Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: masks in church  (Read 2032 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: masks in church
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 03:39:28 pm »
I think the best comparison is no smoking in public places.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Patty Rain, Redd

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 05:10:27 pm »
My husband is an anti-masker. It hasn't mattered what I've said. He thoroughly believes that masks do absolutely no good. As for the questions Curelom asked about why follow laws, etc? They do provide safety, he would respond. Masks don't do anything. He's to the point that if it is enforced at his work, that he'd rather quit than to wear a mask.  And we really can't afford for that to happen. He has worn them on occasion to please me, but that was back in the early months and lately he won't wear one no matter what. I don't have anything left in me to tell him or to do. I've given him different types of masks to try. It doesn't matter. So, I feel like I have him being unemployed coming up in the next few months because work isn't going to back down. And he won't be able to find work someplace else because of his age and their requirement to wear a mask. And if it is pushed too much at church, he'll stop attending. It's not an easy situation to be in.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 05:20:15 pm »
oh  my, sparky.  He sure has chosen a strange hill to die on...and I hope he stays well.  But to put your job in jeapordy because of a mask?  I would be dumbfounded.
I really feel for you. 
Be well, stay safe, and you are on my list.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 10:13:27 pm »
I would love to wear a powered respirator around instead of a mask. They are far more effective than N95s. It is nice to have fresh air constantly blowing across my face. They do not smoosh my face. And they would make a fashion statement.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 10:28:02 pm »
One of the teachers at my school told me that she absolutely will not be getting a Coronavirus vaccine when it becomes available. I listened and tried to reassure her that it was still months away, and that nobody was talking about requirements at this point. She said, "Well, if it becomes required to work in a school, then I will quit." I guess we'll see what happens in a few months...
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 10:44:43 pm »
Hmmm, well, people do pick some odd hills to die on. Lots of people are picking some very strange battles these days. Anyway, talk is cheap, & we'll see what happens when the rubber meets the road. If it comes to keeping one's job, having rent or food money, or making it necessary for one's spouse to go out & get a second or third job, or a teen still in school to go to work because a parent has opted to become unemployed over mask wearing, let's see how cheap the talk is then.

There are some principles that everyone should consider non-negotiable. They will vary for each person, but I think we can all list a few that we would have to take to our graves. If mask refusal is one of a person's inviolable principles, I would be interested to know what the others are.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Roper

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 04:24:46 am »
I wear a mask where I have to, I don't any place else. We are not required to wear them at work.

I do wish I didn't have to wear one whilst playing the organ/piano at church because as soon as I put my glasses on (required for reading only) they steam up. And I can't see the music - and I, even after having played the hymns for 45 years, can not play without music.

My only real beef with masks is that I think they have a few negative effects that are not helpful in general.

People do not change them, they are in and out of pockets, on dash boards, etc. So if they have caught coronavirus (or any other virus) on them it is being transferred around, eventually to hands.

Also, and in combination with above, the insistence by governments to wear them have made some solely dependent on them as their protection. Thus - less handwashing, use of sanitizer, and general considerations for other vectors.

If the mask is seen as the be-all and end-all solution the virus will spread.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 06:40:50 am »
My great hope is that public health education will step up and produce a good teaching program on mask wearing, including clean hands before donning, after disposal or in a baggie to wash.  How to wear them ON the nose.  Etcetcetc. That everyone is left to their own advice is inexcusable.  If they want masks to be part of mitigation, then teach mitigation publicly, simply and completely.

Andrew, you need a different mask. My made for me clth one is comfy and I can wear glasses without fogging.  Because it ties I can adjust it really well.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 07:10:39 am »
Andrew, I take my mask off to play the organ. That, and when taking the sacrament are the only times I take it off at church. I'm the only one who plays the organ, and there is a barrier between me and everyone else. I've tried lots of masks. I can't see to play with a mask on. It black cks my view of the keys. And like you, despite my 45 years of playing, I still need the music.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Curelom, nitasmile

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:37 pm »
I recently got a glasses cleaning cloth from Nerdwax called 'Fog block' and it has a substance in it that suppresses fogging (even the best wires aren't perfect). It's not 100%, but it works way better than wires alone. I know there are other similar products out there.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Curelom, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 09:09:08 am »
Communal worship feeds my soul. That's changing. When I attend church with individuals who openly reject the guidance of our prophet and defiantly oppose lawful health regulations from our elected officials, when they engage in behaviors which endanger the health of my family, I have no desire to even be in the same room with them, let alone worship with them. In addition to praying for an end to this pandemic, I pray for Prince of Peace to heal this disease of rebellion and narcissism which has infected so many of my brothers and sisters.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, Jana at Jade House, Curelom, dyany, nitasmile

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 03:14:31 pm »
[Masks definitely make it hard to see!! It has been a visuslly challenging year with making, fog, progressive lenses,, rain...trying to read small print.

quote author=Sparky link=topic=1178.msg18156#msg18156 date=1605183039]
Andrew, I take my mask off to play the organ. That, and when taking the sacrament are the only times I take it off at church. I'm the only one who plays the organ, and there is a barrier between me and everyone else. I've tried lots of masks. I can't see to play with a mask on. It black cks my view of the keys. And like you, despite my 45 years of playing, I still need the music.
[/quote]

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 05:52:47 pm »
Communal worship feeds my soul. That's changing. When I attend church with individuals who openly reject the guidance of our prophet and defiantly oppose lawful health regulations from our elected officials, when they engage in behaviors which endanger the health of my family, I have no desire to even be in the same room with them, let alone worship with them. In addition to praying for an end to this pandemic, I pray for Prince of Peace to heal this disease of rebellion and narcissism which has infected so many of my brothers and sisters.

Same. I've just let my bishopric know I won't be there to play the organ for the foreseeable future. My family doesn't feel safe. It's sad.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 08:21:48 pm »
If it makes anyone feel better about me and hubby, we don't interact with anybody. We sit on the stand in the farthest back row.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 11:56:51 pm »
This is really, really sad.

I recently got to attend church in person for the first time since March. Many of us have decided we will alternate with online, to 1) reduce the chances of exposing ourselves or each other, & 2) give other people a chance to go. The spirit of community worship & unity was palpable, even though only about 1/8 of regular attendees came. It was obvious how much everyone had missed the experience of going to church each week & seeing people in person.

We did have a little trouble with "personal freedom" attitude, but it was resolved peacefully. Sad to say, the party decided to leave rather than put on masks. I'm sorry they decided that their political or philosophical position was stronger than their wish to join everyone else for worship, the sacrament, & fellowship.

We were given mandatory procedures to follow, in compliance with state & county policies & Area Presidency instructions. Of those who stayed, not one person strayed. No one took off their mask except for the sacrament, & only after the priesthood holder was distanced, no one belted out a hymn, every speaker cleaned the mic & pulpit with a disinfectant wipe when they were done, people didn't congregate inside the socialize afterward, etc. Everyone treated the occasion like a special privilege we had received to come to church in person, & no one wanted to jeopardize it for their brothers & sisters,

The Bay Area has generally been good about compliance. We do have some naysayers - there's always someone who knows what is best for their own selves & everyone else be durned. Up in San Francisco, they have pulled back up on some activities even more strictly than the state, out of an excess of caution. It's hitting people & businesses hard, in a city where tourism, conventions, dining, & cultural events are a huge part of the economic & social fabric. Everyone I know there is worn out. But for the most part, in S.F. & San Mateo County, folks are behaving. Not just to stay healthy, but because they believe the public health is also their responsibility. Isn't that what the Lord had in mind when He said, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them" & "Love thy neighbor as thyself"? Isn't that why we frown on Cain for asking, "Am I my brother's keeper"? I understand how self-centered some people are, but it's distressing to see it in folks who have taken the name of Christ.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, rcaywood

* Recent Topics

topic Andrew
[General Discussion]
LMAshton
Today at 09:24:34 am
topic COVID-19
[Covid-19]
Roper
Today at 09:00:52 am
topic Cabin 2.0
[General Discussion]
Curelom
Today at 12:43:00 am
topic Throw-together recipes
[Cooking, Food, and Food Storage]
pnr
January 24, 2021, 10:02:57 pm
topic Household & travel hints
[Everything Else]
Curelom
January 24, 2021, 05:25:33 pm
topic Y'all want a bunch of new members?
[General Discussion]
GoodyScrivener
January 22, 2021, 11:08:55 pm
topic New Weird News Thread
[Current Events & News]
pnr
January 21, 2021, 05:22:49 pm
topic A Modest Prediction
[Politics]
Roper
January 21, 2021, 01:29:11 pm
topic Current Events - US Politics Edition