Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What did you vote for l?  (Read 151 times)

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
What did you vote for l?
« on: November 03, 2020, 05:33:52 pm »
Not who or what party but what are the POSITIVE things you voted for.
For this thread, if anyone responds, don’t mention anything of the opposing party/candidate.  Only the positives and how you envision those affecting the future.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: What did you vote for l?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 07:36:24 pm »
I voted FOR the following amendments to the Utah Constitution:

- Amendment to change words that apply to a single gender (such as the word “men”) to words that are not limited to a single gender (such as the word “persons”).

- Amendment to specify that certain requirements that a person must meet to be eligible for the office of senator or representative in the Utah Legislature apply at the time the person is elected or appointed.

- Amendment to remove the language that allows slavery and involuntary servitude as punishment for a crime.

- Amendment to allow a municipality to define the boundary of the municipality’s water service area and to set the terms of water service for that area.

- Amendment to preserve the individual right to hunt and to fish, including the right to use traditional hunting and fishing methods subject to certain regulation, and to establish public hunting and fishing as the preferred way of managing and controlling wildlife.

- Amendment to change when annual general sessions of the Utah Legislature begin from the fourth Monday in January to a day in January designated by a law passed by the Utah Legislature and exclude state holidays that are not also federal holidays from counting towards the maximum number of days of the Utah Legislature’s annual general sessions.

- Amendment to expand the uses of money the state receives from income taxes and intangible property taxes to include supporting children and supporting people with a disability.

All of these had been passed by the state legislature. They needed to be ratified by citizens.

All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:57:09 pm »
We only had 1 initiative on the ballot, and I think I voted against it (I don't remember details as I voted about 3 weeks ago). So I don't have the more interesting list Roper has. :)

But here's who I voted FOR:
I voted FOR candidates who had platforms I liked and were responsive and clear with providing information by answering questions from  respectable and unbiased voter information sites. Honestly, taking the time to answer real questions is a HUGE plus for me. Being from a low population, bleeding red state, we have a ton of candidates that are rarely even challenged, as the vast majority of the population votes straight ticket R as gormlessly as they possibly can. So for the candidates who got through those primaries, they don't feel the need to do something so time-consuming as answer 2-3 softball questions. I find this pretentious, so it's a huge hit against a candidate if they avoid simple methods of actually informing the public of what they stand for.
So I voted FOR candidates who work to earn my vote.
I voted FOR candidates who understand that as an essential piece of a representative democracy, the voter should be well-informed (not marketed to) and they support that idea with action.
I voted FOR candidates from 2 major parties, 1 side party, and one or two with no party affiliation at all, because I voted FOR pulling the teeth and claws on partisan politics,
I voted FOR policies and candidates that I feel will better work to help build policies and laws and structure that will help people in general, even if our methods may differ slightly, rather than those who only pander to their own interests and benefits. (That gets harder and harder to do the higher you go, but I will still try.)
I skipped voting for the positions for which I could not acquire sufficient information to confidently place my vote, and by doing so expressed my support of the idea that my voice as a voter is important enough to not be decided by something as capricious as the toss of a coin or the letter after a name.
I voted despite the fact that my votes in many areas would count for nothing because of where I live, because I voted for the hope that I will keep trying even when it seems hopeless.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:50:34 am by dyany »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 05:10:16 pm »
I voted for what I thought was best for the country, state, county, & city, & I thought that would also be best for the world.

I try not to ever be a one-issue voter. People who vote entirely on their opinion on abortion, same-sex marriage, Iran, China, gun control or gun rights (see, we can't even agree on what to call it  :-\ ), tend to have tunnel vision & myopia. People who vote entirely out of idealistic aspirations about what the world should be tend to lack a grasp of reality. People who vote entirely on what will benefit them personally the most tend to have other afflictions that are worse than tunnel vision, myopia, or poor grasp of reality.

The great Jewish thinker Hillel said. "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am for myself alone, what am I?" IOW, love yourself & your neighbor. Imagine if everyone voted or acted that way.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 04:39:50 pm »
I mainly voted to honor my ancestors who built the United States.  I voted to honor my roots.  I voted to exercise democratic rights.  I voted so that I could stand before God at the bar, and know I did my best to be of good report.
I voted with the desire to see America heal.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sparky

* Recent Topics

* Calendar

December 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5]
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts