Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Backyard Chickens  (Read 525 times)

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Backyard Chickens
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 02:45:04 pm »
My sister still remembers in detail the day that Dino (the feeder steer she had been riding all summer) became dinner. Excruciatingly sad detail. And that was 40 years ago.

We bought a calf to raise for beef and my nephew named him Mitch. Everyone, including my parents and nephew's parents, refused to eat Mitch burgers, and I think the meat sat in the freezer for a very long time until they gave it away, or something.

There have been many cows since, none with names and no one gets too attached to them.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Redd

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 02:43:01 am »
I would have no qualms about eating homegrown chickens someday. I teach my children to know what animals their dinner comes from.

From what everyone else said, that's probably easier said than done.

I don't have kids, but I can imagine, if the kids had raised & pampered & fallen in love with a critter & I put it on the dinner table, I would hear, "I hate you, you're a monster, you're the most awful parent in the world & I never ever want to see you again!!!" followed by storming into the bedrooms & the sounds of bags being packed to run away from home.  :o

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »
The hens slept outside in the coop last night. I kept the heat lamp on, but when I checked on them this morning, they were not huddled underneath it. I let them out and they have been happily playing in the 55 degree weather all morning. I have 9 of the same type of chicken. We would form less of a bond with a large group of identical chickens, but they are not identical. About half are moderate brown and the other half dark brown. If they become more individual as they mature, so much that we can tell them apart with different names, then it might be harder to eat them if it came time.

I am still looking for the "appropriate" one to name Hei-Hei (Moanna). But so far they are all competing for that title about the same.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 02:42:32 pm »
We would form less of a bond with a large group of identical chickens, but they are not identical. About half are moderate brown and the other half dark brown. If they become more individual as they mature, so much that we can tell them apart with different names, then it might be harder to eat them if it came time.

You need to become a poultry farmer & have a flock of several hundred chickens. They would be less individual & distinct so your kids (or their parents  ;) )wouldn't think of each chicken as a pet. Then putting them in the oven or in a sandwich wouldn't be so hard.  :P

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 10:48:16 am »
My grandparents ran a chicken farm. Each barn had something like 10k chickens. There are no individuals at that point.

The following users thanked this post: Redd

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 06:33:01 pm »
When I was 11-14 yo,my Uncle had a little Gentleman's Farm. Had two milking cows, raised a steer to be butchered, had laying & meat chickens, also raised three piglets for food. We called them Bacon Bit #1, #2 & #3. The steer was called Rump Roast and I rode him like a big fat gentle horse for the two years we had him. He also had three horses. I rode them too, bare back cause I wasn't tall or strong enough to put the saddle on.

Didn't hurt my feelings when he was butchered. I watched and took the blood that was collected up to the house for my Dad. Blech! hated the smell!

I spent those entire summers with my Aunt & Uncle. My Aunt never did learn how to cook on a big wood stove. Uncle & my Grandma [his mother] bought her an electric stove and a good sized refrigerator AND a large upright freezer. All that meat had to go somewhere. It only took me about a week of cooking three meals a day on that wood stove to get really good at it. Uncle and I made bread on Saturday mornings after the cows were milked and the animals fed. His part was to knead the dough. We made 12 loaves and a LARGE jelly roll pan of dinner rolls. We also churned butter from all the cream we got daily.

My family came up on Sundays after my siblings went to church, and we had family dinner and play time.

Oh, my Uncle also raised rabbits for their meat and fur. I named the two Sires and four Dams. The babies were just referred to by their gender. He generally sold the Bucks and kept the Does to fatten up.

I preferred rabbit to chicken any day. Less blood in the meat in the rabbits.

He never did buy a hot water heater. The water was heated on the cook stove. There was a collection section at the top of the stove, and a pipe going across the ceiling to the next room [bath room]where it emptied into the bathtub. Then you added cold water from the only water pipe in there.

I loved my summers there.

So Curelom, it comes down to how the children are raised. If Mommy & Daddy are squeamish about eating the food they have raised, then so will the kids.

We have a family in the neighboring Ward who has 25 acres and raise not only their own fruits, vegetables and edible flowers, they also have two Sows and they bring in the Boar from a friends farm to mate them. They generally have 6 to 8 piglets to each Sow, which they call Bacon Bits. They paint their birth number on their backs in pink or blue to denote which Mom they came from.

The also raise around 24 meat chickens and 6 layers. Last year they raised two turkeys.

Their two daughters [aged 8 and 11] play with and feed the babies. Cuddle with the bacon bits. Feed and clean up after all of them. They have no qualms whatsoever about butchering the chickens and helping Mom and Dad process them all. Nor do they have any qualms about eating any of the food they raise.

They also raise milk goats. They sell the offspring but keep the Does. They drink some of the milk and Mom makes Goat Milk Soap. Has quite a good business too. Mom is a RN at our local hospital and Dad works for one of the water companies.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, Sparky

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 07:36:55 pm »
Iggy, I love to read your stories.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 04:01:51 pm »
so how many of you butcher your chickens? The first date Hick and I went on was to help another member butcher chickens. The family gave up on it and Hick and I got married about 4 weeks later.

That being said, Hick has had chickens for the last few years and we want to get more (the few we have only lay and have never gone broody) but by getting more, we will have to butcher  on occasion.

The questions now are these: when did you learn to butcher?
                                              what do you do with the head etc.?
                                               what do you recommend?

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 05:16:08 pm »
I first learned when a semi of chickens crashed and they appeared in our nearby front yard when I was a teen.  We spent 8 hours cutting off their heads, dipping them hot water, removing feathers, and putting them in mason jars for canning.   I did not eat chicken for a year thereafter.  (It really saved our family and about ten others who shared in the bounty that year.)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, Redd

* Recent Topics

topic Santaquin Science School
[Member News]
rcaywood
August 14, 2020, 08:09:28 pm
topic COVID-19
[Covid-19]
Sparky
August 14, 2020, 05:49:54 pm
topic A Modest Prediction
[Politics]
Curelom
August 13, 2020, 10:12:30 pm
topic Prospering in the Land
[Doctrines & Scholarship]
Panama Jones
August 13, 2020, 08:53:43 pm
topic Church leaders in legal proceedings
[News of the Church]
JLM
August 12, 2020, 01:19:05 am
topic returning to meetings in the chapel.
[Latter-day Saint Life]
AndrewR
August 11, 2020, 07:41:41 am
topic New Weird News Thread
[Current Events & News]
Curelom
August 11, 2020, 06:10:50 am
topic The Feel-Good Thread
[Current Events & News]
Curelom
August 10, 2020, 04:40:29 am
topic Past racism and eternal standards