Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: masks in church  (Read 892 times)

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: masks in church
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 11:22:39 pm »
Our area president strongly recommended going back to virtual meetings, which we are thankfully doing effective immediately.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2020, 01:25:31 am »
Our area president strongly recommended going back to virtual meetings, which we are thankfully doing effective immediately.

This is why we can't have nice things.  :(

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2020, 09:00:27 am »
To my mind, not wearing a mask when the Church directs us to do so is a sign of pridefulness. When those men that we have sustained tell us that we need to wear masks, if someone does not do so, how are they living up to that sustaining vote? Just like the Nephites, we go through our pride cycle, and I think this is a good indication of where we are in that cycle just now

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, LMAshton, Jen, dyany, Roper

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 01:40:23 pm »
We just got a letter today that wearing masks is a requirement at church now. It wasn't before. It was suggested, but not required. So my husband wasn't going against our leadership. In fact, a member of the stake presidency was in our ward last week and when he spoke he took off his mask. Yes, after every speaker the podium and microphone was wiped down, whether the speaker wore a mask or not. We won't be attending church until masks are no longer required.

And yes, it probably is prideful on my husband's part, but I can't make him change his mind or wear a mask, though we have certainly had quite a few discussions about it. And I still love him.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Hobbes

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 04:17:01 pm »
That sounds really hard, Sparky. I'm sorry for the tough for position you're in.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, dyany, Roper, Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 10:36:41 pm »
To my mind, not wearing a mask when the Church directs us to do so is a sign of pridefulness. When those men that we have sustained tell us that we need to wear masks, if someone does not do so, how are they living up to that sustaining vote? Just like the Nephites, we go through our pride cycle, and I think this is a good indication of where we are in that cycle just now
The pride cycle brought up in the Book of Mormon often started out with misuse of affluence, treatment of the poor, thinking of oneself better than others, as well as acceptance of Savior and life after death. But pride can be considered the root of many different sins and actions and can be exhibited in many different ways.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Scruffydog, Roper, Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2020, 11:34:37 pm »
Two weeks ago we got a new bishop. Last week, the governor moved us back to stricter COVID protocols, and as a result, the area presidency has strongly recommended going back to virtual meetings (as Jen pointed out).
Most of our ward, as I've mentioned, has not taken this seriously. But last week in our tithing settlement with the new bishop, we asked a few questions, such as Zoom sacrament (which we've never done) and having a real account for that and other meetings (rather than the free, 40 minute limit accounts or asking people to use their work or personal paid accounts). The bishop was resistant--the constant idea is that things will 'go back to normal' at any time--but then the stake not only told us to go to virtual meetings, but recommended each ward get their own Zoom accounts and provided equipment and training (on Saturday, effective the next day) for sacrament meetings to be broadcast. And because we had mentioned much of this to the bishop on Thursday, we got pulled in and are now unofficially in charge of getting sacrament broadcast.
I feel a little useful again, and am delighted that we are providing for 'the least of these' now. I'm trying to release the resentment that had built up because of the cavalier and thoughtless attitude that so many had shown, reminding myself that I am not perfect, either, and everyone is in a different place with different realms of understanding and application. So I'm focusing on how happy I am that we can help, and have been allowed to.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, Scruffydog, Redd, Taalcon

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2020, 11:45:18 pm »
Iím happy for you, Dyany. Not for your new calling (but congratulations) but for the decision youíve made to let go of your resentments. May you find joy.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2020, 11:56:01 pm »
I'm ALWAYS trying to let go of resentments.
It's why I had to buy myself a Strange Planet t-shirt that says, "I AM A BEACON OF JOY." Because apparently it doesn't show so much IRL. ;P

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Palmon

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:15 am »
You are a better person than I.  I think the biggest and most dangerous pandemic weíre in is one of resentment , anger and hatred. It is so easy to catch and so hard to beat.  Itís a daily struggle for me, which is why I admire so much people, like you, can  who consciously decide to put it aside.

The following users thanked this post: Patty Rain

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2020, 11:08:08 am »
I'm a Gospel Doctrine teacher. Gave my first class via Zoom this past Sunday. They're in the process of announcing 2nd hour in-person meetings will begin again first week of December. I've made it very well known to my leaders that I would likely not be able to participate in in-person classes due to the the high-risk factor of my wife, mixed with the fact that a high percentage of our ward openly mocks mask guidelines, and that while ward members have the freedom to choose not to believe that masking up would protect anyone, I need to exercise the freedom to not place my family in harm's way because of potential results of their beliefs in (in)action.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, dyany, Roper, Sparky

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2020, 08:01:53 pm »
My governor did it again: New Mexico is under strict 2 week hunker in place rules. Big box stores can be open and only have 75 shoppers in at any time. Dillard's, Walmart, target Walgreens and most big supermarkets are open, restaurants are only to do take out, drive through or delivery, and churches are to cut down on the amount of people allowed in.
  We have two wards and a YSA branch meeting in our building. My ward will meet at 9am for half of the congregation and 10am for the second half. we have had sacrament meeting only so timing of the new sacrament times will be strict. (Read: long winded prayers and speakers will not be requested to participate ;D)  The next ward will meet at 11am and 12 noon with the YSA meeting at 1pm. Masks will be required (though if you show up with out one or take it off during services, you will not be ushered out or excommunicated, and half of the pews are designated "do not sit" with lots of individual chairs placed in the over flow area back to the stage.
 This is a really bad time for the entire state to be shut down, there are lots of mom and pop places that may not make it.

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2020, 04:22:44 am »
Yesterday was my husband's birthday. Yesterday he got fired. He told me he was ready to go against his firmly held beliefs about masks and agree to wear one when the boss became condescending and dismissive. At that he chose to not give in. We will be fine, financially. I'm fine. I'm not so sure about him. He has a history of clinical depression. Circumstances may cause it to overwhelm the meds and rear its ugly head. Time will tell.

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2020, 05:46:49 am »
You are on my prayerlist.  both of you.  golly.  just golly.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2020, 06:52:38 am »
  This is a really bad time for the entire state to be shut down, there are lots of mom and pop places that may not make it.

No time is a good time. California has just instituted a 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. curfew for non-essential operations in "purple" counties that aren't doing well. It which covers 94% of the state's population.

If the entire country had had decisive federal leadership & the cooperation of all governors in the spring, & a unified, uniform action plan (with some adaptations for local circumstances), then maybe draconian measures would not be necessary today. Maybe the economic impact would have been less severe, with more small businesses able to resume normal operations sooner & less people unemployed long-term.

We'll never know now, because there was no national leadership to direct an organized nationwid response. As a result, we saw uneven action among the states, stop-and-go or slow-and-go restrictions, & extreme uncertainty & anxiety among ordinary people.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

* Recent Topics

* Calendar

December 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5]
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts