Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: April 2021 General Conference  (Read 291 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
April 2021 General Conference
« on: April 05, 2021, 01:48:13 am »
No one is talking about General Conference yet? (And no predictions in advance this time). I watched all of it, but haven’t chosen a favorite talk or talks. Still mulling over it all, and ant to go over what I wrote down while watching as well as see what was said at the PH session.

I was glad to hear all the Easter theme messages emphasizing Christ’s atonement, & also the offerings of peace & comfort for people having tough times. That’s probably most folks these days, to some degree, although the gospel perspective does give us a cushion. Not sure how people with no religious inclinations at all are doing, but I hope they are finding some way of their own to take care of themselves (& might eventually find the Lord’s way).

The “international session” was a fine addition, with speakers from every continent. An important acknowledgment that the Church is now more worldwide than North American, & since the entire event was on-line, it was easy for speakers who would ordinarily travel to SL to share their wisdom with us from wherever they are. 

I’m sure President Oaks upset a few people  ;) with his talk about the U.S. Constitution, the rule of law, our loyalty to the principles of law rather than any specific office holder, & the necessity to keep politics out of Church settings. Who better than a former state supreme court justice to tell it like it is?

And LBNL, 20 new temples planned, even in the plague year, so obviously Heavenly Father is still active & is still telling our prophets where He wants to His houses to be to enable more people to receive eternal blessings. Three new ones in Africa, one in the heart of Navajo country in Farmington NM, & one in Eugene OR just three hours from Medford. And one in Yorba Linda CA. A few years ago, it seemed wild that the Feather River Temple would be placed just 60 miles from Sacramento, but Yorba Linda is only 25 miles from Newport Beach, & it isn’t very far from Redlands either. The Lord must really want Southern California!

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: April 2021 General Conference
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 04:50:08 am »
Some of my kids quite recently asked why doesn't Norway have it's own temple yet, since all of us other Nordic countries (Iceland exluded, but there are so few members) have gotten theirs. We were excited Norwegians will have their own too.

There were many good things. I like it how Elder Oaks spoke about the parties and how President Nelson asked us all to do all we can to bring the Covid 19 numbers down in our areas.

What hit me most, and I mean hit strongly was Elder Eyrings one sentence in the first session. i had to look it up to get it exctly: "My purpose today in speaking of temples is to increase your desire and mine to be worthy and ready for the increased opportunities for temple experiences that are coming to us."

I believe something new is coming, I felt he was not referring to the opening of temples after covid not to the building of new temples. I am excitedly looking forward to what it is (may be he doesn't know either) and making sure I will have an increased desire and be both worthy and ready.

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 08:34:16 am »
Elder Gong was wonderful.  Most of the talks were.  Only a couple were sandpaper on my soul so that is good.  I still dunno what a stonecatcher is.  I am not clear what he meant. I am busy trying to not pick up stones in the first place.  Elder Oaks talk was terrifying for those who live outside the US and will have to teach it in RS.  It does not  translate well to countries not holdingvtheir constiturions as sacred. But the general topics were very heartening.  I was blessed to attend remotely with the Crowgirl and we texted our reactions.  The California temple brought them joy.  The Brussels temple I fear will limit even further access to the DenHague we already are working appointments only most days before the plague hit.

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 08:52:45 am »
I  find your view interesting Jana, on Elder Oaks's talk.  Sure, we do not hold our constitution divine not necessarily even much inspired, but I think it has been taught so often so clearly that all good comes from God, all good in our societies and our governments. Certainly we don't regard the US institution in such high regard either, I doubt anyone outside the US will focus on that, even though we do understand it did have benefits at the time that helped the gospel being restored there and thus was inspired. But I think the talk was full of very good and important points for all of us. I would   not be terrified at all to teach that.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 10:28:37 am »
With a very few exceptions, the Saturday Sessions were very much answers to prayer for me. Elder Renlund's talk in particular (Deseret News published a great follow-up to it later that day) included ideas I had longed to be hear in conference for years. It was a masterful talk, and one I'll be thinking about for a while.

I loved the international flavor of Sunday Morning, and hope that some of the elements of that aren't reserved for 'special' sessions, and become standard going forward, especially the use of local/international choirs.

The way Elder Oaks' talk began but me on edge (and I cynically thought, "Well, so much for 'Look! We're Not Just An American Church!"), but the ultimate content of his message is actually extremely relevant. Almost any Church News facebook post becomes a disgusting mess of political mudslinging. My ward leaders are regularly posting material online publicly calling into question the ability of those who didn't vote the way they did to be members in good standing, and potentially actively evil and wolves in sheeps clothing, Korihors, etc.

The partisan judging and divisions in the Church in the United States are incredibly toxic, and there IS a regular rarely contested suggestion that only one political party is alligned with the Church. Oaks, of all people, to come out to very, very, very directly quash that is actually very important, and I only pray it will make a difference, or at least lead to some introspection.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 11:40:12 am »
The partisan judging and divisions in the Church in the United States are incredibly toxic, and there IS a regular rarely contested suggestion that only one political party is alligned with the Church. Oaks, of all people, to come out to very, very, very directly quash that is actually very important, and I only pray it will make a difference, or at least lead to some introspection.
Agreed. I also liked how he emphasized the purposes of constitutional government--to establish and to limit. I'm constantly hearing about the limit part.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 07:30:44 pm »
The announcement of 20 new temples, and Elder Oaks' talk, really made conference for me.  Here's an informal transcript of some of Elder Oaks' Sunday talk. (Someone ran his audio through a text transcribing program, and others have edited it.)

This constitution is of special importance to our members in the United States, but it is also a common heritage of constitutions around the world. A constitution is the foundation of government. It provides structure and limits for the exercise of government powers. The United States constitution is the oldest written constitution still in force today. Though originally adopted by only a small number of colonies, it soon became a model world-wide. Today, every nation except three have adopted written constitutions.

5 divinely inspired principles in the Constitution:

1- The source of government power is the people. In a time when sovereign power was universally assumed to come from the divine right of kings or from military power, attributing sovereign power to the people was revolutionary. Philosophers had advocated this, but the United States constitution was the first to apply it. Sovereign power in the people does not mean that mobs or other groups of people can intervene to intimidate or force government action. The constitution established a constitutional democratic republic, where the people exercise their power through their elected representatives.

2- The division of delegated power between the nation and its subsidiary states. In our federal system, this unprecedented principle has sometimes been altered by inspired amendments, such as those abolishing slavery and extending voting rights to women. Significantly, the United States constitution limits the national government to the exercise of powers granted expressly or by implication, and it reserves all other government powers "to the states respectively or to the people".

3- The separation of powers. Well over a century before our 1787 constitutional convention, the English parliament pioneered the separation of legislative and executive authority when they wrested certain powers from the king. The inspiration in the American convention was to delegate independent executive, legislative, and judicial powers so these three branches could exercise checks upon one another.

4- The cluster of vital guarantees of individual rights and specific limits on government authority in the Bill of Rights, adopted by amendment just three years after the constitution went into force. A bill of rights was not new. Here, the inspiration was in the practical implementation of principles pioneered in England, beginning with the Magna Carta. The writers of the constitution were familiar with these because some of the colonial charters had such guarantees.
There was divine inspiration in the original provision that there should be no religious test for public office, but the addition of the religious freedom and anti-establishment guarantees in the First Amendment was vital. We also see divine inspiration in the First Amendment's freedoms of speech and press and in the personal protections in other amendments, such as for criminal prosecutions.

5-The vital purpose of the entire constitution. We are to be governed by law and not by individuals, and our loyalty is to the constitution and its principles and processes, not to any office-holder. In this way, all persons are to be equal before the law. These principles block the autocratic ambitions that have corrupted democracy in some countries. They also mean that none of the three branches of government should be dominant over the others or prevent the others from performing their proper constitutional functions to check one another.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 07:26:05 am »
Cook,
Perhaps my reaction is more that I am terrified of teaching that talk in my RS.  I relistened and relistened and honestly, as wonderful as the talk is crafted to walk the minefield of American church populations, teach all of us how crucial the Constitution was and is for the   reorganization of Christ's church then and the protection and prosperity of American church members now, I personally  am not really a fan of teaching my aged Dutch sisters the wonders of the sacred American document.
I hope it won't be on my assigned list.

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 07:58:35 am »
Perhaps my reaction is more that I am terrified of teaching that talk in my RS.

I am struggling to know why you would have to.

I'm EQP in my ward, so I get to decide which talks we cover. There are a maximum of 12 in six months. I will not be choosing this one since it not really relevant to my UK based quorum. It would need to be changed so much to fit with our political system as to make it pointless.

Surely your RSP will think the same.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 08:56:15 am »
I am hoping that Andrew but sometimes  my assignments feel like just going down the list of talks so I have had challenges.

Full disclosure edit: I just prepped Love Your Enemies from D.H.Oaks in the October Conference. I did not even try to figure our what to do with over a third of the talk  about laws, riots, protests....which apply to zero of my sisters.  But at least there was enough about reforming  adversarial relationships and hate that plenty of nonpolitical non government discussion can be had.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 11:39:18 am by Jana at Jade House »

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 02:02:03 pm »
I listened to President Oakes talk last night and didn't really hear anything controversial or groundbreaking as far as church doctrine goes.  Perhaps it is an attempt to draw people back who have been practicing their politics with a religious fervor.

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 02:30:13 pm »
It was very much addressing a pervasive cultural problem in the United States that has lead and is leading to members being unnecessarily (and non-doctrinally) othered and made to feel unwelcome in their own Church.

It's telling everyone no matter what their political persuasion is, to "Stop it."

It's a talk very much designed to have every Church member asking, "Lord, is it I?"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:34:30 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: cook, Roper, Sparky

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 10:56:37 am »
It's a talk very much designed to have every Church member asking, "Lord, is it I?"

I was incredibly happy to watch Elder Oaks' talk Sunday.  It was like a refreshing breath of normalcy, after a pandemic-and-social-unrest-fueled year of grief.  In the last year, I've interacted with people who are giving serious thought to, or even vigorously pushing, notions like:

- The constitution is (at best) outdated/needs to be replaced, or (at worst) is evil/needs to be actively resisted.
- Separation of powers should be discarded when people feel it's justified.
- People should not be treated as equal citizens in the eyes of the law.  Government should make things harder for some people, and easier for others, for various reasons.
- Pulling down statues of people who created and preserved our constitution, and burning what some consider our sacred institutions to the ground, is a worthy goal long overdue.

I'm grateful to hear from folks like Jason, who considered Oaks' remarks to be so self-evident as to be almost boring.  You don't have to cross too many sociopolitical lines to find how not everyone sees it that way.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 12:25:49 pm »
I was incredibly happy to watch Elder Oaks' talk Sunday.  It was like a refreshing breath of normalcy, after a pandemic-and-social-unrest-fueled year of grief.
I absolutely agree. Here are a few things which really stood out to me:

"In these remarks I do not speak for any political party or other group. I speak for the United States Constitution..." It's a reminder that the foundation which unites us is stronger than partisan division.

"The Constitution was not 'a fully grown document,' said President J. Reuben Clark. 'On the contrary,' he explained, 'we believe it must grow and develop to meet the changing needs of an advancing world.' ... However, we do not see inspiration in every Supreme Court decision interpreting the Constitution." I think we need to tone down the rhetoric from both sides--those who want to replace the constitution AND the uber originalists.

"The Constitution established a constitutional democratic republic..." Again, I see this as a clarification for both sides "It's a republic, not a democracy!" and "No, it's a democracy first!" to tone it down. It's both.

"Another inspired principle is the separation of powers." For me, this is a big one. I have been concerned about the growing power of the Executive branch for the last 20 years. Both parties in the Oval Office have taken more and more power from the Legislative branch.

"We are to be governed by law and not by individuals, and our loyalty is to the Constitution and its principles and processes, not to any office holder."Can I get a Hallelujah?

"There are many political issues, and no party, platform, or individual candidate can satisfy all personal preferences. Each citizen must therefore decide which issues are most important to him or her at any particular time. Then members should seek inspiration on how to exercise their influence according to their individual priorities. This process will not be easy. It may require changing party support or candidate choices, even from election to election."

"Such independent actions will sometimes require voters to support candidates or political parties or platforms whose other positions they cannot approve. That is one reason we encourage our members to refrain from judging one another in political matters. We should never assert that a faithful Latter-day Saint cannot belong to a particular party or vote for a particular candidate. We teach correct principles and leave our members to choose how to prioritize and apply those principles on the issues presented from time to time. We also insist, and we ask our local leaders to insist, that political choices and affiliations not be the subject of teachings or advocacy in any of our Church meetings."
I wish this would become required reading before every Elders Quorum meeting.

All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, JLM, Taalcon

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 09:20:41 am »
I personally  am not really a fan of teaching my aged Dutch sisters the wonders of the sacred American document.

President Oaks was explicit why it was appropriate for the whole church, specifically that lots of governing documents across the world used the US Constitution (notably to break up duties and to assure basic human rights) when they formed their own ruling documents.    If I was teaching that talk in a different country of the world, I would show how the 5 inspired things he identified applied in my own country.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: dyany

* Calendar

April 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts