Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Ebay  (Read 402 times)

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Ebay
« on: June 04, 2020, 08:09:25 pm »
In advance, I'm just going to say I'm sorry that this is long. But I can't really tell the story correctly with out the details. Hopefully it won't be too boring.

Generally speaking, I do not use Ebay. Until a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for a particular game (Guess Who -- Guessing Board Game Mystery). I couldn't find it in stores because it is an old game, nor on Amazon, so I took a gander at Ebay. Prices ranged all over the place. I found one that I thought was a good price and bought it (under $25). I paid through paypal. All was good.  Then I got a tracking message that the package had been delivered to individual. Except, I was the correct individual and the package did NOT get delivered to me.  :( By the time I got the message, normal working hours were over and it was Friday so I didn't do anything about it. I figured I'd call the Post Office (it was sent USPS) on Monday when they were open again and see what I could find out. (I was not able to call during their working hours on Saturday.)

So, Saturday night, I'm ruminating about the whole business, and about how so much mail gets misdelivered. Just a few days before this I had delivered a magazine to a house across the street that had been put into my mailbox.  This happens more frequently than I think it should.

So anyway, I'm ruminating, and thought that since I got a message that the package had been delivered that I would let the sender of the package know that it actually hadn't been delivered. It seemed like a fair enough thing to do. So I got on Ebay and lo and behold, there's a handy-dandy form to fill in to let the sender know the package did not arrive.

Having done my due diligence, I put down the computer and phone and watched a movie with my hubby.  When the movie gets over I discover I have 5 emails from the seller! Here is the run-down of the sellers emails to me:
    Delivered- better contact your postal carrier
    Since you are a NEW ebayer, I have contacted my Ebay Service Rep. Before Claiming you didn't receive it, you should talk to your Postal Carrier. This is sketchy at best.
    Residence at END of street. I have notified both the S Thornton AND E Morris Post Office, Delivery Personnel to CONTACT the delivery mailman. I will also report a Fraud case with USPS if he did indeed deliver it to your address. We will find out Monday what's going on. DJ. If you happen to FIND the game, you will need to CLOSE the request. I have been doing this 19 years....and I know my way around the system and the RED FLAGS are usually correct. DJ
    WOW! I'm impressed. USPS just called ME!. We need verification of your shipping address AND phone number. Please advise. DJ
    Why no reply?? Ebay has all of my correspondence to you. Please advise. DJ
I responded, saying I had been watching a movie and would check with the post office on Monday. On Sunday, the seller responds with the address and phone number of my post office, and with a request to know if I checked with my neighbors. I again responded with a thank you for providing me with the post office info and that I was waiting to check with the post office before checking with my neighbors. (Things have been misdelivered all up and down our street. I didn't want to go knocking door to door down the whole street.)

Monday comes. I call the post office and they check their gps and discover where it was misdelivered to. They say they will retrieve the package and deliver it to me on Tuesday. They don't tell me where it is.

Tuesday. No package is delivered.

Wednesday. The seller sends me an email with the house number where the package was delivered (number given to her by the post office). I go to the house and the teenager knows nothing. Parents aren't home. I go back later that day and the parents know nothing. The whereabouts of the package is unknown.

I send the seller a message telling her this.  Her response:
I have no control over the Post Office and am curious why I had to do all the work to try to locate your game. Why are you Throwing it back on me? I held up my end of the bargain....Now I don't have PAYMENT or MY GAME. SO UNFAIR TO US SELLERS. The post office is working on it. DJ
I responded that I didn't know why she didn't have payment. It was debited from my account. It wasn't returned to me.  Her reply,
its already been SNATCHED from my account. NO MONEY< NO GAME...But let the POST OFFICE DO THEIR JOB

I replied, saying I would contact the post office yet again the next day. It was 9:30 at night when I wrote this. Her reply was
always tomorrow! and what is it you're going to call the PO about tomorrow! I've had to take care of everything and you have no VALID answers.
red flags, red flags. red flags...Trum2020! Thats okay. I',m done with this. I get it. You don't know your neighbors? Did you just move in? NOT! there are Leaders and Followers, Givers and TAKERS. END COMMUNICATION. I AM DONE WITH THIS ONE

So, this is my first real experience with Ebay. I know most of the sellers on Ebay are probably pretty nice people. But this person is not, at least, not to me. I've done all I can do. We are both out of a game and money. I know my experience is the result of the post office not doing their job in delivering the package correctly. But this seller made it all worse.

Have you had better experiences?

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:12 pm »
If the seller didn't get the money and it wasn't returned to you, there were is it?

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 09:01:19 pm »
Just report the whole thing to ebay.

As a matter of law, once a seller puts it into the mail/commerce with appropriate postage or payment, they have done their part (which is why the post office asks if people want insurance).   That is what she was saying to you.  (Don't know what ebay's contract with customers is, or what you were lead to believe would happen --- things can be changed by contracts, which buyers mostly don't read anyway.)

I guess since the PO says it was delivered to the other place, your recourse is really with it --- they misdelivered it, if the package was addressed correctly.   Make sure you fill out the forms to seek redress for not getting it.   Describe what happened when you spoke with the kiddo that day and what the kiddo looked like and what time it was and who else you saw at the house, etc.   (Too bad you didn't get a glimpse of the box while you were there.)   The postal inspector will then pursue a case (or just refund the money).    (Whether you keep it or return it to the seller will depend on whether ebay refunds your payment to you by then, or has not:  Be sure you snap a photo showing it got taken out of your account and if it every gets put back ---- because you should file a challenge with the credit card if you don't get it back by the 58th day (or the other date your cc limits).)

And it sounds like the seller must be having a really hard time at the moment because they came pretty unglued and even defamed you by accusing you of getting it and lying about it.   (They must not live on a street where things always get mixed up, and mostly when the seller reports it delivered, it isn't actually delivered until one or two days later, which is how mail at my street works.) 

Absolutely ebay needs to know what they said and did.   (Hard to know how much to push though in these awful times when stress is causing overreactions.   I can only imagine if they are selling a family game because they are desparate for cash???)

From your description, ebay must take back the payment immediately upon receipt of the complaint of non-delivery (probably they will investigate and then decide where it should go.)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:29:12 pm »
Thanks, pnr. I can always count on you to get to the heart of the matter as far as the law is concerned. I appreciate your advice.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:52:41 pm by Sparky »

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:45:28 pm »
I ordered A sewing machine once. It was never shipped and the seller never responded. eBay was able to get my money refunded. eBay was very easy to work with. Seller, not so much.
Another time I ordered a Mother’s Day plate and the transaction had no issues.

On EBay the sellers are rated. It’s a good idea to read the reviews. And not to send a lot of money to a new seller that offers deals that are a little too good. On that note, you should leave a review. Be honest.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:53:53 pm »
Beefche, that's my question, too.

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 01:21:51 pm »
Agree with Palmon--it's kind of a civic duty to leave an honest review these days. Companies and sellers are made or destroyed by reviews, which is why so many will give bad service (knowing most people won't do or say anything), then pander and try to bribe those who leave bad reviews.

Don't hesitate or 'try to be nice.' There are way too many scammers out there who use emotional rhetoric, lies, and manipulation to either make victims either feel too bad to post an honest review, or pander to change the review to something NOT representative of the actual experience or product.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 02:57:34 pm »
Agree with Palmon--it's kind of a civic duty to leave an honest review these days. Companies and sellers are made or destroyed by reviews, which is why so many will give bad service (knowing most people won't do or say anything), then pander and try to bribe those who leave bad reviews.
And it's not just Ebay. A couple of years ago, I bought a camera grip from Adorama, one of the largest camera retailers in the U.S. There was a two week delay, and then they sent me the wrong item. I called to return it, and Adorama insisted that I had to pay return postage. The rep on the phone was incredibly rude. I left a truthful review describing my experience. Within 24 hours, another rep called me, offered to pay for shipping, and offered to give me a $25 store credit if I changed my review. That seemed sleazy to me.Adorama gave me the refund and paid for the return shipping, but I declined the store credit and let the review stand. I haven't shopped there since. I can get the same things for close to the same cost from other stores.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
My experience with Ebay was totally different. I bought a cookbook and what came was way better than the one I ordered and more expensive. It was the same I wanted, but had never been used. I contacted the seller and he said Let It Stand. He inherited all the books from his ex-wife and he wants them gone.

I wrote a good review. The truth. Got the product faster than PayPal took the money - product was in much better condition thEN stated. Seller was true to his words.

Contact Ebay and be honest and tell the whole story. Leave an honest review, or in other words Don't be a Stranger To The Truth. Talk with your PostMaster in person before you leave the review. And Document E V E R Y T H I N G !!!

If POSSIBLE contact your credit card company and stop payment.

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 05:54:17 pm »
I have documented everything. I tried to go through the eBay resolution center. I wrote everything up. Almost 9,000 words (10,000 max). I saved a copy of what I wrote to a word doc. I pressed the button to send it. Error message! I tried a different place in eBay. Different error message! I'm going to have to track down a different way to contact eBay. This is getting ridiculous!

Iggy, I'm so glad you had a great experience!

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 05:56:07 pm »
Roper, if I had been able to find the game someplace besides eBay, I would have!

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 07:25:53 pm »
I must be one of maybe 100 people who have never had to use Ebay. I've considered it for a few items, & then either lost interest in the stuff or decided not to bother. ;D  I guess my time will come. No issues with Amazon or Etsy, & fortunately they've been able to meet my needs. A few weeks ago I made a purchase on Etsy that I think was an identical listing to one on Ebay, because even though the seller names were different, the item was exactly the same, a one of a kind vintage thing, & once I made the purchase on Etsy, I checked back on Ebay & it was listed as sold.

Hopefully you can get this resolved, but especially that you get the article you wanted.

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 03:23:16 pm »
Horray, horray, the package finally arrived today! Based on the notes included on the box, it was delivered to a house down the street, not the one that the post office told the seller about. The people who received the package opened it, then held onto it for a few days before taking it to the post office. But it finally got here, safe and sound.

I let the seller know how I didn't appreciate her comments. I closed the complaint on ebay. I left a negative feedback on the seller. And I don't think I'll be buying anything through ebay for a long time!

Just got a message back from the seller. She still accuses me of trying to put one over on her.
Thanks for ALL your help!! And your next door neighbor couldn't WALK it over? ???? Unlikely!!! I stand by my reasoning!!!#

First, it wasn't my next door neighbor. Second, the people at that address are elderly and have a difficult time getting out. Third, this seller is just plain and simple, a jerk.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Iggy

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 06:26:10 pm »
I'm glad you finally got your game. It's nice that the couple brought it over, even though it was difficult for them. Some people are jerks but most of the people selling on eBay and Esty are just trying to work a business and are decent folk.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 11:17:08 am »
Some people are jerks but most of the people selling on eBay and Esty are just trying to work a business and are decent folk.
That's been my experience. I've bought and sold things on ebay for almost 20 years. I've only encountered jerks twice--once as a seller and once as a buyer.

I haven't used ebay much in recent years, because true auctions have become hard to find. A lot of ebay has become a digital storefront for businesses who list things with "buy it now" instead of true auctions. When I'm looking for an old camera lens, for example, and I filter out the "buy it now" sellers, I get maybe seven or eight auctions. It used to be hundreds. As a result, things aren't selling and I get many re-listing notices in my email every week because items I'm watching haven't sold. For myself, whenever I list something, I use a true auction format. I always list it with free priority shipping, and I almost always sell it for higher than I had hoped.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, Palmon

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 [4]
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

• - Holidays -
  • holiday Independence Day

* Recent Posts