Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: returning to meetings in the chapel.  (Read 5028 times)

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
returning to meetings in the chapel.
« on: June 21, 2020, 03:02:30 pm »
My Stake and Ward has come up with a way to have ward services in the buildings. This is part of the email sent to us:

We will start meetings
June 28th
@ our normal time: 9:00am
in our normal building

Group D will be the first to start as
it is the 4th week in the month.

·
            Meeting will be abbreviated
down to ~45 minutes and will consist of administration of the sacrament and possibly one talk.

·
            No other meetings
(YM/YW/Sunday School/Primary) will be held at this time

Sunday/Relief
Society/Elders Quorum will still be held via Zoom etc.

Who:

·
            Meetings will be limited
to 50 or so people at this time

We will have 4 groups (A,B,C,& D). Those
groups are as follows:

Group A- Last name A-C

Group B- Last name D-J

Group C- Last name K-Payne

Group D- Last name Peru-Z

The saints  that Hick and I meet with each week will not be attending the meetings in the church building at our group time because all members will be required to wear masks during the entire time (except when partaking of the sacrament) and we have members whose asthma will not let them wear a mask for that long, so we will still have the cottage meetings for now, and that seems to be alright with the stake leaders.

I was curious as to how each of your wards/branches were dealing with services and if you were going back to the chapel per the norm or not.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:04:37 pm by Redd »

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: returning to meetings in the chapel.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 04:03:35 pm »
My state still prohibits any gathering of 10+ people, so we remain completely on our own with at-home church and no church-approved Zoom type conferences for group study. We very recently received approval to have home teachers provide the sacrament for families without worthy priesthood holders.

The following users thanked this post: Redd

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 05:07:53 pm »
Our Stake has said no meetings until at least September. We do Zoom on Wednesday for gospel doctrine, and we meet in groups 25 or less in the parking lot of the meetinghouse for RS. Just recently the gospel doctrine class needs to be discussion only, so one has to read the home study NOT the church one, and the GD leader posts questions to ponder. Then the PH started doing Zoom, posting the General Conference talk on Sunday to be discussed on Thursday, on Thursday when the link and password is emailed, he posts questions to be discussed.

The Mission Leader for our area has had ALL of his missionaries do a FB live feed on featuring each group from each area once a week. So our Sister Missionaries do one week, then the 4 elder missionaries from the next town do the next, then etc. on across the regional area of the Corvallis Oregon Stake, then those from the other Oregon Stakes do their own.

We can write our comments, and after the life feed, some comments are answered there on FB and some others are via phone.

Everyone who has friended the Sister Missionaries can see & hear & comment. Their families visit during that live feed. I wait until the next day as my comments never get posted.

I did make a text comment to our Ward Mission Leader that since the change for the Missionaries that they now can call home once a week, could they please not have their families [parents, all siblings, nieces-n-nephews, cousins, aunts-n-uncles, school mates, etc.] on our weekly Ward Family Home Evening? So we shall see what comes of that? He had made a comment on our Ward FB page how the first FHE only had 6 Ward members "attending", then now ~ 6 weeks later there were 62 people attending. Well, I looked at all the messages and there were only 2 from the ward and the rest from the Sisters families, home wards,etc. So I commented back, Bro Ward Mission Leader just how many are actually from our WARD? No comment yet!

The following users thanked this post: Redd, nitasmile

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 05:38:14 pm »
Our stake started this month, and with 4 wards in our building, each ward gets 1 week and divides into the necessary # of meeting times (we use 3) so there is no more than about 50 members per 45 minute meeting (every other pew), and the chapel can be cleaned after each meeting. Only those dealing with the sacrament are required to wear masks or gloves. In our meeting today, we were 2 of only 6 people (besides the priests and deacons) wearings masks. Sigh.

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 04:59:56 am »
We have weekly meetings on Facebook Live, with two talks and a musical item. We have Sunday School in the afternoon at 4 pm. We have EQ and RS alternating weekly on a Tuesday, Missionaries on a Thursday, and a discussion group on Fridays. Everything is online, and it seems like people are enjoying it. We also have a lot of participation from less actives, which is really nice. It certainly avoids having to clean the building

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 01:38:14 pm »
Our stake started this month, and with 4 wards in our building, each ward gets 1 week and divides into the necessary # of meeting times (we use 3) so there is no more than about 50 members per 45 minute meeting (every other pew), and the chapel can be cleaned after each meeting. Only those dealing with the sacrament are required to wear masks or gloves. In our meeting today, we were 2 of only 6 people (besides the priests and deacons) wearings masks. Sigh.

Yeah, Abby said the singles' branch is pretty well attended and zero people are wearing masks.

Our ward is divided into 4 groups. The group we're assigned to goes last and we'll meet the first Sunday in July. I have to go twice a month though to play organ (for people who won't be singing). Numbers are going up here again so I'm nervous about the whole thing, but I also see that more temples are opening so I'm trying to have faith that our leaders know what's safe.

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 06:23:41 pm »
Ada county is rolling back to stage 3 (this is Idaho, so mostly affects Jen and me) so we might stop meeting again. Which is fine with me--I loved the feel of being in the chapel again, but there was such a lackadaisical approach by 99% of the congregation that I didn't feel really safe.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Hobbes

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:53:02 am »
Because of an upswing in COVID cases here, our meetings in the chapel have been canceled, as has the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta and the New Mexico State Fair in Albuquerque. I have not heard if the Southern New Mexico State Fair in Las Cruces is being canceled or not. I am hoping to still be able to put on the Stake Relief Society Free-cycle in October.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 12:05:06 pm »
We had our first Sunday back at church this morning. The ward has been divided into four sections, and each section goes once a month in order to maintain distancing. My son was the only Aaronic Priesthood holder there, so he and I blessed and two Melchizedek Priesthood holders passed. Sacrament meeting only, and lots of precautions in place. Everyone administering in the Sacrament is required to wear masks and use sanitizer. It took 40 years to go from three hours to two hours, but only four months to go down to 30 minutes  ;)
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:35:10 pm »
Not at all ready to be 90 minutes plus away from home toilets.  And want to give the unit a couple of weeks at least to iron out the kinks.
 So today sacrament was delivered to my home. Words cannot express my gladness. I cannot even remember the last meeting...maybe February?
Just call me content to stay home .  This month I start to meet with the sisters by Zoom.  I am sure chaos will ensue but I am hopeful.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Scruffydog, Roper, Sparky

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 12:55:55 am »
Some of the Wards in Finland started this week, some will next week, (smaller ones in areas with not many people who caught covid), ours and other bigger Wards in the capital area where most covid cases have been, wont start until Aug 9th, and if things change for worse, that may be postponed too. They will take precautions, maybe split the wards (in our case would mean 4-5 groups meeting in our building), but we'll see about that then. Until then they'll continue the Sunday broadcast and sacrament can be blessed at home/ delivered to others.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 09:56:31 am »
This Bishops in our stake "met" with the Stake Presidency last evening to discuss this. We will start having a short 20-30 minute sacrament meeting sometime in July. It will be Zoomed to those in their homes. It will be primarily for those who cannot have the Sacrament at home.

No singing.
Special Sacrament precautions.
Maybe one speaker.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 07:28:45 am »
We are still in lockdown and online only. I have to say that I have quite enjoyed sacrament meetings in bed

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 12:18:02 am »
So my area is finally investigating whether to resume in-person meetings and what sort of restrictions are needed. Bishop sent out a Google Docs survey to everyone last week, and said it would be several weeks yet while the responses were being considered. But there is slow progress at last.

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 11:33:15 am »
Our Stake had begun starting meetings, and some wards had already begun, and other were scheduled to begin in the next couple weeks.

A letter from the Stake just went out cancelling those plans until at least mid August. I very much appreciated this part of the notice:

We are seeing a significant bump in the Covid cases in [the stake's] counties.  We've seen this uptick not as just a statistical value, but also in the health and well-being of people we know and love.

We have a very good Stake President.

* Recent Topics

topic "The time has come," the Walrus said
[Member News]
dyany
November 28, 2020, 10:57:18 pm
topic Current Events - US Politics Edition
[Politics]
Taalcon
November 27, 2020, 09:35:39 am
topic Cabin 2.0
[General Discussion]