Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: New returning to church update (sorry if we're talking about this elsewhere)  (Read 233 times)

TurkeyLurker

So, it sounds like we can go back to regular-ish meeting schedules, depending upon location.

I doubt that our stake will.  We're rural, with near-zero cases.  Probably could have met the whole time.  But we're in an area with Salt lake, and our area presidency has totally drunk the Covid Koolaid.  So I don't see any changes until Salt lake and Provo get their acts together.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/safely-increasing-activity-during-covid-19

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
... our area presidency has totally drunk the Covid Koolaid.  So I don't see any changes until Salt lake and Provo get their acts together.

Are you sure that's how you want to characterize church leadership and inspiration?

All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Iggy, Patty Rain

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
I see us using masks for quite some time to come so I found a very lovely white mask with lace embellishments for the temple (not that the Abq temple is ready for me yet, but I am ready for it...I suppose that is what is more important).

I am torn on the use of masks, their effectiveness etc. My opinion, not medical in any way shape or form mind you, is that I love to dance with Hick and I am not done dancing with him, So I will wear a mask in public (I actually take two out with me so i can replace the one I am wearing when it becomes too moist).

I keep several masks available for convenience. I have 6 in my  SUV so Hick and I are covered (and any one who is with us) is covered, 4 in my office drawer so I always have a fresh one, one in my purse in case I go someplace with a friend, and some stylish ones at home to mix and match with my more dressy clothes (I refuse to dress up at the house HOWEVER I do like to look presentable if I have a doctor appointment, we decide to go to the chapel for services etc.

I will admit that I am torn between meetings at the chapel and meetings in my neighborhood. I would love to see all of my friends in person again and feel the love and fellowship, but our little cottage meeting group here is very special and intimate. We have gotten to know each other in a way that we would not have been able to to otherwise. 

The following users thanked this post: Roper

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
... our area presidency has totally drunk the Covid Koolaid.  So I don't see any changes until Salt lake and Provo get their acts together.

Are you sure that's how you want to characterize church leadership and inspiration?

It says far more about TL than it does about the Church leadership.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

TurkeyLurker

It says far more about TL than it does about the Church leadership.

I find your attitude toward me since I joined this forum to be troubling, especially given that you are a moderator.  You have responded to me negatively 100 percent of the time.

I humbly request that you refrain from bullying me in the future.  Please review this part of the charter and search your feelings about whether or not you have complied:

"We avoid the spirit of contention. If we think that another’s ideas are contrary to the gospel, we do not strive to prevail in a debate or to argue that person into silence or submission. We set forth our own understanding with patience and kindness. As disciples of Christ, we are merciful to each other and assume that members speak and act with the best of motives."

TurkeyLurker

Yeah, my bad.  I have this bad habit of assuming everyone can read my mind.

The area presidency seems to react as if the entire area is similar to the Salt Lake, Ogden, Provo area in terms of covid risk.  The idea of even rural areas with like 5 cases wearing masks 100 percent of the time was a complete non-starter out here.

TurkeyLurker

I see us using masks for quite some time to come so I found a very lovely white mask with lace embellishments for the temple (not that the Abq temple is ready for me yet, but I am ready for it...I suppose that is what is more important).

I was thinking the same way.  When I saw these lovely white masks (not made in China) in Walmart, I thought :  "I should get those for the temple, in case we move to the next phase."

TurkeyLurker

FWIW, You are also skirting the edge of bullying that Dyany has fallen into.  I humbly request that you review the charter section I cited with her.

I have attempted to be nothing but pleasant with you.

That one time that I jokingly said you were pearl-clutching was a sad attempt at levity which you let me know that you did not appreciate.  So I stopped attempting to joke with you entirely, because, clearly I am not very good at it.

I humbly request that you and Dyany review the charter and attempt to comply better in your responses to me.

Thank you so much.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Turkeylurker, just to be absolutely clear, someone disagreeing with you or calling you out for your inflammatory comments is not bullying.

You talk about how they, Roper and Dyany, should re-read the charter. From where I’m sitting, it seems to me that this is something you need to do, and you need to think about how to apply it to your actions here.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Iggy, Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Definition of bullying: Bullying is the use of force, coercion, or threat, to abuse, aggressively dominate or intimidate.

TurkeyLurker, please indicate where exactly you were being bullied.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: New returning to church update (sorry if we're talking about this elsewhere)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 11:34:23 pm »
TurkeyLurker, I get your point though it could have been worded more nicely.

It has been frustrating here too that all the countries in Europe area has been slumped together. We could have had youth camps this summer - the Lutheran church had theirs and many other kids/ youth camps were held - but the church had instructions of an absolute no.

It is frusrating that areal differences are not always taken into consideration.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Patty Rain

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: New returning to church update (sorry if we're talking about this elsewhere)
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 12:16:14 am »
While “bullying “ isn’t a word I’d choose, I think the welcome for TurkeLurker has been on the hostile side. I’m pretty sure it is because his political views don’t agree with the majority here. His comment about ‘koolaid’ is no worse than comments about BY or other general authorities disagreed with. 
I do know that if this were a ward and I got that kind of treatment in church, I’d probably not come back.  In fact, I just met someone that had experienced being ‘outcast’ growing up in SLC and still as an adult here in St George. It hurt my heart because we shouldn’t be that way. With all we know, we should error on the side of kindness.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Patty Rain

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 01:10:28 am »
I generally do not like the drink the Kool-Aid analogy, but I found that the response was to imply apostasy within the context of Latter-day Saint culture followed up by questioning his character and motivations.

A less hostile response might have been to find out what he might have meant by rural areas having to follow the same rules as urban Salt Lake City and Provo, and if there might be some reasonable differences that could have occurred.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 05:59:41 pm »
TurkeyLurker, in response to my initial post on this thread, you said,
Yeah, my bad.  I have this bad habit of assuming everyone can read my mind.
Two posts later, with nothing from me in-between, you said,
FWIW, You are also skirting the edge of bullying that Dyany has fallen into.
I honestly don't know how to respond, here.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 07:14:31 pm »
While “bullying “ isn’t a word I’d choose, I think the welcome for TurkeLurker has been on the hostile side. I’m pretty sure it is because his political views don’t agree with the majority here. His comment about ‘koolaid’ is no worse than comments about BY or other general authorities disagreed with. 
I do know that if this were a ward and I got that kind of treatment in church, I’d probably not come back.  In fact, I just met someone that had experienced being ‘outcast’ growing up in SLC and still as an adult here in St George. It hurt my heart because we shouldn’t be that way. With all we know, we should error on the side of kindness.
Perhaps you're right, Palmon. I have always been thankful for another chance when I have felt misunderstood. I've created another section right under introductions for members who have been away for a while.

TurkeyLurker, if you're still here and reading, would you please post a reply in the Welcome Back section?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:34:55 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

* Recent Topics

topic Is Christianity liberal or conservative?
[Politics]
JLM
Today at 12:00:34 am
topic Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed
[Current Events & News]
JLM
September 21, 2020, 10:22:18 pm
topic Cabin 2.0
[General Discussion]
Curelom
September 21, 2020, 08:46:32 pm
topic returning to meetings in the chapel.
[Latter-day Saint Life]
pnr
September 21, 2020, 06:22:16 pm
topic MOVED: Is Christianity liberal or conservative?
[Doctrines & Scholarship]
Roper
September 20, 2020, 08:20:49 pm
topic Rambling by Iggy - book 2
[Member News]
Iggy
September 20, 2020, 01:27:27 pm
topic Anyone in Sally's path?
[Member News]
Jana at Jade House
September 20, 2020, 01:16:48 pm
topic Hick got a job!!!
[Member News]
Jana at Jade House
September 20, 2020, 01:16:09 pm
topic Nottoc, formerly known as FlyByNight
[Welcome Back!]
Nottoc
September 19, 2020, 09:15:02 pm
topic The 25th anniversary of...
[Member News]
Curelom
September 18, 2020, 10:27:40 pm
topic TurkeyLurker, welcome back
[Welcome Back!]
Curelom
September 18, 2020, 05:19:19 pm
topic California is on fire again 🙁
[Member News]
Curelom
September 18, 2020, 05:16:59 pm
topic Distance Learning
[Covid-19]
Roper
September 17, 2020, 07:17:14 pm
topic COVID-19
[Covid-19]
Sparky
September 17, 2020, 04:24:02 am
topic New returning to church update (sorry if we're talking about this elsewhere)
[Latter-day Saint Life]
Roper
September 14, 2020, 07:14:31 pm

* Calendar

September 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

• - Holidays -