Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 66730 times)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #975 on: January 14, 2019, 01:14:03 am »
Jana, I am so glad you slept well. So glad. Good sleep is highly underrated. I've thought of CBD oil, but haven't really looked into it in earnest. I'd have to verify the legality of it in whatever country we're in first, of course... I'm glad it worked well for you.

We're doing much better today, thankfully. We were already doing better yesterday than we were the day of travel, but today is even better. We have to run some errands today, including getting some more groceries. We picked up a few things on Saturday evening, but that was mostly a quick run to get us enough to tide us over until today.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 14, 2019, 02:37:15 am »
After the fact I read up on this product.  It's from hemp not from marijuana. thus it has far far less THC.  The two plants are related but not the same. so this particular product is legal. This product will not produce a high, and is e eternal not internal.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:15 am »
After the fact I read up on this product.  It's from hemp not from marijuana. thus it has far far less THC.  The two plants are related but not the same. so this particular product is legal. This product will not produce a high, and is e eternal not internal.
I understand those differences, yes. But in some places, the actual levels of THC don't matter because the government/police don't understand them and you can still be convicted and sent to jail even with zero THC in it.  It's crazy, but it happens.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 18, 2019, 01:30:34 am »
Have I been asleep very long? ** Yawn  **

Jana & Laurie, I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been doing well & hope it's getting better. Winter & turning 39 or 39.75 or whatever is tough on people. ::) I'll keep you & all the other Nauvoodle neighbors in my prayers.

One of my favorite uncles passed a few weeks ago. He was actually my "uncle-in-law," who was married to my mom's favorite sister who passed some years ago. He lived a long airline trip away, so we didn't see each other that often, but we kept in touch. My cousins told me afterward because they had a private funeral & felt it wasn't necessary for faraway relatives to travel. They had been sorting his stuff and sent me a bunch of old family pictures of the families decades ago when we were kids, that have really brought back memories. I'm delighted to have them. :)  I'll have to ask these cousins about doing temple work eventually, because the family isn't Christian.

I've had a lot of other things going on that are keeping me busy, but I get back to the Cabin to rest up before & after. It's relaxing to go in the back bedroom with the view of the woods, & curl up with Punkin in one of the rustic quilt or robes she gave us. I highly recommend the back rooms of the Cabin for relaxing, meditation, & scripture reading.

Punkin is almost 15, well up there for a cat, but all of our animals are either cyber or spirit critters, so they never really "get old." Punkin has always been "young" & never gets tired of snuggling. :)  I know each Nauvoodle has their own favorites among the critters, but they all love attention & are hypo-allergic so you can enjoy them all the time with no ill effects.

I think I will go to the temple next week, Reading discussions here about the endowment keeps reminding me that it's been a few months, because the Oakland Temple has been closed for renovation since last February & so we are attending in Sacramento for now, a couple of hours away. People around the world still have to plan a major trip to go to a temple & here I am letting a couple of hours travel cut down my attendance, & I know I need to go. So yes, next week I will because it closes for maintenance in February.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 18, 2019, 04:03:28 am »
I'm doing a lot better than I was. I'm back to mostly normal aches and pains.

Unfortunately, the place where we're staying, has problems. The tap in the kitchen leaks and needs fixing or replacing. The bathroom shower is handheld only and really needs a thingy to hang it from the wall. Those are two issues the owner was apparently aware of before we arrived but they neglected to fix them. They'll be here tomorrow to fix.

Then today, I tried using the oven. Turned it on. Five minutes later, the breaker goes for the whole apartment. We only have the modem on and the heat, nothing else, and still the oven blows the breaker. Great. Wanna bet the owners were aware of this, too, but couldn't be bothered to fix it?

I need a cat. Or five. I'm sitting on the easy chair and relaxing with tuna treats in both hands...

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 24, 2019, 02:38:34 am »
Punkin was relaxing outside the Cabin & made a new friend. Welcome to the new cat in the neighborhood. 8)

https://www.nsnews.com/community/bobcat-relaxes-in-west-vancouver-backyard-video-1.23608575

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 31, 2019, 01:58:57 am »
Baby, itís cold out there (ha ha).

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/A-Merciless-Cold-Lingers-in-the-Midwest-13575498.php

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/polar-vortex-grips-the-midwest-in-a-deep-and-dangerous-freeze/ar-BBSWAUp?ocid=spartanntp

The governor of Kentucky said America is turning wimpy & making kids soft by closing schools when it is colder outside than a well-diggerís burro. But that means the Postal Service must be a bunch of sissies too, because they stopped delivering the mail in Chicago. Businesses, universities, & Michigan & Wisconsin state offices closed. But hey, if the governor of Kentucky wants to be Mr. Macho & stroll around outside in this weather, weíll keep the Porch light on so he can find his way here when he decides that he isnít any tougher than a wussy little 5th grader.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-kentucky-governor-bevin-soft-cold-20190130-story.html

U.S. Midwest Incabitants (yes, Goody, weíre talking to you) Ė if you canít get warm enough where you are, come to the Cabin. It actually isnít too bad here in Nauvoo.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Nauvoo+IL+USIL0832:1:US

We have a weekís worth of firewood stacked on our deck, & thereís always a log banked in the fireplace to keep us warm-ish overnight & so we wonít freeze our tails off in the morning while we try to relight it. Banking was quite a skill to learn & sometimes I still have it go out, but what do I know Ė I grew up in California.  :D  There are big thermos bottles of hot cocoa & spiced cider in the kitchen, so help yourselves (donít use the Superman sippy cup, thatís reserved for the governor of Kentucky). Iíve brought out the cozy quilts, & the fleece bathrobes that Punkin gave us for Christmas. The critters are happy to hire out as footwarmers & they will work for minimum wage (some snuggles, TLC, & treats).

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 31, 2019, 03:17:43 am »
"donít use the Superman sippy cup, thatís reserved for the governor of Kentucky" LOL!!!!!!

I have more hot chocolate on offer if we run out, plus pizza and lamb stew.

It's not horribly cold where we are - we haven't even seen freezing temperatures yet, and hopefully won't. But the wind here is fierce, fierce enough that it hurts my ears if they aren't covered. So of course we bought a couple of those Russian ushankas (fake fur, of course!), and those are warm!!!!

I think I'll take advantage of one or two of the footwarmers. :) Over here, on one of the easy chairs with a fuzzy blanket...

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 06, 2019, 02:41:52 am »
The lamb stew was delicious, Laurie. :P  I like lamb & have it often. Not quite as often as chicken, but oftener than most people I know. The critters had some - I thought that was OK because there was plenty, & we don't run out of cyber food here.

California has been inundated with snow over the last few days! Even the Bay Area (including a tiny trace in San Francisco, imagine that!) has gotten light snow.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/tahoe-sierra-snow-conditions-pictures-ski-snowboar-13591038.php

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/Bay-Area-mountains-snow-inches-storm-winter-13592253.php

The critters are having a ball. They've all seen snow, but they never get tired of it (especially since they don't need to drive in it, like I do when I take the Porchmobile & haul them all to Tahoe or Yosemite :D).

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 06, 2019, 02:51:24 am »
LOL! Curelom, the critters have been spoiled. Yes, it's absolutely fine to give them some lamb. But you might want to know that I gave them some, too! LOL!

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 07, 2019, 04:41:01 pm »
Now you four-footers can see why we are so concerned about your winter outdoor adventures. We know you're healthy, hardy, smart critters, but we don't want this to happen to any of you!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/frozen-cat-found-unresponsive-and-buried-in-snow-makes-miraculous-recovery/ar-BBTirrG?ocid=spartanntp

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 11, 2019, 12:19:52 am »
A San Francisco fire station has a cat that they adopted when she wandered in off the street. Feral cats are notorious for not liking close ties with people, but she became their pet & has been with them for 4 years. The firefighters say she helps ease stress, & in case anyone doesn't know, their job is highly stressful. Based on what is being called an anonymous complaint, management now wants the cat to go away. :(

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-fire-station-department-Edna-cat-13604251.php

The links in the article have some great pics of the kitty & her pals.

Our critters are 100% behind @fire_cat_edna

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 11, 2019, 04:51:16 am »
If there's an issue with one of the firefighters or other relevant staff being severely allergic to cats, I can understand needing to remove her. But otherwise, that just makes no sense. Is it a member of the public who wants her gone? And if so, why should that person's opinion matter in any way?

I vote #ednastays.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 12, 2019, 12:54:47 am »
Well, bureaucracy triumphs, so the cat is gone.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Edna-cat-fire-station-49-San-Francisco-ednastays-13608683.php

I havenít seen any info on who made the ďanonymous complaint.Ē If it was someone in the public, I agree itís NOTDB. If itís someone in the station with a health concern, maybe it is an issue, although people with a fire department career are exposed to tons of worse allergens or toxins than cat dander.

Too bad one scrooge spoiled a good thing, for the rest of the crew & the cat. If it was someone working there who just doesnít like animals, if I were one of the others I might worry about the cat's safety if she were allowed to stay. OTOH, that person had better hope no one ever learns their identity, because the cat is popular & coworkers have ways of making your life miserable without actually breaking any laws, rules, regulations, or policies.

For anyone who hasnít been up to the Cabin in awhile, this is what itís looked like lately, after the big snow storms in California.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/tahoe-sierra-snow-total-pictures-truckee-blizzard-13607619.php

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 12, 2019, 02:29:28 am »
I'm so sad to hear Edna is gone. :(

I've been through snow storms like that. Too many, really, but that's part and parcel of life in most parts of Canada. I hope I never have to go through that again.

We're really enjoying the "winter" in Perpignan. It hasn't yet gone below freezing, and most days it's between, oh, 8 and 15C with a few days at 18C. That... absolutely reasonable. :)

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

* Top Posters

Curelom
1467 Posts
Roper Roper
1222 Posts
dyany dyany
846 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
744 Posts
Iggy Iggy