Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: President Oaks: "Of Course Black Lives Matter!"  (Read 380 times)

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
President Oaks: "Of Course Black Lives Matter!"
« on: October 27, 2020, 02:24:34 pm »
“The shocking police-produced death of George Floyd in Minnesota last May was surely the trigger for these nationwide protests, whose momentum was carried forward under the message of “BLACK LIVES MATTER.” Of course, Black lives matter! That is an eternal truth all reasonable people should support. Unfortunately, that persuasive banner was sometimes used or understood to stand for other things that do not command universal support. Examples include abolishing the police or seriously reducing their effectiveness or changing our constitutional government. All these are appropriate subjects for advocacy, but not under what we hope to be the universally acceptable message: Black lives matter."
- Dallin H. Oaks

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/president-oaks-byu-devotional-summary-october-2020
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:50:48 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Roper

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
Re: President Oaks: "Of Course Black Lives Matter!"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 02:43:23 pm »
i.e. message to BYU student body:

Stop equating the message that racial minorities deserve equal treatment by police authorities with other more radical political positions.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 02:49:34 pm »
I love how he distinguished the aspects that might be partisan or political (without condemning them!), with what should not be under debate at all.

My wife, who has a Black Lives Matter banner on her Facebook profile picture, has had SEVERAL members (some whom she didn't even personally know), call her out as being, essentially Korihor for advocating such a radical anti-Church slogan.

A Bishop in our stake sent out an email to his entire ward a couple months ago declaring that the Black Lives Matter movement as a whole was anti-family and not compatible with the Church.

This message, from Oaks, worded as it is, will have more impact than many might understand.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:39:52 pm »
Holy carp, Taalcon. That's some next level BS. (To be clear, equating BLM with Korihor and radical anti-Church and anti-family.)

I've been told that BLM is inherently racist. Nope. The amount of propoganda the world over is mind boggling. Social media allows distortions and lies to propogate all the easier.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »
I have long been engaged in equal rights for blacks (and others with less than full access to the opportunities I have).  I do not use "Black Lives Matter" because it is incorporated and part of a leftist and perhaps marxist organization whose aim is to use the must-be-corrected racial issues to undermine many of the other values and goals of our societies.   When I write it I write "black lives matter"   

I was glad that President Oaks specifically acknowledged that challenging and removing racism in all its insidious forms is not about eliminating police or suggesting that anyone who doesn't think reparations are useful for addressing needs to be cancelled. 

I do think that removing Abraham Smoot's name from the bYU building is not in the same category as trashing Washington.   He didn't just own slaves in Utah:  he was there, along with his employee, Zebedee Coltrin, when the first black man Elijah Abel was ordained to the priesthood by direction of Joseph Smith, and when church leaders investigated giving the priesthood to all, Smoot and Coltrin denied that Joseph Smith had done any such thing.   THAT is what means his name should go.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Hobbes

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 07:13:57 pm »
"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny." - The Family: A Proclamation to the World.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." - The Declaration of Independence.

We need to be reminded that Black lives matter because some who call themselves Christians and Americans seem to have forgotten these twin truths. Some conveniently ignore them. Some try to explain them away. Some deliberately oppose them. Many are hypocrites, claiming that they are not racist when their actions prove otherwise.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, dyany, Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:42 pm »
It was disappointing to read the comments on the 'Trib about Oaks' address. Many were along the lines of "Too little too late," and "Why didn't you take this opportunity to condemn the church's racism," and "It's politically motivated," and "You were careful to couch it in non-committal language," etc. I imagine that if he said it in exactly the way they wanted, they would still find fault: "You don't really understand because you're on old white guy." No matter how far I lower the bar of expectations, some people can still limbo right under it.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 09:08:17 pm »
That's what you get for reading the comments

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 10:52:37 pm »
I guess I was hoping to find others who felt like I did, who rejoiced in the very clear articulation of Christ's teaching in the context of a divisive and volatile issue. I saw faith and hope and charity--I saw LIGHT--in Pres. Oaks' address. Light that we so desperately need! And here is an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, sharing light with us! To be fair, there were a few others who saw it and said so. Most, however, didn't see past their allegiance to a dark agenda.

The following users thanked this post: Jen

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 12:13:18 am »
I have found that most news story commenters are attention seeking trolls and not representative of the public at large. 

Were Pres. Oaks comments perfect? No, but no one, save Jesus, can claim to have the perfect words all the time.  Was his speach well reasoned, compassionate and good?  Yes!

Again, I see the brethren desperately trying to course correct some of the worst elements of USA mormon culture.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 09:23:27 am »
Exactly. I don't agree with his approach at taking all scriptural explanations at face value, and appearing to say that if the Church or historical Israel had a practice, then God must have commanded it, and if God did it it cannot by definition be problematic - that only explanations of such acts can be under suspicion of being faulty, but not the acts themselves.

I think I understand why he takes that position. I just don't agree with it.

But thing is, that position isn't new.

What IS new is the explicit and detailed calling out of Racism that includes and acknowledges specific examples of current systemic and historical racism, as well as seeking to actively stop the DE-LEGIMITIZING of the entirety of a present powerful anti-racism movement solely because some bad actors have hijacked it.

I might be a little frustrated that some of the old tropes I personally do not like or agree with were reenforced and remained the same as they had been, but at the same time I can absolutely acknowledge and rejoice that some very important forward movement that is potentially transformational DID happen.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:54:47 am by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

* Recent Topics

* Calendar

December 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5]
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.