Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Deal is Done  (Read 338 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
The Deal is Done
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:05:53 am »
Thank you, President Trump. You promised that if conservative Americans voted for you, you would put conservative judges on the Supreme Court. Many Americans held their noses and voted for you. You made good on your promise. The deal is done.

Now, it's time to elect a leader who can collaborate with other world leaders to end a global pandemic. That's not your deal. It's time to elect a leader who can work with other elected leaders in congress to recover from economic devastation. That's not your deal. It's time to make America great again in working with our allies to ensure security. That's definitely not your deal. Your deal now is to figure out how to pay the personal creditors you've avoided for four years.

Thank you, Mr. President. The deal is done. Good luck.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
Re: The Deal is Done
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:14:23 pm »
Let me get this straight, Roper.  The only reason you have supported Trump this whole time was to pack the courts with ideologues?

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 03:39:39 pm »
I have never supported Trump. I have believed he was Bad For America since his announcement he was running for office. There are a lot of people, however, who claim they support Trump because of his promise to get conservatives on the bench. Mission accomplished. Time to elect someone who can better deal with our current challenges and not alienate everyone else in the world besides Russia.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

JLM

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 10:18:25 pm »

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 11:52:51 pm »
I have never supported packing the Supreme Court with a super-majority of extremists on either the left or right, because I don’t believe it is the best thing for America to have a 2/3 majority of extremists on either side on the highest court that can rule by force of numbers. The Supreme Court is the final interpreter of our national laws, & interpretations should be done by reasoned discourse among nine members, not six of them simply bulldozing decisions over the other three.

Whether the Potus who packs the court is an extreme right wing-nut or an extreme left moon-bat, it is not good government. It does not serve the Founders’ aim of an independent judiciary as part of a government based on separate branches. It is even worse when the Potus is someone who never served one minute as a Senator, cabinet member, governor, mayor, dog catcher, diplomat, military service member, civil servant, attorney, or in any occupation requiring any knowledge of law or any commitment to public service & continually shows a lack of both; & makes all appointments with only his personal agenda in mind & even circumvents the Senate confirmation process when it suits his wishes.

The Founders wrote the separate branches into law because we had already lived under an absolute monarchy. They were determined America should never again have kings, queens, or emperors. And now here we are, with the first Potus in a long time with royal aspirations (look at his “jokes” about staying in office beyond two terms, & all the nepotism & the signs that he hopes to establish a dynasty to keep his family on the throne in perpetuity). We elect the executive & legislative branches, but it serves democracy the best when we have a judiciary free of political influence as much as possible. That is best achieved if all presidents of any party do their best to keep a reasonable balance of judicial philosophies among the members of the court by appointing capable judges who believe in the Constitution & represent a variety of positions.

The other bad consequence is that chickens eventually come home to roost. Senators who participated in the Garland, Kavanaugh, & Gorsuch proceedings have long memories, & some Democrats might be looking to exact retribution on Republicans. Any reasonable person can imagine them introducing legislation to enlarge the court so a Dem Potus could appoint a few justices. Biden has suggested he does not favor court packing, but what if the Dems end up with enough seats in Congress to pass it, & enough to override a Biden veto? The GOP might be shooting its own foot off. As bad as an extended feud over the size of the Supreme Court would be for our country, they couldn’t complain that they never saw the bullet.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 12:32:06 am »
You seem to assume Trump voters are intelligent and rational. 

https://youtu.be/vNfpCHaXbls 

https://youtu.be/c8IrzMyIhk0 

https://youtu.be/FclXh2-ZJUg

Yes. I try to assume people are intelligent and rational until proven otherwise.

As for the videos: Trying to make other people look stupid for entertainment value--that tells me a lot more about the people doing the ridiculing, and about the people who find it humorous, than it does about the subjects of the mockery.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 12:48:22 am »
That is best achieved if all presidents of any party do their best to keep a reasonable balance of judicial philosophies among the members of the court by appointing capable judges who believe in the Constitution & represent a variety of positions.
It's interesting that the vast majority of SCOTUS decisions are unanimous, or 8-1 or 7-2. Historically, 5/4 splits are pretty rare. But, those are the cases which get the most media attention, because controversy makes for good news. All of the doomsday predictions over Judge Barrett are baseless. When the court had a liberal majority, America still survived, despite all the doomsday predictions from the other side.

The following users thanked this post: mirkwood

JLM

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 08:43:05 am »
Oh, the videos aren't meant to be "entertaining", except in a head shaking, face palming kind of way.  They are more about scientific evidence.  It just never ceases to astound me  how deep some people are in the Dunning-Kruger curve. 

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 11:56:02 am »
Well, I wouldn't exactly call them "scientific." I remember a lot videos going around about all the "stupid" people who supported Obama--saying things like how he was going to buy them a new house, etc. Maybe Dunning-Kruger really is lower among Democrats, but a lot of Democrats sure like to hang out in the Great and Spacious building.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

JLM

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 10:00:45 pm »
 :) :) :)  Oh, yes.  I'm pretty sure we can all agree there is plenty of stupid to go around. 

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 03:52:06 am »
The other bad consequence is that chickens eventually come home to roost. Senators who participated in the Garland, Kavanaugh, & Gorsuch proceedings have long memories, & some Democrats might be looking to exact retribution on Republicans. Any reasonable person can imagine them introducing legislation to enlarge the court so a Dem Potus could appoint a few justices. Biden has suggested he does not favor court packing, but what if the Dems end up with enough seats in Congress to pass it, & enough to override a Biden veto? The GOP might be shooting its own foot off. As bad as an extended feud over the size of the Supreme Court would be for our country, they couldn’t complain that they never saw the bullet.

And here it is, starting already. Whatever the eventual outcome of any Dem attempt to pack the court in retaliation at the GOP, the real loser is the judicial system which both parties are using as political tools.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-hint-at-consequences-as-gop-moves-to-confirm-amy-coney-barrett/ar-BB1a4kL4?ocid=msedgntp

* Calendar

October 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: White Privilege by Jason
[October 29, 2020, 11:07:01 pm]