Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: California is on fire again 🙁  (Read 283 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
California is on fire again 🙁
« on: August 25, 2020, 12:39:33 pm »
Northern California has been in the throes of a giant wildfire calamity for a bit over a week. I live about in the center of the 3 biggest ones, which are being called wildfire complexes. Multiple fires merged, or they were so close together in the same area, that it was easier for fire agencies to link them under one name rather than keep track of individual fires. There are scores of them, mostly caused by thunderstorms with dry lightning a week ago. I woke up during the first of the storms & it was spectacular, really a beautiful sight if you weren’t a Californian who worries every time you see dry lightning in a drought year.

The lightning started hundreds of fires, & because of where the storms were, many are not in “wildlands” like national forests or mountaintops. The three biggest are in populated areas with major towns & cities, & they are affecting tens of thousands of people. With these & other fires all over the state, over 200,000 people in California are evacuated from home at the moment. In a pandemic, it’s best if folks stay home & don’t hang out with lots of people, & the Bay Area has taken social distance pretty seriously. Now they are being forced to go out into a scary germ-filled world & maybe to evacuation centers, hotels, or other places where there are lots of people. When two disasters collide, it can cause a new unintended disaster.

The biggest of the 3 fires surrounding me is in parts of 7 counties south & east of San Jose, a major metropolis that is the “capital” of Silicon Valley. It has already become the second biggest wildfire in state history. The second is in Napa-Sonoma wine country which has had many wildfires in recent years. The third is “only” 125 square miles, in the Santa Cruz Mountains south of San Francisco & nearer the coast, closer to me than the other fires. It’s a normally cooler area, with fog, redwood forests, & mostly rural communities that are now threatened. Smoke & terrible air quality from all the fires has been sitting on top of most of the Bay Area & outlying counties for days, better or worse depending on the wind. It looks like fog, maybe a bit grubbier, & stinks just like you’re in the middle of the fire.

This morning where I live, it is very foggy & moisture is clinging to surfaces, & everyone who is seeing any fog is praying it hangs around all day to help dampen the fires. A couple weeks ago, before we had a monster heat wave that ended with those thunderstorms, we had weeks & weeks of endless dense fog & people were griping constantly about how dull & depressing it was to live in fog 15-16 hours every day. Now we can’t get enough of it. These are "droplets" that we don't want to go away.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: California is on fire again 🙁
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 06:23:47 pm »
The air quality here along the Wasatch front has been particularly bad because of all the smoke from California fires. As I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, one commentator said, "All of our kids are back in school. They can't spend all day inside because of Cornavirus. They can't go outside because the air quality is so bad. I think we should start billing California for all the respiratory health problems caused by these fires California is unwilling to control year after year."

I had three thoughts:

1) California doesn't control the weather or the wind currents.
2) California is pretty much bankrupt already.
3) Dude, you're an idiot.

Then I smiled and continued on to school where most of my day was spent working with kids who are having difficulties re-adjusting to school, and NOT with blaming California for poor air quality. Do people have nothing better to do with their time than to sit around manufacturing conflicts?

All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Iggy, Sparky, Redd

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:23:31 pm »
California was not bankrupt only a few months ago. There was actually a big budget surplus. Then along came COVID, with millions of people unemployed & huge new expenditures required to respond to the pandemic. Any state can decide not to spend money on health, education, small business assistance, or other necessary public items, & then it could end up on the bottom tier of the 50 states that always rank poorly on things like mortality, literacy, educational achievement, & other measures of the quality of life. I don't think I want California to sit on that tier with certain other states that shall remain unnamed. We'll have to tighten our belts & make up that new deficit over the next few years.

And hasn't everyone heard? California starts wildfires or lets them go wild just to torment Utah. We let them burn for days & wipe out neighborhoods, even entire towns, so the poor air quality will last longer & extend over more of those other states. The other day we heard that smoke was visible in Kansas, so it's working.  8)  I haven't kept up as closely with the other two fires as the one south of me, but this one alone has destroyed maybe 350 buildings & killed at least one person. But that's just the cost of driving the rest of the country crazy. They like to belittle California? We'll show them!  ;D And Roper will help us. 😁

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 12:02:41 am »
It isn't getting better, new wildfires have started even as those that have been burning for 3 weeks since the rash of thunderstorms are getting near containment.

A new one started Saturday night in a national forest east of Fresno & just took off - witnesses said that within minutes, a popular campground had its land escape cut off. The first responders directed people to shelter in place the best they could while an air rescue was initiated & the California National Guard sent helicopters & hauled over 200 people out. Some were injured, & Fresno-Yosemite International Airport was used as an evacuation & treatment area. This fire is 3 days old & has grown to over 200 square miles.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/California-wildfire-traps-campers-in-national-15546252.php

People have been asked for months to be selective about travel & group events because we are still observing COVID restrictions about large gatherings. We are also being asked to be extremely cautious with fire or to avoid it altogether because of the drought & hot weather. We are in a statewide heat wave that isn't helping the critical fire situation & this weekend the mercury reached 100 in San Francisco & 121 in Los Angeles County. The Bay Area is in its 21st consecutive "Spare the Air" day because all these fires have degraded our air so badly & we are asked to limit non-essential driving or fires. Some of us are really trying, but millions of people just had to get out there on the holiday weekend & jam the roads. pollute the air further, pack the parks & beaches, start fires, & leave tons of trash.

At Lake Tahoe, state parks personnel are collecting 7-10 tons of trash DAILY. If they don’t police the dumpsters & they overflow, they are bear magnets, & bears are already a big problem there. Sad to say, they are also dredging up trash dumped into the lake, which is one of California & Nevada’s treasures. And visitors are starting campfires, which are illegal in the Tahoe area in summer for very good reason, worrying local residents to death. Some people are so selfish, thoughtless, & narcissistic. This is why we can’t have nice things. If today’s people had to cope with what our ancestors went through in WWII, with gasoline, tire, shoe, & meat rationing, air raid drills, travel restrictions, etc., for the common good, could they? We are so disunited now, with no apparent common cause, goal, or objective that all Americans share, little concern about our neighbor, & even public health made into a political pawn. It’s the Book of Mormon cycle playing out right in front of us.

And you have GOT to see this to believe it. This is not far from a couple of our Southern California Nauvoodles, while the big August lightning fires were in central & northern California near me. There are over 500 firefighters assigned to this one - & how did it start?

https://www.sfgate.com/living/article/California-fire-sparked-by-device-to-reveal-15548258.php

This is what the “mother” of gender reveal events is saying after wildfires, a plane crash, & at least one death from gender reveals gone wrong.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/07/us/gender-reveal-parties-overview-trnd/index.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:14:12 am by Curelom »

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 07:47:44 am »
What ever happened to just waiting out the 9ish months to be surprised with a cute little bundle of joy? Now we have to have gender reveal parties, which according to Curelom and the news paper, have the potential of causing the ENTIRE state on fire. I don't think, in this day of political sexual correctness that gender reveal parties are even necessary. "yeah, my birth certificate said I was a girl and gender reveal parties had pink cakes but now I am having a gender reveal party of my own and I am coming out as a blue whale, so there!"

I keep thinking that California gets out of the fires one year and the next year pops up and finds places that have not been chared.

So have the So Cal Nauvoodles checked in as safe yet?

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 07:28:21 pm »
We have a couple of Nauvoodles in the Redlands temple district, not far from the Gender Reveal Fire. One is in the northern L.A. metro just south of Angeles National Forest where there is a major fire. Someone is in the Sacramento area, which isn't far from the North Complex, the one threatening the same areas where the Camp Fire killed 84 people in 2018.

I'm trying to recall if we have anyone in the San Joaquin Valley, near that monster fire east of Fresno (the one where the National Guard had to fly in & pluck 200 people out of a popular campground), or in the far north where they would be impacted by the huge August Complex & by the fires our neighbors in Oregon are experiencing.

A couple of us are in the Bay Area, which was most directly impacted by the fires in the Santa Cruz Mountains & in Santa Clara & Alameda counties (those were from the mid-August thunderstorms & are better contained now but still burning). Now we are getting smoke & ash from all the fires in central California & are being advised to stay in or wear N-95 masks outside. Closer to the fires, the air is even worse. Oftentimes ocean breezes help freshen the air for us near the coast, but there is now so much krud over the ocean that the wind is just sending it back over land.  :(

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 07:55:23 pm »
We also have a member who lives in Oregon and who was fortunate enough to have lived a shout and a hollar from the wildfires that are raging here. One Ward in Lincoln City had to evacuate, and quite a few have lost their homes.

From what I have heard the town of Otis, OR is pretty much destroyed as are the towns from North Lincoln City up to Tillamook. 

The smoke is no longer a dark orange/red, and today the wind off the ocean is blowing & is mixed with sweet damp fog and clearing up the remains of the smoke. The poor firefighters are exhausted, half of our ward and the ward to the north of us have been up at the fairgrounds helping to take care of animals as well as going out to find lost horses, cows, goats, cats, dogs and chickens.

The picture is across the drive where I live. It was taken around noon, it got progressively darker the next two hours, and by 4 pm you couldn't even see the house that is in the picture. It was also 96 degrees F. at noon! That night the low was 75.

We had a fire that was started by some drifters to the east of us on Hwy 34. The locals saw them, caught up with them, hog tied them for law enforcement and helped our firemen put out the fire before it wiped out a couple of homes. That was about 8 miles from where I live.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 06:06:36 pm »
Happy Days, last night just before sun set we had visible clouds, patches of blue skies and could see the sun in those blue skies. The smell of doused fires is still there, but not so much. I am not feeling well this afternoon. Was up coughing until I gave up after 4 hours and took a large dose of nite liquid medicine. Woke up an hour ago [1:55 pm] with a slight fever. Bleh!

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 05:16:59 pm »
A firefighter was killed yesterday on the El Dorado Fire,  which will forever be known as the Gender Reveal Fire, AKA the Blue or Pink Fire.

This fire, just north of a couple of Nauvoodles in Riverside County. is now close to 22,000 acres and has injured 12 other people and destroyed 10 buildings.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:29:23 pm by Curelom »

* Calendar

October 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Trump "fact" sheet ? by JLM