Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Inspiration vs Coming up with a sensible thing to do  (Read 249 times)

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Inspiration vs Coming up with a sensible thing to do
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:25:07 pm »
Our mission, and maybe more, have recently created Facebook pages by Area (District I guess). And I having ward member and leaders use it to share the gospel. The Missionaries post something and we have to share it with friends - that simple.

They posted this in the ward Facebook page to advertise it.

Hello wonderful Newcastle Ward! As the Lord continues to move His work forward our leaders have been inspired to use Facebook and specifically Facebook PAGES! These are wonderful because as we still share the message of the Restoration of the Gospel as you each Like the page you act as "call towers" that increase the range of the "signal" that we as missionaries are sending.

So with our further adeiu PLEASE like the page and invite family and friends in the Newcastle/Stoke area to do so as well!😁 THANK YOU!!

"our leaders have been inspired to use Facebook and specifically Facebook PAGES!"

Really, it took God to tell them this? This is the sort of thing that makes me cringe. We do not need to be commanded in all things. We are supposed to work out a plan and take it to the Lord. So why did God need to tell the Mission President (about to finish 3 years, and a well respected businessman before his mission) to use Facebook Pages? Of course, He didn't. The Mission President did his calling and used his authority to do what the Lord knew he was capable of doing in this calling. So why say it was inspired?

And, if we are going to have Missionaries posting on Facebook, maybe they should use Grammerly!

"So with our further adeiu"    Idiots!

I worry for thisinitiativee. Should I, am I a bad member/EQP?
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Inspiration vs Coming up with a sensible thing to do
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:55:49 pm »
My ward did this recently in the US.  I suspect it is a church wide missionary directive, and when things come from headquarters, people tend to think of it as from God.   (Why we don't think of what SP and bishops are inspired of God to ask too, is likely because the "without honor in their own country" phenomena.)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 01:32:15 am »
This was done by stake here, as I've seen my own stake and three bordering stakes which are all in the same temple district. The pages are listed "Church of Jesus Christ in (stake name)". I wonder at the impression given by leaving out a portion of the name of the Church.

The way I discovered them was through friends responding to an event listing for a Zoom style broadcast set up by a neighboring stake and advertised through that stake's missionary page.  The only word I'd seen from my own stake presidency was "watch for news tomorrow about a new way to serve!" with zero follow-up.   And by the time I had seen this event listing, the "gallery" section  was already populated with several inappropriate image uploads. DEFINITELY not a good first impression.

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:09:18 am »
We got a new stake missionary page in the last couple weeks as well..I have not yet joined it. I feel these pages add little as we receive good messages on the actual Church pages..I am Facebooked out..even our stake page has little fresh stuff. And things that would be helpful to stake members ( ie more local stories) are not done. I would love to see messages from our local leaders or things to help true connection but this is not the way it goes.

Enochscion

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:53:33 am »
A lot of inspiration is permissive rather than directive. The Lord can just be signing off on it, not necessarily saying "Behold, verily, this is the bestest of ways!" That's probably one big reason why something can be inspired and not necessarily be the most effective method of doing something. What is problematic is when we get attached to something that the Lord signed off on, and a better way comes along and we resist it, or put too much attachment to the details of an imperfect implementation.

But really, there is also great value to firm commitment to testimonies of the Spirit. So how should we respond to such situations? What should be our approach to inspired direction (whether personal, it through a leader) when we aren't sure how effective it really is? (I don't know, but I felt I'd bring up the question.)

The following users thanked this post: Sarahgirl

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 11:25:56 am »
While I agree with the thought, I also think it this thing there must be a bit of inspiration as well, since for most mission facebook has been totally off limits. So inspiration as in "Lord, is it ok now to give missionaries permission to use this to do the work".

But my "pet peeve" in this matter is callings. Yes, there are inspired callings. I've had inspiration about callings (and sometimes only years after realized how inspired, when the person tells they were about to leave the gospel but then got this calling and it helped them through the hard patch and I remember how I felt strongly about the calling) and felt some of my callings have been inspired, but often times it is jsut about matching the available and willing people witha callings that just must be filled.

The following users thanked this post: mirkwood, Sparky

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 06:01:13 am »
Cook, agreed. I don't believe any of the music callings I have held have been particularly inspired - and I had my first one at 12, Primary Music Leader and Pianist. I can not think of a music calling, that a man can hold, that I have not held - at ward and stake level.

My current callings however, as EQP, I know was what the Lord wanted. Doesn't make the calling any easier.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts