Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Feel-Good Thread  (Read 6488 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: The Feel-Good Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:26 pm »
People are still going the extra mile to help flooded or stranded people in Beaumont. The president of the Hovercraft Co. brought two of his vehicles from Illinois to help. The Coca-Cola Co. has a warehouse & told the Beaumont FD the building was full of bottled water & beverages but flood waters prevented most vehicles from approaching it. The Hovercraft owner & a firefighter maneuvered up to the marooned warehouse, broke in, & loaded water onto the Hovercraft to take to evacuees.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/coca-cola-lets-men-steal-water-in-flooded-texas-city/ar-AArgs8p?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

And a couple whose wedding was postponed by the storm had planned a dinner for their family & friends, & they had the food sent to evacuees & helped prepare the meals

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/hundreds-of-people-displaced-by-hurricane-harvey-fed-after-couple-postpones-wedding/ar-AArghsp?li=AAk6ORB&ocid=spartanntp
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:05:23 pm by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: dyany

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2017, 12:35:30 pm »
BLT for breakfast, most of my patients cancelled their appointments this week, the days are starting to get shorter & cooler, and I have a 4 layer fudge cake in the kitchen. 

So often, it's the little things. :)

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Sparky

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2017, 12:30:55 am »
Indeed, the little things can be the real feel-good things! 8)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2017, 02:09:57 am »
Indeed, the little things can be the real feel-good things! 8)
But there are times when the big things are needed - and this immigrant to America is doing big things for folks in dire need. [looking for applause graemlin]

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/meet-the-billionaire-immigrant-who-just-made-one-of-the-largest-donations-to-hurricane-harvey-relief/ar-AArScf3?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2017, 08:49:28 pm »
When I took my fifth graders outside for recess today, one of the girls shivered and said, "I feel really cold." The girl standing right next to her said, "I feel really amazing. It's because I have a hoodie." What a great outlook on a cloudy and windy day.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, palmetto_gal

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2017, 11:37:56 pm »
As recent hurricanes approached, animal shelters had to be ready to take local pets that got separated from their people, who would want to find their friends later when things calmed down. That meant the shelters had to move out animals already there. Shelters in other states offered to take in the “refugees” & FedEx & other companies donated planes & pilots to fly them from the hurricane areas. They weren’t taking pets belonging to Texas or Florida storm evacuees, but ones already awaiting new homes, which now would be in other states.

One of the lessons of H. Katrina in 2005 was that people & their pets need each other, & many victims refused to evacuate without their pets while others fled & never saw their critters again. Millions of people saw or read about the boy of maybe 8 who begged to take his dog Snowball on the evacuee bus from the New Orleans Superdome. Rescuers made him leave the dog, & the kid was inconsolable & cried so hard that he threw up. The forced separation of people from pets, who in some cases were a person’s family or best friend, prompted laws requiring disaster planning to include pets.

In this story, the Miami Heat & Golden State Warriors pro basketball teams in Miami & the Bay Area provided sendoff & reception committees for critters leaving Florida for new homes in California.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Warriors-irma-hurricane-dogs-cats-zaza-12201436.php#photo-14119402

Here’s another story about folks doing a good deed. An elderly woman in Petaluma (a medium size town about an hour north of San Francisco) accidentally activated her emergency med-alert device. The FD was sent out, found that she was fine & had set off the signal by mistake. She said her son was coming to cook for her, so the firefighters made her dinner. (Petaluma is a fairly quiet place, so they probably counted on not getting another emergency call – in San Francisco or San Jose or Oakland, there’s no way they could have done this).

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Petaluma-first-responders-whip-up-dinner-for-12201232.php

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

* Top Posters

Curelom
1010 Posts
Roper Roper
838 Posts
dyany dyany
695 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
571 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts