Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Women as Area Organization Advisers  (Read 251 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Women as Area Organization Advisers
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:45:29 am »
Women will now serve in an official advisory role at the international area level.

"Area organisation advisers will give instruction to Church leaders and provide women’s perspectives at all levels of councils. They will also represent the Primary, Young Women, and Relief Society organisations in their service."

"The position of area organisation adviser expands leadership roles for women in the area and builds upon the practice of women and men serving alongside each other in unity on councils and committees on the other levels."

https://news-uk.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-expands-leadership-roles-for-women-in-europe
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky, nitasmile

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Women as Area Organization Advisers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 03:19:58 pm »
That is nice, thanks for letting us know!

The following users thanked this post: Roper

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 12:10:50 am »
Why not something similar in the US and Canada? Love the idea..11 years ago I was in a stake Relief Society presidency. I was second councilor.  I remember feeling like I was only a figurehead at times. I recall a time  in stake council where the stake pres asked us the RS if we had anything else to say. I said it would be good for someone to talk with the mission pres about the meal times for missionaries,  as the restrictions were tough for families with excess rules  and did not seem to consider  the predicament of women who had husbands with long commutes in the area.
The stake pres just said that he wanted to follow his Priesthood leader.  Well so did I..we were told to serve missionaries meals to help with their expenses etc. But the stake pres and I were both wanting to be obedient,  but my role as a woman was dismissed.
Likewise as a stake rs presidency member, we were asked to serve the meal between stake conference sessions when a visiting GA came..but the people invited to the meal were the stake presidency,  stake executive secretary and their wives. So this says something about women..glad things are changing!!

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 12:40:37 am »
I'm curious, why would you not have contacted the misdion president straight yourselves in the first place?

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 12:52:08 am »
Cook, church culture is so much about chain if command and obedience. I have mentioned to the sisters who did not wish to mention...not just this but even how the missionaries are not allowed meals, gifts etc..has to be on mission pres approval. 
In retrospect, maybe that would have been ideal..the rule about limited times actually came from the area authority  who was a multimillionaire so nit as aware of regular jobs.

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 11:51:31 am »
Likewise as a stake rs presidency member, we were asked to serve the meal between stake conference sessions when a visiting GA came..but the people invited to the meal were the stake presidency,  stake executive secretary and their wives. So this says something about women..glad things are changing!!

Reading this sort of thing makes me mad. The implication is that the church is over looking women. However, the more of this type of thing I read, and the church Patriarch being blamed (albeit not here), the more I realise this is US culture.

Whenever we have a GA/AA visit our stake for conference. The between session meal has all the organisational presidents invited - RS, SS, P, YM, YW. And the majority of his time is speaking with them.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Roper, nitasmile

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 01:48:11 pm »
 Seems to me that the issue of serving versus listening at the feet of Christ is an old one, not just a US culture problem.

38 Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at [a]Jesus’ feet and heard His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”

41 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

I would think of it as an honor to be asked to serve a meal to visiting authorities and the area leaders and their wives.  I can see how others wouldn't see it that way. If you're asked to do anything and you resent it - respectfully decline. There are others that would be delighted to take your place.

The other issue of women's suggestions being ignored because they are women, I have to respectfully disagree.

Over the years I have watched priesthood holders whose suggestions are also seemingly 'ignored'. It's not a male/female issue. It is more of a leadership problem. Some leaders are skilled administrators; others are thrown into callings with no idea of what they are doing. Most learn and usually imperfectly.

It'd be great if our ideas were always responded to, but it's not the way things work.

One of the things I pray about is that I can accept the mistakes and frailties of the leadership in the church, particularly the local leaders. When my husband was bishop, he tried so hard to do what was right. Not everyone agreed and some were very vocal about it. Truth is, he did make mistakes and some haunt him to this day. Each Relief Society president, branch president, bishop, stake leader and general authority can probably say the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:51:14 pm by Palmon »

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 03:31:42 pm »
The reason I asked is because here even the Ward RS president would have contacted the Mission President directly. Though to be honest, the Ward mission leaders would have been first ones to contact him with that same info before even giving the rules out to members.

I agree there are certain things where it is about the chain of command -if you feel your bishop is misbehaving, you don't contact the prophet, but the Stake President first. But in things like this it would not be such. I do agree with AndrewR that a lot of the issues people moan about especially regarding women are issues that seem to exist only or mainly in the US, though not everywhere in the US like Palmon points out.

The regard for position seem to be more important over there too. To us even the use of president sound just so silly (we don't use that) and to hear about people aspiring for certain positions or feeling bad if they've never been called as a bishop etc... So I guess it may explain why there may be perceptions about the chain of command and such which may make people think they would not have the right to voice opinions to the source.

I don't know how big percentage of Finns have written throughout years to Mission presidents, Area presidents and apostles and prophets about allowing missionaries to go to sauna while on a mission, but I'd guess it's not a very small percentage  ;D

Enochscion

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 01:32:37 am »
An issue, as I see it, with implementing and relating to the chain of command, is that we don't actually have clear instructions how to do it. Sure, we have general ideas floating around of what to do if you feel that there is something that an immediate leader is doing wrong that is important enough to address a superior (talk to their superior), but I don't think there is anywhere that actually says that, and definitely no official guidance for members on how to determine what should be brought up to a higher authority.

Lacking such clear instructions, procedures, or protocols, we are left with a bunch of us crazy people just doing what makes sense in our own cultures and world views.

What we are told is to sustain our leaders, with almost no practical examples of how you can elevate a concern to a higher level in a way that involves sustaining leaders--and while it may exist, I'm not aware of any formal (ie, written down and given to all) instructions to leaders about how to react to such situations.

And this means that if you do have a concern you want to elevate past your immediate leaders, it sure seems to me like the assumption is that you are being disobedient and not sustaining your leaders. And if someone is already interacting with you under that assumption, they are already less likely to take what you say seriously. And since most of the time they really do care about the welfare of your soul, they are probably more focused on being concerned that you may not be sustaining your leaders, than listening to the content of what you needed to talk about in the first place.

One of the most frustrating phenomenon in the church is that people really do have their hearts in the right place and are trying to do the right thing as they understand it, the vast majority of the time, but the programs often have "holes" that are easy to fall through if some situation isn't an apparent exact fit for pre-existing assumptions.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, Sarahgirl, Hobbes, nitasmile

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 06:26:21 pm »
Thanks for the responses to my comment. To be clear, Palmon, I was actually completely honored to be asked to help serve the meal the first couple times. Jut prior to being given that calling, I had a time of not being allowed to serve on the Pioneer Trek due to being single/not married, they only wanted couples. So when I got asked to help serve the meal, I was honored! I thought of all the women in the stake, I am asked to help with this and I was probably the worst cook!!
 .it was later when I realized I would like to be able to also listen to what the GA said!
 Years ago when I was a direct caregiver, I got written up for violating a chain of command at work,  in sharing a couple ideas with management..my attitude was of excitement and due to ADD but was written up
 So I worry about those issues.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:08:31 am »
Nita, over the years I have seen you emulate Martha with all the service you’ve given. You probably don’t realize that you really are a hero with your profession and all the service that you have done in your personal life and your willingness to do more. By desiring to sit and learn at the feet of His disciplines, you are ‘choosing the good part.”  I’m sorry I did not listen closer to what you were saying.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy, Roper, nitasmile

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 07:25:08 pm »
Thanks Palmon, no need to be sorry! I post in such haste and without careful attention to what I say. Lately have just been more spiritually hungry. It is like I hear or read something spiritual but am still hungry.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Palmon

* Calendar

April 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: masks in church by Sparky