you have layers!!

And its not just POland, I don't think you can marry in any temple in Europe. Marriage is a civil law matter.  Then you go get blessed in the church or whatever.  Has nothing to do with church infancy.  Good thing you can go to the Friberg, because Frankfort is still undergoing renovations I think...Its been closed a while.

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 17, 2017, 10:53:26 pm »
I haven't travelled to Poland or Germany or Iceland, but in general, take meds in your carryon in their original bottle along with a written prescription from the doctor for the meds and the CPAP. I've never had a problem, either, and I've never been asked to present paperwork on my meds, but that's what's advised in a worst case scenario.

I don't know how tight security is there. When we went to France last year, the line to get our passport stamp was... non existent. Not a single person in front of us. And it took us about 5 seconds each to get our passports stamped and done. And there was no customs to pass through, which I found extremely odd. 

Also, yeah, we found the TSA to be quite invasive compared to everywhere else, which is interesting given that we're groped nearly everywhere, but everywhere else seems to be able to manage doing the groping thing with no muss, no fuss, and no making the passengers feel uncomfortable, completely unlike the TSA. At the Sri Lankan airport, we pass through security to get into the airport, to get to the check in counters, and to get to the individual gate. At each, they xray all the luggage/purses and they grope everyone, so fairly security conscious, but they manage to be very respectful. The TSA was rude to the point of obnoxiousness and impatient. Just be prepared for that.

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 18, 2017, 01:30:05 am »
It's interesting to read about people's international travels & experiences with airport security. I don't do a lot of air travel when it is at all avoidable, so I'm not as tuned in to these fine points & niceties.

I'm going to find a more inland part of the Cabin to go to on Monday for the solar eclipse. In my section, near the coast, we have cloudy weather predicted that will partly obscure the sun. I won't be able to make it to Oregon, to that hamlet where half of California is supposed to be headed. I doubt that the special viewing glasses are available anywhere now, but most of us over 30 or more learned when we were kids to make pinhole viewers; we still can't look directly at the eclipse, but we can see its shape in the projected dot of light.

I read a little on how eclipses affect animals, & since there doesn't seem to be a consensus about the impact on pets, I decided to take along only Punkin. She isn't spooked that easily, & in new surroundings she'll stay close by & mind me, & unlike most cats, she understands that if I put a harness & leash on her, it's for her protection. If you are here at the Cabin on Monday, it might be a good idea to keep the other critters inside at least as the eclipse starts, & see how they react before letting them wander around.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/how-does-solar-eclipse-affect-animals

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 18, 2017, 01:53:20 am »
We went to Newport, OR today. Three Dr. appointments. We had to go to Walgreens to get his pain pill Rx filled. They had three floor displays with those glasses. As I was waiting to pick up the pills, the lady behind me said that Walmart and Fred Meyer were putting out 4 floor displays each. So, here on the Central Oregon Coast we have more than enough.

As long as you don't look directly at the sun, you are not going to hurt your eyes. Hubby doesn't want to go outside. It is hard for him because he has to use his walker. I remember making a viewer in grade school and all of us kids standing by the windows looking into our box viewer to see the eclipse. For me then it was beyond boring. I would have much rather be sitting in the pillows on the floor reading. Yeah, our teacher had 20 big pillows for us to sit/lay in and that is where I preferred to read.

Also there was an attic room where I would go in the grade school. Again there were a couple of window seats filled with cushions and knit wraps. The recess teacher had her desk there. That is also where the mimeograph printer was, along with all the different colored papers, ribbons, etc. To punish me for being a brat in class, I was sent to this room. The teacher would make us a cup of tea, and I could read whatever book I had brought to school to read. I spent about an hour every day there. I was a brat. When I was asked a question I would say No. Didn't matter what the question was I always answered No. So off to the attic room with the comfy cushions, the cup of tea and my book.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:37 am »
Punkin talked me into letting this critter stay with us for a few days. Customs & Border Patrol agents confiscated this cat that someone was smuggling across the border near San Diego. He said he had bought it off a guy on the street in Tijuana for $300, & his passenger told the officers the animal was “just a cat.” It sure looks like a cat, but not JUST Fluffy or Snowball. The kitty will be cared for at one of the wildlife parks in San Diego, but Punkin was convinced that he needed the company of friendly domestic pets & nice people, & some good food. So he will be here through the weekend. Be sure not to let him escape when you open the door, & tether him if you leave him on the Porch, because he’s new & nervous & might bolt. He can eat the same stuff our cats do – but more of it.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Smuggled-Bengal-tiger-cub-confiscated-at-border-11955943.php#photo-13891364

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 25, 2017, 02:42:54 pm »
Just a cat, indeed!   ::)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 26, 2017, 06:25:35 am »
Not doing well at all today. 😕

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:56 pm »
Awww, I'm sorry to hear that, Laurie. If some chicken-quinoa soup will help, there's a pot on the stove. It also has carrots, onions, & celery, but no gluten. There's also a watermelon in the fridge, & fresh grapefruits & oranges.

Ivie is on her way over to give you some TLC.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 28, 2017, 05:26:51 am »
Ivie was a most welcome visitor. I've been feeling like I've been run over by a semi. You know how I've been sick with that throat thing? And I've had a bad cough from it? My IBS decided to act up in a very very bad way. Put the two together and... It's worse than usual. Ugh.

I'm not done being sick yet, but I really wish I was. All the furballs are welcome to visit, provided they don't put any weight on me.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1090 Posts
Roper Roper
890 Posts
dyany dyany
742 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
606 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts