Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Distance Learning  (Read 558 times)

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Distance Learning
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 09:58:24 am »
That's something similar to what I posted on my facebook, quite early on. Not only that because "everyone" tries to invent the covid vaccine and other important vaccinations are stopped because of it causing more deaths than covid, also there still are more people dying of hunger etc.

I get it, covid is real. It is a good idea to work to stop it. But all this is so western world oriented -death has come to our doorstep so we must act quickly and with great measures - and after this is done, again forget everyone else doing in vast amounts for reasons we actually could do something about.Why don't we gather the world experts the same way to deal with all the other issues killing people? Because those other things don't affect our everyday lives.

Call me a cynic or whatever, but it does kind of make me feel sick.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 09:01:53 pm »
Palmon: that sort of thing hit home for me with this, because my January mammogram came back sketchy and I needed a followup, but it was scheduled for the March and of course cancelled. I wasn't able to get in until halfway through June. If it had been something aggressive, the delay would have decreased my chances of survival significantly.

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 04:38:36 am »
Now that I'm in the throes of in-school and distance-learning at the same time, all I can say is I'm exhausted! We are in the middle of week 3. In trying to please everyone, we have two thirds of the kids in school and one-third at home. I wish we'd either gone all in with everyone in school, or everyone at home. In my county, we are making "modules" for each week for each subject to teach our distance learners. These modules provide all of the lessons and resources needed for four days of instruction, with the fifth day meant for conferencing with the distance learners. Even splitting the work load up, and each teacher in a grade taking one subject, it's been difficult. I'm in charge of the fifth grade math for my school. I'm the gifted teacher and teach the advanced content math class for fifth graders, so it was logical for me to do the math. Others do the reading, writing, science, and social studies. I make four videos for each of four days: Intro to the week (just once), intro to the day, lesson for the day, practice explanation for the day, and number talk. That's sixteen videos for each week to be made prior to the following week's instruction. Then we Google Meet with our distance learners every day for a few minutes to double-check how they are doing, to explain things "in person," etc. So every lesson in school gets interrupted with the Meet. It's supposed to be when the in-school kids are doing their practice work, so supposedly the teacher is free, but kids need help! Even with setting my timer on my phone to tell me when to have the Meet, I managed to miss at least twice for each class that I teach during the first two weeks of school. This week, the Meets have been cut back to just twice a week, and so far I've gotten to all of them just fine. Kids can contact us at any time if they need help, and we'll get back to them as soon as we can.

It's like doing the same work twice. Make the videos for the kids at home, then teach the kids at school the same content the next week. Right now I'm two weeks ahead, but in just a few days that'll only be one week ahead. It's a constant push to get things done, using every possible spare moment during the day and then coming in an hour early and leaving two hours later than the "work hours."

I'm very happy to be teaching again, and to be working with the kids again. But it's an exhausting process. Whew! Just needed to share and update on how it's going!

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 03:12:42 pm »
Sparky, your process sounds remarkably similar to what we do at my school. Here's how I structured our schedule to help teachers with all the extra responsibilities: I put all our specialty classes on the same day for each grade level. For example, on Wednesdays, all the first grade classes rotate through art, music, Spanish, P.E., yoga, and recess. I hired part-time assistants to help the kids through all their rotations on that day. All the first-grade teachers have Wednesdays as their planning day--no instructional responsibility on their planning day. They can even work from home if they want. They use that day to create a week's worth of classroom lessons and online lessons. The added benefit is that for the specialty teachers, they only have one grade level--a cohort--coming through their classrooms on any one day. It helps to reduce virus transmission (according to our state recommendations, anyway.)

We're all still exhausted. I'm really hoping for a viable vaccine soon we can all get off this crazy train.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 04:52:05 pm »
Roper, having that full day to plan sounds won.der.ful!!! Our principal has our Early Intervention Teachers taking charge of a class on Wednesdays so the homeroom teachers get an extra planning period that day. That's about all of the extra time they got. I'm not a homeroom teacher, and only have four planning periods a week instead of the regular five. It's just how it worked out with my schedule. I love to hear the things you are doing with your school. You sound like the kind of principal I wish I had!

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 07:17:14 pm »
The drawback is that on the other four days, teachers have no planning period. They get recess and lunch off, but it makes for long days with only those breaks. So far, though, the teachers are liking it.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

* Calendar

October 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Trump "fact" sheet ? by JLM