Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Sad news here.  (Read 522 times)

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
Sad news here.
« on: October 19, 2020, 05:16:33 pm »
 My beloved Lucy, a 3 pound Yorkie cross that I adopted from the pound, died about a month ago. It has taken me this long to stop certain routines I had gotten used to doing such as making her a hot breakfast or getting  a little extra food for lunch and supper so I could share it with her.
    Members of my ward have sent condolences because they were used to me taking Lucy to activities, dances and such at the church because she was so well trained.  Lucy loved to have the little nursery kids and Sunbeams take her for walks when I took her to the chapel, and when she was a little too tired from the attention, she would sit under my chair and just watch the goings on.

I have never had a pet of my own in my life. All the dogs and cats  we had on the farm growing up adored my siblings or one or the other parent. The animals of my first marriage belonged to the kids or my  spouse. The dogs we had in Hick's and mine marriage belonged to my youngest son and my husband. When Lucy came into my household she  was mine, all mine. I adored her and dressed her up in super cute clothes, took her on car rides and camping. She had her own set of luggage as well as a good size drawer in our dresser. In return I never went to the bathroom alone, always had someone to share my meals with, made sure the mid morning nap was taken (with all of her 3 pounds taking up the bulk of the queen sized bed), had an afternoon cuddle time daily as well as walks twice a day. I rescued her from a pound, and she rescued me from myself.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
Re: Sad news here.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 08:08:31 am »
I still mourn our dogs.  May her memory be a blessing.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper, Redd

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:56:06 am »
Because of my children's allergies, we will never have pets at my house. I grew up in an agricultural community. I had a horse, a dog, several cats, and chickens. I worked on our neighbor's dairy. Animals are just...animals. They're not members of the family. Why does everyone make such a big deal over them? 

That all changed after i got married. My wife's parents had a poodle. When it died, I saw the very real sadness and loss they experienced. After a while, they got a Shitsu. They adore their "Sophie" and she is their constant companion. She's nearing the end of her life, and again I see the concern and sadness building.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although I've never experienced it, I understand that when you have loved and cared for a pet, when you have shared so many years of your life together, and when that companionship is gone, it's heartbreaking.

Maybe after my kids have moved out, I'll get a big black Labrador, like I had when I was growing up.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Redd

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 12:09:09 pm »
After Button and Woeffie were buried out back, even though they were the children's boon companions, it was me that really mourned for years. After all, those animals spent most of the day hanging out with me. They both had cancer, it fell to me to make special diets, and all in a vain attempt to extend their lives for the children's  sake.  It was me who called the doctor to come to the house and put them down at home. It was me who sewed their shrouds.
It took some years to heal.  I never wanted to deal with that goodbye again.  One day Himself and I saw a matched set of blue great Danes.  We looked at them and each other with joy.  In that moment my dream of having a blue Dane named Magillicuddy was born. 
Recent injuries make it unwise to walk a leashed big animal.  One lunge would permanently ruin my shoulder.
But since sequestering is never ending here, I need a buddy to get me out of the house.  So we are thinking of an Airedale.  Ynfortunately, all the kennels are empty because everyone wants a companion....
I still miss our doggies.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper, Redd

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:57:23 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about Lucy, Redd. You gave her a very fine tribute fitting for a good friend & family member.

Thanks to others for the reminiscences of your critters. I don't have RW pets because of allergies, but I love animals, & I enjoy neighbors' pets or ones I see walking around in the park, with the knowledge that I have to wash my hands before touching my face or eating. When I was a little kid, my parents kept threatening that if I kept befriending strange animals, someday a dog or cat would bite me, but I'm still waiting,  ;)

We have critters at the Cabin & they always welcome others, whether RW, virtual, or spirit animals. When Lucy is ready, she can come & join Punkin, Dreyfuss, Ivie, & all the others.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Redd

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 12:05:26 pm »
I'm very sorry for your loss. Those pets do work their way into our hearts and become family.

We lost our 12-year-old golden retriever early this year. She was the dog my kids knew since they were tiny. She was my companion when everyone else was at school and work. She got one of my daughters with anxiety issues through a really hard period in her life. We were devastated to lose her.

I never wanted another dog, but a couple of months ago my kids started asking. Long story short, we found a sweet little guy that had been dumped in the country and adopted him from the rescue that was taking care of him. He's been what we needed and didn't even know it.

I really think these pets are a gift, to make a hard world a little softer around the edges. I'm sorry it was time for yours to go. It's so hard that they can't be with us longer.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Roper, Sparky

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 11:55:29 pm »
I’m sorry for your loss of Lucy.  We give our whole hearts to these little guys and when they leave, we have a hole in our heart. Grief doesn’t recognize species.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

* Calendar

December 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5]
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Backyard Chickens by LMAshton