Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Pickles and uncovered food smell  (Read 394 times)

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Pickles and uncovered food smell
« on: August 27, 2020, 04:44:25 am »
I am helping someone in need of a temporary home by allowing the person to stay in my place for several months. In the middle of this pandemic, this is not what I would choose but am trying.

This friend has huge < 32 oz> pickle jars..they are smelling the fridge up. Also this person has some uncovered food like corn. I had asked that food be covered but some is inconsistent.

I suppose I need to get some containers for them

I will get backing soda to help absorb but are there other remedies?

Any other ideas to help manage. This pickle smell has gone to my refillable water bottle.
I am hypersensitive to odors and not sure how to manage.

Fridge was thoroughly cleaned before she came here, I typically do not store a lot of food. Fridge and freezer component  has not been working super well , it gets buy < 30 years old>  so that could be some of the issue.
I had planned to get a new fridge in the next few weeks but honestly with that food smell, I don't want to get a new fridge and have the picklensmsll transfer there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pickles and uncovered food smell
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:59:00 am »
If you're planning to get a new fridge soon anyway, could you get a new fridge and only you use it and the roomie can use only the old fridge? That would prevent smells and then it wouldn't matter if they covered their food or not.

I'm hypersensitive to some odors, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Also, is it really your responsibility to provide them with containers? Can't they do that? It is for their food, after all.

The following users thanked this post: nitasmile

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 02:06:06 pm »
Give the guest a roll of plastic wrap & explain what it's for.  ::)

Honestly, what is the matter with some people? If someone was good enough to give me a roof in the middle of a pandemic, I would be breaking my neck to be the most gracious, least irksome guest possible. I'd give them some money for rent & utilities, stay out of their hair as much as I could, & keep my food in Tupperware containers. You can tell them I said so.

You should hope this person doesn't like sardines, tuna salad, sauerkraut, deviled eggs, or even 1000-year eggs.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Sparky, nitasmile

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 04:23:11 pm »
What happened to the lids for those large pickle jars??? I am with keeping the old fridge like in the garage or back porch area and that is for the guest. New fridge is for you only.

By the way, did you get their occupancy in writing?  My little sister opened up her home to a family of five with the verbal understanding that they would be out after 3 months - when the house they were going to rent was fumigated, painted and new carpeting put in. The rental was done in time, but the family liked where they were [rent free and much bigger rooms] and refused to move. It took her a year of legal footwork to get them evicted!

The judge told her that if she wanted to be a good neighbor get a rental agreement the next time. List the amount they will pay in rent, utilities, etc. Purchase their own foods, which will include how to store the food and that they will need to use their own cookware [or not] etc.

Unless you had another witness to your verbal agreement, you really need to get it all down in writing. Forget being too nice as to not hurt their feelings, your feelings and comfort are being hurt by them.

It is up to them to supply their own leftover containers - NOT you. Just as it is their duty to clean up after themselves not only in the kitchen but the bathroom, their designated bedroom and the living areas. 

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 05:31:08 pm »
I like the idea of different fridges, but the only reasonable thing is to tell her that you are really sensitive to smells and she'll have to either get rid of them (or the smell and you get to decide if/when that has occurred) or find another place to live. 

And I second writing down and getting someone to witness your agreement about the arrangements.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 07:11:34 pm »
If you're planning to get a new fridge soon anyway, could you get a new fridge and only you use it and the roomie can use only the old fridge? That would prevent smells and then it wouldn't matter if they covered their food or not.

I'm hypersensitive to some odors, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Also, is it really your responsibility to provide them with containers? Can't they do that? It is for their food, after all.

Thx Laurie..she is super kind helpful etc. Actually had to not be helpful by cleaning etc as we are both high risk jobs, so I don't want her going in certain areas.

Due to space, I have a one car garage, I really don't want 2 fridges..i will have help to move it, so just want a one time job rather than 2.

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 07:17:18 pm »
Give the guest a roll of plastic wrap & explain what it's for.  ::)

Honestly, what is the matter with some people? If someone was good enough to give me a roof in the middle of a pandemic, I would be breaking my neck to be the most gracious, least irksome guest possible. I'd give them some money for rent & utilities, stay out of their hair as much as I could, & keep my food in Tupperware containers. You can tell them I said so.

You should hope this person doesn't like sardines, tuna salad, sauerkraut, deviled eggs, or even 1000-year eggs.

Thanks Curelom..she is kind and helpful, she had to leave her place suddenly as a relative of the previous roommate was getting released from prison.  So trying to help her..but this situation as well as my way increased worry about the virus, as now I have lost my comfort and privacy etc, is stressing me, her rent actually way less than market value but will need to better discuss expectations.  And as this was such a rushed move, I have not had time to properly give more kitchen space. I am a kind person but I feel like I am a b ***** person for being frustrated and not having more cheer about this.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 07:21:59 pm »
thanks Iggy, what a dreadful situation for your sister! No, not in writing, she is in my ward etc. My worry is she is supposed to go to another place, nice apt suite in someone's home by Jan but if that changes will be hard.

