Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin & Porch  (Read 54232 times)

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin & Porch
« Reply #885 on: October 08, 2018, 11:28:01 am »
Andrew R: the porch and the cabin are remarkable places to be. I live in severe depression and even though I talk a lot here, and lately I haven't talked a lot here, I come here cuz it makes me feel better! No judgement, no one tries to fix anything, and nobody cares about my spelling ;D.

Redd

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 08, 2018, 05:20:23 pm »
Did I just get a page turn? I did! I did! I got a page turn!
I don't get these very often. I want a party at the cabin... any excuse for cake and ice cream and toppings and sprinkles!  ;D

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 08, 2018, 09:50:35 pm »
Andrew, were you around for the Cabin/Porch vs. Fortress wars in old Nauvoo?  Under Ray's leadership, we tried everything to conquer the Cabin/Porch, and when that wasn't possible, we antagonized them.  We even had Silent Ninja and zombies. We failed.  The Cabin/Porch outlasted us.  I don't really understand it either, but there's something there which has endured and overcome.  Gracie wrote eloquently about it in one of her essays.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:53:31 pm by Roper »

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 09, 2018, 03:48:55 am »
Hey, Redd, it just happens that I bought 4 kinds of ice cream today. I got pistachio, chocolate raspberry, strawberry cheesecake, & cinnamon bun. So we can have your page-turn party any time. Are you going to bring a cake, or should one of us make one in the morning? I also got fruit, so I can make an apricot cobbler.

Andrew, don't British people have cabins or porches?  ;D  There must be some little country retreat where you can get away & have friends come by & relax. And if you do, well, there has to be food. Most of the Incabitants like animals & we've brought our own, & adopted some (mainly rescue critters), & we also have spirit critters & some from folks who are no longer with us. Home is more like home when you have a few cats & dogs curled up on the porch.

I have a bit of allergy so it would be hard to have RL pets, but I have a whole herd of them here!

Speaking of which, I just read a book called The Dog Master, a novel about how the first domestic dog came to be. The people in the story are several rival neighboring tribes, & wolves, lions, bears, & ungulates like reindeer are part of their everyday lives. The story starts a bit slowly & takes awhile to develop, & it can be hard to keep track of the tribes & individual people within them at first, since their names don't come from familiar languages. Some parts of the story are a bit beyond PG-13, but not quite R. You won't like all the characters. I hated one in particular, & you will too. But you'll like the critters. Since lions appear in the story, maybe the sequel will be how the first cat was domesticated. :)

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 09, 2018, 04:25:26 am »
Andrew, were you around for the Cabin/Porch vs. Fortress wars in old Nauvoo?

I was, and it baffled me then too.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 09, 2018, 08:56:44 am »
That bit I get. It's the critters, eFood, etc. I don't really get. But I am not a social animal in RL either.
Got it.

Did you ever play D&D or any other RPG games? It's not much different than that, except this is sort of the kinder more gentle version.

In other news, I've had massive headaches the past few days. Of course I forgot that I have my TENS unit - Fahim had to remind me. Get that going and the pain reduces immediately. I've had it going for two or three hours, and while the pain was blindingly painful and felt like I was being stabbed in the head over and over and over again, it's now down to a dull roar and I can turn my head again. I still have a pinched nerve somewhere, but it's better than it was.

I am so incredibly grateful for science and technology and the wonderful things it can do to improve our lives.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:04 pm »
Did you ever play D&D or any other RPG games?

Nope, never really saw the point in those either.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 09, 2018, 12:34:30 pm »
In other news, I've had massive headaches the past few days. Of course I forgot that I have my TENS unit - Fahim had to remind me. Get that going and the pain reduces immediately. I've had it going for two or three hours, and while the pain was blindingly painful and felt like I was being stabbed in the head over and over and over again, it's now down to a dull roar and I can turn my head again. I still have a pinched nerve somewhere, but it's better than it was.

I am so incredibly grateful for science and technology and the wonderful things it can do to improve our lives.

Oh, Laurie - from puberty till I was 32 I suffered from debilitating migraines. Had it been stabbing pains I think I would have been able to endure them better - but mine started out with my vision slowly blacking out, then incredible pressure behind my eyes, sinuses and nose. THEN the pain hit - waves of crushing, explosive, hammering pain. ALL of my senses were in High Alert - even with an eye mask of black velvet completely covering my eyes, turning on a light KILLED me. I know your pain, and there isn't much at all others can do for you.

It took decades for me to eliminate the triggers - and now the migraines have been replaced with arthritis, fibromyalgia, neuropathy and the latest is sciatic pain. Even the chiropractor is baffled that the 5 treatments (W-F-M-W-F and then just this last Monday) so far has not helped AT ALL.

You and Fahim are in my prayers.

AndrewR - it is only here that I can joyfully bake and consume decadently sweet treats, without even carrying on a conversation with humans or critters.

As for D&D, the very first forum I was a member of, the RPG was THE biggest thing with a majority of the members. Like you I just couldn't get into it.

Redd

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 10, 2018, 12:26:40 am »
I lost my glasses a couple of months ago and my replacements just got delivered today. So nice not being blind anymore.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 10, 2018, 04:32:22 am »
Why does it take so long to get replacements?

I work for a company that makes prescription safety glasses, and those for people spending their days in front of a computer. We also do street wear prescription glasses - but it isn't the main part. I wear glasses for reading, and computing, etc. I got to work one day without my glasses. I told the team to make me some - 20 minutes later they were on my nose. Now I didn't have to pay, and that may be a factor, but they don't take long to make.

I have only had glasses for eighteen months. I got two pairs when I first had them - one for work, one by my bed (for late night reading). I later got verifocals so that I could keep them on in meetings and when teaching or speaking and church. And I got a sun glasses pair for wearing and reading on the beach. Then I got the ones because I forgot mine. So I have five pairs, hopefully that's enough.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 10, 2018, 08:01:42 am »
Why does it take so long to get replacements?

I work for a company that makes prescription safety glasses, and those for people spending their days in front of a computer. We also do street wear prescription glasses - but it isn't the main part. I wear glasses for reading, and computing, etc. I got to work one day without my glasses. I told the team to make me some - 20 minutes later they were on my nose. Now I didn't have to pay, and that may be a factor, but they don't take long to make.

I have only had glasses for eighteen months. I got two pairs when I first had them - one for work, one by my bed (for late night reading). I later got verifocals so that I could keep them on in meetings and when teaching or speaking and church. And I got a sun glasses pair for wearing and reading on the beach. Then I got the ones because I forgot mine. So I have five pairs, hopefully that's enough.
@Redd ~ What AndrewR said about taking so long ~ after 12 years of the annual eye tests cause I am a diabetic - finally got Rx glasses. Made the mistake of getting glass lens w/bi-focals. My neck got stiff & sore from having to constantly adjust to see and the weight of the lens' caused the glasses to constantly slip down my nose. I don't have an indention or *break* at the bridge of my nose that would keep them in place. So after two weeks I went back in with the coupon they gave me for 50% off a second pair. Got the same frames but in burnished brass instead of antique brass and in plastic progressive lens. WHAT a difference!

@AndrewR ~ I have always bought "readers" from the Dollar Tree in a variety of colored plastic frames. Going from 1.25 to 3.00. When I gathered them all up [from the bedroom, kitchen, next to my computer, purse, car, and the tote I carry my diabetic meds in when I leave the house] there was a grand total of 20 pairs.  :o  I have kept two ~ the 3.0 ones, and gave the rest to the collection box at the VISA Optical place

When I ordered my second pair, they told me it could take up to 10 business days. OK, that was fine by me. Took them 3 days!

Now had I been living nearer to a get them done in One Hour place, I would have had to amuse myself for that hour. BUT since I don't live close enough to Tualatin, OR - I'll settle for the maximum of 10 days offered by VISTA Optical.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 11, 2018, 04:04:16 am »

Oh, Laurie - from puberty till I was 32 I suffered from debilitating migraines. Had it been stabbing pains I think I would have been able to endure them better - but mine started out with my vision slowly blacking out, then incredible pressure behind my eyes, sinuses and nose. THEN the pain hit - waves of crushing, explosive, hammering pain. ALL of my senses were in High Alert - even with an eye mask of black velvet completely covering my eyes, turning on a light KILLED me. I know your pain, and there isn't much at all others can do for you.

I had the debilitating migraines from when I was four until menopause hit, although they were at their worst during my teenage years. I still get migraines, but they're so mild by comparison now. But now, I also get auras if I do any close focusing, even with my reading glasses, so I have to avoid that as much as possible.

Aging isn't a whole lot of fun from that perspective, is it?
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 11, 2018, 02:49:34 pm »
I had the debilitating migraines from when I was four until menopause hit, although they were at their worst during my teenage years. I still get migraines, but they're so mild by comparison now. But now, I also get auras if I do any close focusing, even with my reading glasses, so I have to avoid that as much as possible.

Aging isn't a whole lot of fun from that perspective, is it?

Auras - that is the signal I get when a migraine is on it's way. IF I take at least 6 plain aspirins, get a damp-cold hand towel for my eyes & forehead, lay down in bed with ear plugs in BEFORE I go blind which is just moments before the PAIN sets in then within 2-3 hours I will be fine. No debilitating pain, no vomiting.  I get squiggles framing what I see, but that is when my blood sugars are either too high or too low. It is a Sure Sign for me to test and adjust accordingly.

Aging - When I was 13 on up, Grandma would say: Getting old isn't for the weak and feeble. and One must age gracefully, pains or not.

At age 18 I asked her what she meant by aging gracefully. She said, "you know the neighbor couple across the street? Well they didn't age gracefully - they are grouchy, cantankerous, mad at the world and most especially you young kids." Yep, they were.

Now that I have a name to my hurts, pains and aches - AND have had predniSONE to ease those pains and aches, then been slowly taken off of it, just to have the pains and aches back!, I know what Grandma was talking about. I also know what SHE was going through. She had RA, and never had any meds to ease her pains. I think she had fibromyalgia too. She always wore her clothing loose, and later she would only wear soft knitted sweat shirts, fleecy bottoms or silky pajamas. All of us grands were taught to hold her gently, give soft hugs and to NOT rub her anywhere. We were taught to let her hold our hands not the other way around. At the time I thought it was because she was a skinny grandma, and not a soft-round grandma like my school mates had.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 15, 2018, 01:23:51 am »
October 16 is National Feral Cat Day in the U.S., also called Global Cat Day. I don’t think any of our critters were feral, although several are adopted shelter animals. But feral cats & dogs need <3 as much as our Pepper or Tellulah, & they are more vulnerable because they are mostly dependent on themselves for any food & care they get. There are crazy cat ladies, eccentric old geezers, & some kindhearted kids who feed feral cat colonies in cities, but feral animals are more likely to have illnesses, be hit by cars, or get in damaging fights with other animals.

https://nationaltoday.com/national-feral-cat-day/ 

https://consciouscat.net/2014/10/12/national-feral-cat-day-2014/

https://globalcatday.org/

Our Cabin Critters volunteered to do a partial fast next week & donate half of their food costs to be given to feral cat & dog advocacy groups.

So you can plan ahead, October 27 is National Black Cat Day. Halloween season is tough on these beautiful critters, who sometimes get adopted from shelters to be used in pranks or “rituals” that end up being harmful to the cats. Many shelters will not adopt out black cats in October & November, for their protection. If you know a black cat, give it some TLC & an extra serving of salmon this month.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 15, 2018, 05:59:35 am »
And here, pardon me, is where I have to take a step back and understand the "rules" such as they are here.

I am assuming that much of the cat message is real - I don't know I am in the UK. But this: -

Halloween season is tough on these beautiful critters, who sometimes get adopted from shelters to be used in pranks or “rituals” that end up being harmful to the cats.

Are you serious? This is a for real, real life thing. People do this?

I thought Halloween was a much loved fun holiday in the USA, not Satanic mumbo jumbo.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1344 Posts
Roper Roper
1141 Posts
dyany dyany
819 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
677 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical