Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What's so good about it?  (Read 393 times)

Enochscion

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
What's so good about it?
« on: May 31, 2020, 08:47:21 am »
I have one answer that has strongly impacted me recently, but I wanted to see what other answers people have found to the following question.

Assumption: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is divinely approved in a unique way, and the belief paradigm revealed through it presents a worldview that is more Good than any other.

Question: How--specifically--is the Latter-day Saint worldview more good than all others?

(Feel free to expand beyond the bare bones interpretations that the members mostly agree on into the ideas that feel right to you within the revealed teachings.)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: What's so good about it?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:22:24 pm »
What do you mean by "more Good?"

I think one way in which we are uniquely "fair" (or maybe "just" is the right word) is in temple ordinances. I think the concept that the ordinances of salvation are available to all who accept them, even if they died without them, makes universal the claim that we are children of God.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:45:13 pm »
Before answering I would also like a definition for "Latter-Day Saint worldview". Doctrinal or what people have (that differs quite a bit throughout the Latter-Day Saint world...) or what they should have?

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 03:04:06 pm »
It is the world view that we are all spirit children of Heavenly Parents who know and love us and will help us to the extent that doesn't impinge on our agency or Their Plan  that should (and when lived in a life of discipleship to Jesus Christ does) result in good.   It is not just a place that is bigger than all the mortal labels or experiences, but something more/and different /and good in how we interact, what is important, what foundational principles undergird choices and decisions.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Enochscion

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 06:12:09 am »
Before answering I would also like a definition for "Latter-Day Saint worldview". Doctrinal or what people have (that differs quite a bit throughout the Latter-Day Saint world...) or what they should have?

If you can sincerely hold a temple recommend and it's your worldview derived from the Restoration, that's what is relevant. Until we gain the divine ability to "see as we are seen" and "know as we are known" it's likely impossible to have exactly the same mental models in our minds. But I absolutely do mean to exclude worldviews that are out harmony with the doctrinal questions on the temple recommend.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:18 am »
Well, that leaves a lot of wiggle room, so I'm not sure "worldview" is the right term. 

The following users thanked this post: cook, dyany, Roper

Enochscion

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 03:49:26 am »
My goal was to avoid a discussion of what counts as doctrine and that sort of thing, as well as focusing on eternal truths rather than how well we as a people are doing at implementing any particular principle at any particular time.

My carefully chosen language appears to have absolutely failed at the first part.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

JLM

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 08:35:12 am »
I think the problem is with the question you asked.  I don't think there is a unitary LDS worldview.  Over time, our leader have coalesced around a number of principles and teachings, although they do evolve, but it each one more good than all others?

Perhaps if you offered up your own answer we'll get a better idea of what you are specifically asking.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Sparky

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 02:28:00 pm »
I've had the chance to teach ethics to kids. On those lessons we also talk about what is a worldview. It is a particular, philosophical (or religious) view of the world and people as a whole. It contains values and norms.

It seems that in English you pretty much use the same word for two things we have separated. It is this above and what we call a view of life. That contains the views on the meaning and purpose of life and goals of life.

I have to say your explanations made me even more confused, but if I simply answer what I think is "more good" in the world view our gospel presents, I would say it is the teaching of us existing before coming to earth, being sent here for a specific purpose and everyone having a real chance to live the life after this in the best possible way in the presence of God.

Some religions teach that we have existed before, but other Christians don't and those religions that do, usually think of it as a living here on earth again and again. Most have a way to be "saved" and have a good life after this life, but none teach that actually everyone has a real chance to make the choice.

For most part I think we don't have unique worldview but we have a unique comibination of worldviews or bits of worldviews.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 04:18:45 pm »
My carefully chosen language appears to have absolutely failed at the first part.
It's not a failure on your part. Over the past few years, people have become overly suspicious about the meaning of words and phrases, because they have been consistently and willfully misconstrued to create political division.  I mean, your post could have been interpreted as "Why are Mormons better than everyone else?" I am absolutely sure that you didn't intend it that way. But, such is the hyper-sensitive state of our communication these days.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:24:56 am »
Our faith is built on love for one another, not fear or guilt or superiority. That means that our faith is right. It does not mean that it is any better than any other faith, just that we are based on the right things

JLM

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 02:15:42 pm »
I believe everyone has their own unique “worldview” based on their own unique disposition and lived experiences.  I believe there are some common elements shared by most  engaged LDS members.  I suppose if we could begin with a proposed list of those elements, we could start the discussion proper.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 04:34:39 pm »
Our 13 Articles of Faith?

JLM

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 04:52:50 pm »
That is an excellent idea.  While there will be some variability among the members on the details of interpretation and implementation, the core principles behind the articles are nearly universally accepted by the members.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »
Back to the original question in that context, then: "Question: How--specifically--is the Latter-day Saint worldview more good than all others?"

It might be good to start with how we are similar. In our Articles of Faith, we share many beliefs with other Christian faiths:

Articles 1, part of 3, most of 4, part of 6, 7, half of 8, part of 9, 11, 12, and 13 mostly align with traditional Christianity.

Our differences:

2: Our understanding of our first parents' choices in Eden.
3: Obedience AND grace required for salvation.
4: Gift of Holy Ghost.
5: Priesthood authority.
6: Church organization.
8: Book of Mormon.
9: Continuing revelation.
10: Gathering of Israel.

How do those specific parts of our worldview make us "more good"? I'll start with AofF 2:

"We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression."

That statement has led to further light and knowledge about our parents' choices in Eden. The outcome has been that Choice has become an eternal companion principle to Salvation. It's also led to a differentiation of the concepts of "sin" and "transgression," as taught by Lehi in 2 Nephi 2. The "more good" part is a deeper love for my Heavenly Father who planned this for me, a deeper love for my First Parents who put it into motion with their choices, and a deeper love for my Savior who brings me back when I screw it up.

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Happy Birthday, Goody! by Jana at Jade House
[Today at 12:31:29 pm]