What happened to the lids for those large pickle jars??? I am with keeping the old fridge like in the garage or back porch area and that is for the guest. New fridge is for you only.

By the way, did you get their occupancy in writing?  My little sister opened up her home to a family of five with the verbal understanding that they would be out after 3 months - when the house they were going to rent was fumigated, painted and new carpeting put in. The rental was done in time, but the family liked where they were [rent free and much bigger rooms] and refused to move. It took her a year of legal footwork to get them evicted!

The judge told her that if she wanted to be a good neighbor get a rental agreement the next time. List the amount they will pay in rent, utilities, etc. Purchase their own foods, which will include how to store the food and that they will need to use their own cookware [or not] etc.

Unless you had another witness to your verbal agreement, you really need to get it all down in writing. Forget being too nice as to not hurt their feelings, your feelings and comfort are being hurt by them.

It is up to them to supply their own leftover containers - NOT you. Just as it is their duty to clean up after themselves not only in the kitchen but the bathroom, their designated bedroom and the living areas.

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 07:24:46 pm »
Thanks PNR, I appreciate your input.

I like the idea of different fridges, but the only reasonable thing is to tell her that you are really sensitive to smells and she'll have to either get rid of them (or the smell and you get to decide if/when that has occurred) or find another place to live. 

And I second writing down and getting someone to witness your agreement about the arrangements.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 10:12:59 pm »
Iím glad she is kind & helpful, If she were an obnoxious witch, you might end up murdering her. We donít want to see any of our dear Nauvoo family in that kind of trouble. As you said, this was a last-minute thing that you would not ordinarily favor. you both have risky jobs, & there is a pandemic out there that you donít want to invite in. Youíre being very generous. Most people are pretty stressed right now. Little things that might have just been a mild annoyance back in January, that might have been overlooked or tolerated, grow into gigantic obstacles. So donít worry that you are being b*****. You're just being a normal person.

Iggy brings up a point that Iíd forgotten. In some places, many towns in California for instance, a guest who stays beyond a certain interval (often 90 days) becomes a de facto tenant, even if there was no formal lease or contract. Whether or not you received a penny in rent, you become their landlord. And that gives them tenant rights, so you have to start official eviction proceedings if they wonít leave. So yes, get some legal advice & then have everything formalized.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 11:53:01 pm »
Add my voice to the choir preaching legal advice and getting things in writing.

And I'm going to add something: this is not the first time just in recent months you have found yourself feeling obligated (and getting screwed) because you need to be 'nice.'
Being nice is not always kind.
And very often isn't right.
Good fences make good neighbors, i.e., good boundaries always help (even if one side is screaming that they aren't).
I feel like learning how to set better, healthier boundaries would help you in SO many ways. I would recommend, if possible, seeking out a good professional counselor to help you learn this skill. It really will help.

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 04:29:16 pm »
Iggy brings up a point that Iíd forgotten. In some places, many towns in California for instance, a guest who stays beyond a certain interval (often 90 days) becomes a de facto tenant, even if there was no formal lease or contract. Whether or not you received a penny in rent, you become their landlord. And that gives them tenant rights, so you have to start official eviction proceedings if they wonít leave. So yes, get some legal advice & then have everything formalized.

In Oregon it is 2 days whether they pay rent or they wash dishes, fold your clothes or vacuum your carpets they are then considered tenants. 

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 09:53:47 pm »
Thanks Dyanny and Iggy. Danny, yes, I need better boundries and need to realize things are not my issie to fix. I was having counseling related to depression up until March but stopped as my job ended. I finally found a full time job, insurance doss not start until December but I will be on the look out for counseling. I had wanted assertiveness training and this fits in.
  I have talked to her, she said once she finishes the current food she has, she won't buy so much..it is just things like olives in a plastic bag that add to the smell...we are from different cultures, eat different things..sigh..

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 10:29:38 pm »
Finely chop up her pickles, then mix them with mayo and a little horseradish to form a relish (you can even add some of the pickle juice). Deep fry a bunch of battered fish or breaded fish sticks. Have a delicious meal. Leave the oil in an open pan on the stove. Guaranteed you won't smell the pickles anymore...

;D
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupťry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 08:54:09 pm »
Nita, what's the latest on the pickle dilemma, & the broader matter of having a possible sublet tenant at your home?

We hope you've been able to get it settled so everyone is happy, there are no stray pickle odors, & you're not in danger of violating your lease or becoming a landlord yourself with all the headaches that involves.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Sparky

* Calendar

October 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: White Privilege by Jason