Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: A Modest Prediction  (Read 919 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: A Modest Prediction
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 09:22:04 pm »
I never thought I would want Obama back. I want Obama back.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Roper, Sunday21

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 10:51:10 pm »
I would take George W. Bush. He knew how to lead in a crisis.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Curelom, dyany, Sunday21

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 02:14:21 am »
I miss them all. Every one of them, & I can remember back to Eisenhower, although I was very young so I don't recall him well. But I miss them all so much.  :'( I miss having a president, someone capable of being a leader & bringing us together, a positive influence on us & a positive face of America to the world ... a grown-up. We've had a few bad Potuses in my time, but I miss them too. Every last one. And I believe every one of them could have brought us through this crisis better, without the rudderless, anchorless drifting we've seen for months, & every one of them could have kept tens of thousands of people from dying by being more decisive & competent.

I am so sorry for every negative word or thought I ever had for Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan. Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, & Obama, & wish I could personally apologize to them. You just don't know what you have until it's gone.  :(

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sunday21

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 04:46:31 pm »
Look at this: the whole family is either (1) unclear on the constitutional requirement that the presidential election be held on a specific date, or (2) bound & determined to do all they can to make sure it does not.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Jared-Kushner-clarifies-after-saying-he-s-not-15266610.php

Trump's SIL & senior advisor Kushner said: "I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other, but right now that's the plan."

The "plan"? It sounds like he thinks he actually has a part in deciding when the election happens.

We already know Donald fantasizes about being king & staying in office beyond the constitutional limit of two terms for a president. He seems to forget that the reason the United States exists is that people wanted freedom from a monarchy where one person gets to have absolute power until they die, & the crown then stays in the family.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-suggests-supporters-serve-more-two-terms-president-2019-6

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/politics/donald-trump-term-limit/index.html

Whether Jared is merely as ignorant of the law as Donald, & hasn't bothered in over 3 years to learn it, or is actually part of his FIL's power grab & the whole family is planning to enthrone itself as America's royal family, it's scary either way.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 05:54:40 pm »
Well, there have been other family dynasties in American politics. There's John Adams and John Quincy Adams. In my lifetime, there have been the Kennedy family, the Bush family, and the Clinton family. So the Trump trajectory is not without precedent. We just have to stop it at the ballot box in November.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 07:01:19 pm »
Well, there have been other family dynasties in American politics. There's John Adams and John Quincy Adams. In my lifetime, there have been the Kennedy family, the Bush family, and the Clinton family. So the Trump trajectory is not without precedent. We just have to stop it at the ballot box in November.

And let's not forget the Roosevelts, the Daleys of Chicago, the Byrds of Virginia, & more.

So tell me, how much of a threat to our constitutional form of government were any of them, or the Adams, Kennedy, Bush, or Clinton families? How far did any of them go in actually envisioning themselves as a king, queen, emperor, or President-for-Life?

mirkwood

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 12:22:21 pm »

Interesting.  I prefer crass and churlish to race baiting and appeasement.
preppercop.blogspot.com

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 03:01:59 pm »
race baiting and appeasement.

I literally have no idea what you are talking about?

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 01:47:38 pm »

Interesting.  I prefer crass and churlish to race baiting and appeasement.

"Me Too." Don't you just hate it when a president of the United States calls neo-Nazi & Klan sympathizers (or even members) "some very good people," & has private meetings & pen-pal relationships with Communist dictators that are not open to any other government officials, & where we have no idea what he promised them in return for what favors?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:55:32 pm by Curelom »

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 01:54:01 pm »
The rules are for the peons, not the King. It is the peons' duty to protect the King, but not the other way around.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/week-white-house-was-masked-n1208221

Prince Eric says the COVID virus is a Dem plot to undermine the King & steal the election (which wouldn't be held if Prince-Consort Jared had his way).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/17/eric-trump-coronavirus/

Meanwhile, Prince Donald posts a meme suggesting Joe Biden is a pedophile. How rich, coming from a guy whose papa boasted about groping women & was accused by Miss Teen USA participants of walking in on their dressing room while they were changing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8328671/Don-Jr-calls-Biden-pedophile-Instagram-brother-Eric-says-coronavirus-Democrat-ploy.html

In more serious matters, some Senators worry about whether the would-be monarch is really trying to make it official & enthrone himself as Supreme-Leader-for-Life.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/05/17/trumps-emergency-powers-worry-some-senators-legal-experts/24334679/

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/4/9/21215155/donald-trump-coronavirus-mitt-romney-inspector-general-firing

mirkwood

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 04:22:46 pm »

"Me Too." Don't you just hate it when a president of the United States calls neo-Nazi & Klan sympathizers (or even members) "some very good people," & has private meetings & pen-pal relationships with Communist dictators that are not open to any other government officials, & where we have no idea what he promised them in return for what favors?

Are you talking about when he said this?

"Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group.  But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides.  You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me, I saw the same pictures you did.  You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.”

And this?

“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.” 

Perhaps you are talking about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHmyKksPois
preppercop.blogspot.com

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 07:28:45 pm »
I'm not a fan of Pres Trump, but even I can see the absolute disgusting bias the media has against him. And I get so sick of being placed in a position to defend him (although I typically don't aloud because as proven in this thread, so many have such a strong bias that they cannot see their own bias). I get that people don't like him, don't agree with him, whatever, but the made up stuff is just ridiculous.

And I said the same thing about Pres Obama. The media had a disgusting love fest for him and those who opposed him so vehemently made up stuff about him.

The following users thanked this post: mirkwood

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 11:11:13 pm »
White supremacy is indefensible.  Period.  There were no “fine people” in that group. The Robert Lee argument is a red herring.  The statements and conduct of that groups clearly indicated their ideology. 

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 10:29:56 pm »
A big problem with Trump's mouth is all the backpedaling, ‘splaining, dumb excuses, & claims that he was “joking” or “being sarcastic” that he or his proxies must create when he is criticized for the atrocious things he often says. He clearly gives little forethought to what comes out of his mouth, & he can dish it out but can’t take it. When called out, he'll act all defensive & hurt, claim he “didn’t really mean it” or “it was a joke,” then launch a vicious, insulting personal attack on the critic. A normal person can’t tell if Trump is saying what he means, making a feeble attempt at humor, or letting his mouth run without realizing his brain has fallen behind & he's about to land in manure yet again.

When the world’s most powerful individual says stuff like this, should we take it at face value, analyze it & hope to get what he really meant, chuckle at another lame joke, or what ???

Re: Comrade Xi: “He’s now president for life. President for life. No, he’s great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot someday.”

Re: Comrade Putin: “It is always a great honor to be so nicely complimented by a man so highly respected within his own country and beyond.”

Re: Comrade Kim: “He goes in, he takes over, and he’s the boss. It’s incredible. He wiped out the uncle. He wiped out this one, that one. I mean, this guy doesn’t play games.”

“Hey, he is the head of a country, and I mean, he’s the strong head, don’t let anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.”

“He wrote me beautiful letters…we fell in love.”

Re: Four congresswomen who are African-American or Muslim, three of them U.S.-born. He tweeted they should go back where they came from, to the "broken and crime infested places from which they came.”

Re: “Chinese virus.” He called it that until March, 'splaining that “it came from China,” yakkity-yak. Then he abruptly stopped & said Asian-Americans are “amazing people” & not to blame for the virus & its spread. It took weeks to replace it with the condescending words about “amazing people,” which sounded like “some of my best friends are ____” or “We have some very fine ____ neighbors” that we often heard in the 70s. This isn’t overt so it doesn’t sound racist to some minds, but minority people recognize it when they see it, or I should say when we see it.

When someone repeatedly says outrageous things & handles criticism in bizarre ways, it’s mentally tiring. Was he serious about Lysol as a COVID remedy or being sarcastic as he later claimed? He sounded as serious as a sermon to me, but I don’t care anymore. I don’t have the energy to decide daily if he is being racist, sexist, pro or anti anyone, joking about stuff no normal person would laugh at, or just being cruel, insensitive, & unempathetic again. The path of least resistance is to assume the worst. It sounds terrible, but when anyone creates so much rubbish that most people can't spot the rare gem of wisdom, the problem is with that person & not the rest of us. The benefit of the doubt is a fine thing, a sign that we look for the best in people & recognize that no one is perfect. Like most people, I’m happy to give it most of the time, but I’m not stupid & I can see when someone has worn it out & doesn’t deserve it anymore. And few people in public life today have abused benefit of the doubt more than Trump.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Iggy, Roper, Taalcon

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Throw-together recipes by Roper