Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Americana  (Read 427 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Americana
« on: October 03, 2020, 12:47:06 am »
The air had that fall crispness in it. The moon was full. I went with my family to the High School football game. We sat on the bleachers and shared a big blanket. Joshua, who is a Junior this year, plays saxophone in the Pep Band and snare drum in the Marching Band. He had a busy night. We cheered when our team scored. I yelled at the ref when he called pass interference on an obviously clean defense. We stomped our feet when our team was on D to help them "dig in." I explained the concept of first downs to my 8th grade daughter. We won 26 to 12. On the way home, we got hot salty French fries and Oreo milkshakes. It was a perfect night in small town America.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Jen, Curelom, dyany, mirkwood, Sparky, Redd

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Americana
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 01:58:37 am »
We had a similar evening with our sweet German exchange student a year ago. All of it delighted her so much that we enjoyed it all the more.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Roper, Sparky

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 05:17:31 pm »
Do any of you know the proper flag folding of your state flag?  I have been asking this question for years and received answers ranging from "like a sheet" to "why bother?"  I have a friend who lives in Germany with her American husband and bi-citizen children (is bi-citizen a word???  or is it duel national?) who said that Americans are the only people on earth that display the national flag on a regular basis and occasionally the state flag as well.Apparently we citizens of the United States are a bit odd when it comes to our flag. Lets face it, we love it and treat it with great respect or we hate it and burn it crying it is free speech.

The question rose up in conversation again this last Sunday morning as Hick and I were taking the neighbor boy to the church early so his violin could become accustomed to the chapel (music people help me out here please...). We were listening to classical music and the DJ said the conductor was from Akron, Ohio. This led us to discuss the odd shape of the Ohio state flag and wondering how on earth to fold it, then on to how to fold a rectangular state flag etc.

https://images.app.goo.gl/NFWL5mveYs1qSg6R6

I found this YouTube  video showing two wildlife officers folding the North Carolina flag.  I have seen the New Mexico flag folded into a triangle after it was placed in a ceremonial display box, but in all reality, i have not ever seen the state flag folded for overnight storage.

As far as folding the Ohio state flag goes?   It has a system all of its own ;D

Apparently the idea of folding a flag into a triangle is purely American.  Go figure 8)

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:07:06 am »
The California flag is folded the same way as the U.S. flag. It has a grizzly bear in the middle, with "California Republic" near the bottom with a red stripe below it. The way it's folded, the bear is inside, then the red stripe is on top during the folding. The finished triangle has CAL showing on the outside.

I've done U.S. flag folding many times & didn't think to count, but I learned that the finished triangle has 13 folded edges & 13 small triangles, symbolizing the 13 colonies that originally won independence from Great Britain.

I looked up how the Union Jack is folded. It isn't. It starts with two lengthwise folds like with the U.S. flag, the leading end is folded about 1/3 of the way, then the flag is rolled from the folded edge to the halyard edge, tied & stored in a tube. The Canadian flag is done differently yet, with 2 lengthwise folds, 3 folds up to form quarters, & a final one so it ends up in a small rectangle.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Redd

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 02:40:55 pm »
     Lets face it, we love it and treat it with great respect or we hate it and burn it crying it is free speech.

That is quite an extreme dichotomy.  Personally, I find US flag worship to be a form of idolatry, but I also approve the symbolism behind how we treat the flag as a reminder of the care we need to put in to preserve our republic.  I also fully respect and will gladly defend others' constitutionaly protected right of buring the flag as a form of free speach

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Redd

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 12:09:56 pm »
(music people help me out here please...)

The instrument needed to adjust to the temperature and humidity of the building to hold its tune and sound the best. :)

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 01:08:33 pm »
(music people help me out here please...)

The instrument needed to adjust to the temperature and humidity of the building to hold its tune and sound the best. :)

I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to think of which musical instruments are most sensitive to real-time temperature & humidity in a building?

While I'm not a musician, my guess would be that instruments with more parts made of organic material would be most sensitive. Those made with lots of wood, animal products, maybe fabrics of plant origin. So, guitars, violins or other string instruments made of wood. What are the strings made of these days? Are bagpipe air chambers (don't know the correct name) made of leather? Instruments with mostly or entirely metal content would be more stable.

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 02:44:18 pm »
Jen is right. Humidity and temperature make things expand and contract, and different elements (wood, metal, plastic) expand and contract at different rates, which will throw most instruments out of tune. Not to mention that the travel to the chapel will involve vibrations that could minutely affect the tuning as well. It's just a good idea, especially for exactness, to have an instrument there and played for a bit (especially if it's a wind or brass, as the human breath will warm it up also) to maximize how good it sounds.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »
I am a trained concert harpist.  A harp is a right royalPITA to keep in tune.  First when shipped in wait until harp warms or cools. TUNE.  then as one practices or warms up. TUNE. then as audience arrives and air changesTune. Then during performance prau a string does not break or the turn up or down the heat.
Yup.  Amazing wonderful instrument but with a temprament.  All stringed instruments have this tendency. A harp has 60 plus strings and yes they all need tuning.

My dad used to listen to the strings react to middle of the night thunderstorms.

Heaven forbid a harpist misplaces her tuning key

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky, Redd

* Calendar

October 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts