Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: A Modest Prediction  (Read 921 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: A Modest Prediction
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 10:52:12 pm »
“Breaking: Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election. This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State. I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path.” - Trump Tweet.

So..many...problems... 

It wasn't ballots, it was applications. It's not illegal. Many states are encouraging early voting to enable citizens to vote without putting themselves at higher health risks. Trump didn't threaten Georgia and Iowa, who are doing the same thing, but they have republican governors. And threatening to withhold federal funds? Yeah, he had to walk that one back. That's not being a loudmouth. That's being a dictator.

And, in case anyone actually cares about the mail-in issue, here is an abstract from the latest scientific study (May 5, 2020) from Stanford:

In response to COVID-19, many scholars and policymakers are urging the U.S. to expand voting-by-mail programs to safeguard the electoral process. What are the effects of vote-by-mail? In this paper, we provide a comprehensive design-based analysis of the effect of universal vote-by-mail—a policy under which every voter is mailed a ballot in advance of the election—on electoral outcomes. ... We find that: (1) universal vote-by-mail does not appear to affect either party’s share of turnout; (2) universal vote-by-mail does not appear to increase either party’s vote share; and (3) universal vote-by-mail modestly increases overall average turnout rates, in line with previous estimates. All three conclusions support the conventional wisdom of election administration experts and contradict many popular claims in the media.
http://www.andrewbenjaminhall.com/Thompson_et_al_VBM.pdf
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:01:08 pm by Roper »
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 11:42:20 am »
IIRC, it was federal aid for coronavirus response that he was threatening to withhold. He did the same thing to California with funding for our catastrophic wildfires. Imagine a president of the United States holding disaster assistance hostage? Demanding a ransom to help a state in crisis?

What kind of president, at least in America, does this kind of stuff? He has clearly been paying too much attention to Putin, Kim, Xi, Duterte, & Erdogan, & trying too hard to use them as role models.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Iggy, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 06:32:58 pm »
When can/should places of worship reopen? Here are two perspectives.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/safe-return-church-meetings-activities

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/22/donald-trump-churches-mosques-synagogues-reopen

I am thankful that we have a prophet & other Church leaders who are called by God to receive His counsel for all of us, & that they rely on Him & not on the arm of flesh or the voices of the world.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2020, 09:18:33 am »
How did Trump spend most of the Memorial Day weekend. Well, he had quite a bash.

Bashed a congressman who was in the military.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/05/26/trump-bashes-marine-vet-congressman-as-an-american-fraud-on-memorial-day/24429692/

Bashed Joe Biden for wearing a face mask.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Trump-who-spent-Memorial-Day-without-a-face-15294319.php

Bashed scientists whose findings contradict him, including Columbia University.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Trump-lashes-out-at-scientists-whose-findings-15288449.php

Bashed North Carolina for being Covid fraidy-cats, threatening to move GOP coronation from Charlotte if the governor doesn’t open up.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Trump-threatens-to-pull-Republican-convention-out-15293792.php

Bashed everyone not mentioned above, with special attn (surprise) to female officials, including Hillary, who still lives inside his head almost four years after she & the alternative candidates outdid him by 8% of the popular vote.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Trump-tweets-insults-promotes-baseless-claims-15292489.php

Example:
"To protect PolyGrip during this pandemic, we have developed 2 options. With the DJT option, she will be able to tongue and adjust her dentures more easily," Trump retweeted, showing doctored images of Pelosi's face, one with a "Trump 2020" mask over her mouth and the other with silver duct tape. "With duct tape, she won't be able to drink booze on the job as much. Which do you think she will prefer? #maga #tcot #kag," Twitter user John K. Stahl had tweeted.
What grown-up person over the age of 15 tweets that kind of nonsense? He’s such a child.

Played golf Saturday & Sunday at one of his resorts & tweeted “Pray for my golf game.” Any other Potus, R or D, would have asked us to thank & pray for our military personnel & those who have served & sacrificed for our country. But course he wouldn’t think of that, being a veteran of the Bone Spur Battalion & having little notion of service & sacrifice (aside from having to go more than 2 months without golf).
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/laughingindisbelief/2020/05/trump-tweets-pray-for-my-golf-game-this-memorial-day/

As for churches being an essential service, & his demand that governors allow them to open without restrictions – he didn’t go.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

mirkwood

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2020, 12:35:23 pm »
How did Trump spend most of the Memorial Day weekend. Well, he had quite a bash.

I'm curious who you support for the upcoming Presidential election?
preppercop.blogspot.com

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 01:55:07 pm »
I'm still flabbergasted that many Trump supporters believe that any criticism of Trump must because they support liberal causes.  Yet I see much of the vocal criticism comes from moderates and conservatives who see Trump as the vile, immoral opportunist he is.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Curelom, dyany, Roper, Sparky

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2020, 02:14:34 pm »
There's someone I really respect who is a Trump voter, who more and more when he learns Trump has done or said something clearly indefensible, starts out pre-emptively and tiredly with, "Please, don't make me try to defend him again."

My unspoken response is often, well, you know that's not a requirement, right? To defend him?

Candidates I'm likely to vote for have said and done stupid, and wrong things. More often than not, when called out on some of the most egregious things said, the ones I tend to be willing to support are the ones who acknowledge they messed up, and that there's room for improvement and learning.

Give me a single example of Trump doing that instead of doubling down and explaining why anything said MUST be right.

I want a leader who is willing to be corrected, and wiling to acknowledge errors to allow for growth and learning and progression. I'd take that over someone pushing for 100% policies I agree with ANY day.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:23:05 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Roper, Sparky

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:56 pm »
Opening the church buildings must be a really complex international challenge. For instance, in the land of Cheese, a church must file a plan with local public health authorities (which makes me very happy that trained folk are in the decision making process) and have it approved.  Then, if there is discovered non compliance it is a 4000 euro fine to the organizer, and 395 euro for each individual.  That's a whopper of a fine for limited income folks.  But hopefully a deterrent to the "It is just a flu-I will not wear a mask- we need to congregate" knuckleheads.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Iggy, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2020, 12:35:18 am »

I'm curious who you support for the upcoming Presidential election?

I fear that as I’ve done so often, I’ll again find it hard to “support” anyone. I mean actively, willingly, gladly decide that Candidate X is most qualified & suitable to be President. If there is any such person, he/she is not visible on the national political stage. We don’t get the cream of the crop in national elections anymore – I have a friend who says we get the cream of the c**p. Too few truly capable, bright, service-motivated, leadership-quality people are going into politics. We have more members of Congress now who are veterans than in the couple previous decades, & they will have a bit different perspective on service, the function of national office holders, & international relations than what we have now at the top, & I’d like to know more about some of them.

Too often, voters are stuck with choosing the lesser of two evils (LOTE), which I suspect motivated most 2016 voters. They didn't vote FOR Donald or Hillary, but chose one because they detested the other one more. I had trouble then picking the LOTE & ended up voting for an alternative candidate as a matter of principle. That won’t happen this year, because my vote needs to count.

Candidates I'm likely to vote for have said and done stupid, and wrong things. More often than not, when called out on some of the most egregious things said, the ones I tend to be willing to support are the ones who acknowledge they messed up, and that there's room for improvement and learning.

Give me a single example of Trump doing that instead of doubling down and explaining why anything said MUST be right.

I want a leader who is willing to be corrected, and wiling to acknowledge errors to allow for growth and learning and progression. I'd take that over someone pushing for 100% policies I agree with ANY day.

Indeed. An arrogant Potus who is totally void of humility, never admits mistakes because he is always right, & sees disagreement as disloyalty, is dangerous. Such people thrive on power & adulation, & the more they get, the more addicted they become. From Hitler to Mao to Idi Amin to the Kim clan, we’ve seen some of the worst examples of this syndrome in the lifetimes of all of us here, & our Founders intended that should never happen in America. I hope & pray it never does, but I have to admit that I also worry.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Iggy, Roper, Taalcon

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »
Curelom, I agree with you, but I have to admit it rankles when one shows obvious disdain for one candidate and people snidely assume it's because you support "the other" candidate.

We are not a two-party system.
I don't hate people just because they oppose someone. I hate people on their own merits. :P

The longer the people in this country put politics into a strict (and false) dichotomy, the longer they make it a vitriolic "us vs them" battle, the longer we will be controlled by those with the power to keep feeding us the lie that we MUST stick with the 2 parties, and a vote for anyone else is a vote for "the enemy." 

I don't care if a 3rd party or independent candidate "doesn't have a chance." I will not throw away my vote on someone slimy just because he/she is supposedly "not as bad as <insert 'opposing' party candidate here>."  Until people realize they have more choices, we will continue to be controlled.

mirkwood

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2020, 01:18:17 pm »
I don't care if a 3rd party or independent candidate "doesn't have a chance." I will not throw away my vote on someone slimy just because he/she is supposedly "not as bad as <insert 'opposing' party candidate here>."  Until people realize they have more choices, we will continue to be controlled.

The only "thrown away" or "wasted" vote is the one not cast.

I have voted third party many times.  I am confident I will do so again in the future.

It won't be this election.

Last election I looked at the choice between Trump or Hillary picking Supreme Court Judges.  There was no way I was going to participate in the potential of Hillary picking them. 

As it turns out, despite his crassness and churlishness, Trump has done a lot of good for this country. 

I'll still take his behavior over one of an Obama or a Clinton.
preppercop.blogspot.com

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2020, 02:08:17 pm »
Well good news for you that neither Obama nor Clinton are running this time around!

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2020, 10:33:19 pm »
Opening the church buildings must be a really complex international challenge. For instance, in the land of Cheese, a church must file a plan with local public health authorities (which makes me very happy that trained folk are in the decision making process) and have it approved.  Then, if there is discovered non compliance it is a 4000 euro fine to the organizer, and 395 euro for each individual.  That's a whopper of a fine for limited income folks.  But hopefully a deterrent to the "It is just a flu-I will not wear a mask- we need to congregate" knuckleheads.
I just received this from my Stake Presidency today:

Because of the size and activity levels of the Church units in our Stake, we will proceed with caution. The Area Presidency has counseled to move slowly and cautiously and get it right. With this in mind, there are several things under consideration at the moment. Some items of consideration are:

● Meeting start times and congregation limits

(Under the State of Utah regulations, religious meetings are exempt from the 50 person limits. Current Church guidelines place a 99 person limit on meetings)

● Logistics around the safe administration of the Sacrament

● Limiting touch points and access to parts of the buildings

● Cleaning the buildings before and after meetings

○ Acquisition of appropriate cleaning supplies (The Church FM has ordered supplies but unfortunately those items are back-ordered until at least mid-June)

● Getting appropriate signage in place to advise members of their responsibilities

We ask for your continued prayers and understanding as we work through these issues. We are working with the bishops and will meet again on June 14th to assess updated guidelines and review ward plans. Until we have appropriate sanitizing supplies and approve ward plans we cannot start Phase I.

So, we might be still doing home church for the next several weeks.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2020, 04:10:51 am »
I can’t think about current events for awhile. I’m overloaded & I’m gonna say my piece & grab a dog or cat & hide in the Cabin for awhile.  :(:'(>:(

We’re still in the midst of a pandemic that has sickened almost one of every 1,000 humans & killed over 370,000, nearly a third of cases & deaths (many preventable by timely, competent, focused government response) in the world’s most scientifically & industrially advanced country, the country that not so long ago, the world looked to as an innovator, facilitator, & producer of ideas & things that blessed humanity. We’ve seen this terrible calamity politicized & used as a basis for conflict instead of being handled capably. Ours, one of the world’s largest economies, has taken a gigantic hit with countless businesses failing & 40,000,000 Americans (so far) unemployed, which weren't totally avoidable but might have been less severe if the pandemic had not been given free rein to get out of control.

And now Americans are at each other’s throats because of a police brutality case that, unlike some that may have been iffy, seems to be in little doubt. Just as we’re hoping to emerge from shutdowns & sheltering & live like semi-normal people, here is this new hit to our national psyche & also our economy, since some cities are having their downtown business cores busted up & burned. In my area, Oakland, San Francisco, & San Jose have been battered. Last night, someone shot up a federal building entrance in Oakland & killed a security officer. Whether some people (either the police officer who put his whole weight on a man’s neck for 8 minutes or those who answered by destroying their communities) lost control due to stress from the pandemic, we can’t say. But it’s all too much for a lot of people.

I haven’t been too stressed during pandemic SIP & have been able to stay out of trouble & not get any crazier than normal, but now I’m getting overwhelmed. Like most folks, I listen to too much news.  ::)  Any time I hear Trump, I get angry & blame him for killing thousands of my fellow Americans & have to ask God to forgive me for the things I think. Now, while Americans victimize each other again, I wonder if we stopped being human & I just failed to notice. We were all looking forward to extended park or beach time next week, & soon a museum, library, or shopping mall, things human beings enjoy. But now our cities are under curfew, Oakland & San Francisco mayors have asked the governor to put the National Guard on standby, & Los Angeles has asked for troops. And so, perhaps, at least for another week or two, there goes another nice thing, a bit of regular human life snatched away.

Ahha, I see a cat & a dog. Just what I need. Come here, fur bundles, we’re going to the Cabin. Come, Punkin & Dreyfuss, yes, Ivie too. No people allowed, just us critters.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Sparky

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Throw-together recipes by Roper