Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Stockdale Paradox  (Read 210 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
The Stockdale Paradox
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:34:50 am »
There's a fascinating article in Forbes about James Stockdale, the lessons he learned about leadership while he was a POW, and how those lessons apply to our current situation.

“I lived on a day-to-day basis. … [M]ost guys thought it was really better for everybody to be an optimist. I wasn't naturally that way; I knew too much about the politics of Asia when I got shot down. I think there was a lot of damage done by optimists; other writers from other wars share that opinion. The problem is, some people believe what professional optimists are passing out and come unglued when their predictions don't work out.”

“You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” — Admiral James Stockdale.

“In general, resilient people have intensely negative reactions to trauma,” writes Emily Esfahani Smith. “They experience despair and stress, and acknowledge the horror of what’s happening. But even in the darkest of places, they see glimmers of light, and this ultimately sustains them.”

You can read the entire article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2020/10/05/what-the-stockdale-paradox-tells-us-about-crisis-leadership/#7f7224e41b9f
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: The Stockdale Paradox
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 12:09:59 pm »
That reminds me of this article I had saved a few months back https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113758696&fbclid=IwAR1_9_i_jOT4acZEWGyclcE7CZDEU7Q_phCP8LI0XX9MaJinnluZRorL-kE

Working in mental health, I have to say that one of the most destructive things I've seen -- behind abuse and alcohol -- is the pressure to be 'happy' or 'positive.' People who are struggling then feel that their struggles, their sadness, their grief, their seeing things how they are, is somehow sinful, and either suppress (really unhealthy) or spiral into feelings of shame, or both.

Even Jesus wept. Therefore, by the definition that he is PERFECT, it is NOT. A. SIN.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 12:42:43 pm »
Thank you for the link, Dyany. I really like the following quote:

"In the Declaration of Independence, the founding fathers pledged to one another "our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." They knew that they had no certainty of winning a war for independence and that they were taking a mortal risk. Just the act of signing the declaration made them all traitors to the crown, and treason was a crime punishable by execution. Many of them did go on to lose their lives, loved ones, and fortunes in the war. The point is, they fought anyway. There is a vast difference between positive thinking and existential courage."

I also believe there's a vast difference between positive thinking and "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

I also believe there's a vast difference between the abundance of magical thinking seen during this pandemic and hope grounded in reality.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:18:47 pm by Roper »
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 03:44:34 pm »
This. (Arrow pointing up.) This is why I still come to Nauvoo. I read something totally new that I've never thought of before, or in a context that is nee, and it's in the company of those who believe in the gospel. So I now have something to contemplate that will possibly make me a better person. That was the one thing I absolutely loved about attending BYU. It has its faults, but the attempt to teach and learn new things within a group of believers was most incredible to me. Here at Nauvoo is just about the only place I can still find this.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Roper

* Calendar

October 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: White Privilege by Jason