Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: My fum hurts, Daddy.  (Read 85 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
My fum hurts, Daddy.
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:54:07 pm »
Last week, Sarah-Grace had lunch with Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma clipped Sarah-Graces fingernails. At one point, Sarah-Grace moved unexpectedly, and Grandma clipped a tiny bit of skin on the end of Sarah-Grace's thumb. When I got home after work, Sarah-Grace approached me with her thumb sticking up. It had a purple Band-Aid on it. She said, "My fum hurts, Daddy." I asked her to tell me about in and then kissed it better. She went off to play.

About 15 minutes later, Sarah-Grace came back and showed me her thumb. "My fum hurts, Daddy," she said. I sat down with her and we read a story to get her mind on something else. After the story, she went off to play again.

A few minutes later, Sarah-Grace came back and showed me her thumb. "My fum hurts, Daddy," she said again. This time, I heard her voice start to shake. I asked, "Do you want a different Band-Aid?" She shook her head and big tears appeared in her eyes. I realized that she expected me to make it better. I held her and let her cry for several minutes. She fell asleep and I gently covered her with a blanket.

When we experience anguish, whether as the consequences of our own choices, or because of the actions of another person, or because of the path we have chosen, and we go to our Father seeking relief, his capacity to heal us is infinite--far beyond what I could do for my four-year-old daughter.

In Alma 36, we learn of Alma's anguish and of our Father's response: 17) And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world. 18) Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death. 19) And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.

When we cry out in anguish over the things we have done, our Father hears us. He can heal us through the Atonement of Jesus Christ so that we remember our pains no more.

In Liberty Jail, Joseph Smith cried out in anguish over the plight of the saints. Our Father answered in section 122 of the Doctrine and Covenants: 5) If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; ... 6) If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; ... and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb; 7) And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; ... and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. 8 ) The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

I have to admit that I find that answer to be of little comfort. It's seems especially undeserved for someone as faithful as Joseph. That could well be the conclusion if we stop there. Verse 9) Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

Our Father knew that Joseph's mission was not complete. Joseph still had much work to do in building the Lord's Kingdom. Our Father communicated to Joseph that He had heard Joseph's cries in every detail. He gave Joseph perspective. And then He promised Joseph that evil would not triumph.

When we cry out in anguish over the things others have done, our Father hears us. He can strengthen us by giving us perspective and promise: "Fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

In Gethsemane, as the weight of the atonement began to descend on our Savior, he cried out, "... Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." (Luke 22:42) Our Father responded. 43) And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

Our father knew that His Son, our Savior, would purchase our freedom and our redemption with His life. Our Father knew that His Son, our Savior, would not shrink from that choice--that He would finish the work he was sent to do. And so, during those hardest first steps of the atonement in Gethsemane, our Father sent an angel.

When we cry out in anguish because the path of obedience we have chosen seems completely overwhelming, our Father hears us. He can send angels to strengthen us.

"My fum hurts, Daddy." I could kiss it better. I could put some Neosporin and a new Band-Aid on it. I couldn't immediately heal it. I could tell her about the pain of broken bones and surgeries and how I recovered in time. I could tell her about the pain of losing a loved one or of being betrayed by someone I trusted. I could offer her that perspective and promise her that she won't even feel it in two more days. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be helpful for a four-year-old. I did the only thing I really could do to help. For a while, I was her angel. I gave her strength and comfort so she could make it through the hardest part at first.

"I've seen and met angels wearing the disguise of ordinary people leading ordinary lives..." - Tracy Chapman

Be an angel. Our Father will lead us to a sister or a brother who desperately needs an angel. We just have to ask for directions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:59:38 pm by Roper »
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, cook, Sparky, Palmon, nitasmile

* Calendar

April 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: masks in church by Sparky