Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 92488 times)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #1050 on: October 15, 2019, 05:40:07 am »
Aw, Curelom, allergies are no fun.

We're still in short sleeve weather in the south of France, but we had a windy day, so it's going to cool down even more soon. There were protests in Barcelona yesterday over separatist leaders being jailed. Oy. But all is calm here.

I made a huge batch of pasta salad. It's in the fridge, so help yourselves. There are also chocolate doughnuts there, too - unglazed, but there's icing in another container so whoever wants it can add it to theirs.

I hope all is well with everyone.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: October 19, 2019, 09:17:09 pm »
I think summer is over, & fall is moving right along. It's been a bit chilly in my part of the Cabin for a few days, although we are told that wildfire weather could return this coming week. The critters are sticking close to home, so I think they feel a cold spell settling in for at least a couple of days. 

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/10/18/20920925/winter-weather-utah-snow-sunday-wx-utwx-ksl-weather

I have clam chowder & split pea soup on the back burners in case anyone needs a warm-up. The pea soup is vegetarian & includes onions & carrots (liquid hickory smoke for flavor), but there's a bowl of ham on the side if anyone wants to add some. The critters have been given samples of both soups, so don't give them any more until all the Incabitants who want some have their chance.  :P

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: October 20, 2019, 01:37:59 am »
Soup is a great idea. We've been having more soups lately, but it's also because I had a cold, and soup seems to go well when that happens.

We're not quite to chilly weather, but we do have loud drunks that don't quiet down until nearly 6am along with the bass from loud music. It's weird to me - over the summer, we had almost none of that noise. But we've had it several weekends in a row now, and when we first arrived in Perpignan, we had it up until, oh, May or June. So why is it quiet during the summer but loud drunks in the fall/winter/spring?

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 20, 2019, 04:29:19 pm »
Soup is a great idea. We've been having more soups lately, but it's also because I had a cold, and soup seems to go well when that happens.

We're not quite to chilly weather, but we do have loud drunks that don't quiet down until nearly 6am along with the bass from loud music. It's weird to me - over the summer, we had almost none of that noise. But we've had it several weekends in a row now, and when we first arrived in Perpignan, we had it up until, oh, May or June. So why is it quiet during the summer but loud drunks in the fall/winter/spring?
Could it be because they are indoors due to the inclement/chilly weather?
Fall has finally arrived here. Thank heavens our siding job got finished two days before the Big Rains & Winds. We mostly get the storm rains/winds hitting the south side. BUT when the winds shift, it is a Nor'Easter and it is always a Rip Snortin Tree Downing Cover the Roads With Moss From the Trees storm.

The deciduous trees still have mostly green leaves. I was at the Post Office last week picking up a parcel and a woman waiting in front of me turned around and said "We really had a short fall since winter is here." I said: How long have you live here? She said: Three months. I said: Where did you move here from? She said:
Tucson AZ. I said: This is still Fall. The rain and winds have just begun and the deciduous trees haven't lost their leaves yet. Heck they haven't even changed colors. During Fall weather, you need to dress in layers - so you can remove the rain proofed outer wear when the winds die down and add back on when the rains hit - all within a couple hours of each other. Oh, and you NEVER use an umbrella, the winds will just rip it inside out.

My city and the two nearest me have had such an influx of AZ, Calif and even Montana new residents. Some will move away because they won't be able to afford the sky rocketing home prices or they can't find a rental and they tire of living in Motel Kitchenettes or their RV's.

We are eating from our food storage. Since the siding repair cost us over $2,000.00 more than what Hubby withdrew from EdJones [told him we needed $3,000.00 more than what he withdrew], so after paying the bills, and only the bare minimum on the two credit cards, that didn't leave us enough for the one month groceries. So ~ time to rely on the In Home Grocery Pantry and the Long Term Food Storage. I think there is still a ham joint bone in the freezer along with what I call Ham Dust. Small chunks of the meat to add to soups. I am hankering for beans & ham.

Then there are more than enough cans of diced tomatoes along with all of the dehydrated/freeze dried vegetables and frozen grilled diced chicken to make Husband's favorite hearty soup. The recipe I have makes enough to feed a small army. I put it all up in Rubbermaid containers - the two cup size, which is a single serving for the Hubs. Then put it in the freezer. I don't eat it because of the too spicy seasonings. The original recipe called for fresh everything. THAT was just way too expensive AND labor intensive. Canned, frozen, freeze dried and dehydrated worked out better. Did have to add more chicken & vegetable broth, but THAT was re-hydrated from cubes too, and best of all, Husband couldn't tell the difference from the original and my later version. Win-Win!

Today is not a good day for me to be in the kitchen. Didn't go to Church because of joint pains and lack of sleep. Three Tylenol's and three more hours of sleep later I hurt about 60% less, am not nearly as sleepy. BUT still not going to push myself to do more than nuke a can of soup or a frozen dinner. Maybe tomorrow. No Dr. appointments tomorrow.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: October 21, 2019, 11:53:32 pm »
The critters & I are going outside later tonight to see if we can catch any of the Orionid meteor shower. I think it'll have to be really late, more like early morning after the moon has set. It's a clear, fairly warm night in the California section of the Porch and it isn't foggy, so we might luck out.

We'll be camped out behind the Cabin where there is no light interference, which is where we have a Tupperware container with snacks & a big thermos of hot cider stashed. We'll be walking around as well to keep from getting stiff. So anyone who wants to join us, look around behind the Cabin & up the hill until you find us, or wait at the snack station for us to come back. Don't use any white lights - if you need light, use red, or fasten red plastic or cellophane over your white light, to save everyone's night vision.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:54 pm »
Iggy, are you feeling better this morning? I hope a day or two of rest did you some good. If you want to stay in & relax awhile longer, the critters will be around to keep you company, & there is still plenty of the clam chowder & split pea soup in the kitchen.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 22, 2019, 11:03:02 pm »
Iggy, are you feeling better this morning? I hope a day or two of rest did you some good. If you want to stay in & relax awhile longer, the critters will be around to keep you company, & there is still plenty of the clam chowder & split pea soup in the kitchen.

After being awake for 48 hours, I finally got 10 hours of straight through sleep. Hopefully tonight I will be sleepy around 11:30 PM so I can get at least 7 hrs sleep. Have to pick up our groceries tomorrow morning. I haven't shopped for nearly 1.5 months.

Oh Man! Both of those hearty soups are my favorites! The added bonus is all the food in the cabin/porch don't harm you. So I can have lots of real butter floating in the chowder. And copious amounts of cheese in the grilled cheese sandwiches to go with the split pea soup. MMmmmmmm. And many, many furry babies to cuddle & snuggle with. Who needs quilts and blankets with the critters all piled on top of you???

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: October 23, 2019, 05:22:33 am »
Too busy to make it to the Cabin. However, this morning as I got into my car at 6am (BST) I looked up at a clear sky to see the Orion constellation. It is comforting to know that despite the huge distances between many of us, we can all look and see things that connect us physically.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, Iggy

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 19, 2019, 01:58:41 am »
* Yaaaawwwwn. *

Punkin, is that you? I don't know of any human or any other critter that yawns quite the way you do. You're a lively & active cat, but when it's time for you to get your rest, you take it very seriously.  ;D

It's a foggy night but not very cold, so I'm going to sit outside on the deck & sip some spiced cider & listen to the owls hoot. For once Punkin doesn't want to join me, but Ivie is awake & looking for some adventure, & Dreyfuss has joined us because Dreyfuss is always looking out for Ivie. For the newer Incabitants who aren't used to all of our animals, Ivie is a little tuxedo cat & Dreyfuss is a white Maremma sheepdog who takes his responsibility seriously to protect all the other critters.

What shall we do for this year's Thanksgiving at the Cabin? We can do a traditional dinner or I can order a Cajun deep-fried turkey & we'll have a potluck with non-traditional side dishes that folks can bring. Maybe black-eyed peas, corn, collard greens, okra, grits, or hush puppies. Later that night, or the next morning, we can go up the mountain & look for Christmas trees for the Cabin. We usually get two, a big one for the main window & a smaller one for the pets that we put in a side window, with decorations & gifts for them.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 19, 2019, 03:03:19 am »
I vote for a Cajun deep-fried turkey. That sounds fantastic. I've never had black-eyed peas, grits, or hush puppies, so it'll be a new experience for me.

I can bring pumpkin pie and apple pie if y'all like.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1679 Posts
Roper Roper
1569 Posts
dyany dyany
980 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
841 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
680 Posts