Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: How has this disease touched you?  (Read 472 times)

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
How has this disease touched you?
« on: May 03, 2020, 10:00:33 pm »
In light of some of the doubt and panic we see around us, I thought it might be beneficial to share some of the personal stories we've experienced with this disease, just to bring it home. Rules: illness and direct illness effects only. No 'I saw this story in my feed," but must be people you know or their family members. Medical care stories are important, but again, no 'passalong' stories.

Here's what I've experienced so far:

The grandmother of a friend of mine died of covid-19 about 3 weeks ago.

One of my good friends from the writing community, a young (mid 30s), VERY healthy woman, got it and has been really sick for over a month. As she recovers, her lungs hurt constantly and she is exhausted all the time. There is evidence she is one of those to sustain permanent lung damage, which has to be devastating because I've watched her in the last 18 months discover a passion for scuba diving. That may not be possible anymore.

A former co-worker's husband caught it and has been quite sick. Her antibody test came back positive, and she thinks it explains some fatigue and aches she had a few days before her husband got really sick.

An industry acquaintance in eastern Idaho has all the symptoms and has been extremely sick for over 2 weeks, but not enough to be hospitalized, so not enough to get tested in that part of the state.

One person in a pen group I'm in lost both of his parents to the disease a few weeks ago.

Those are what I know of. I don't get to talk to many people on the phone, so if it isn't discussed on social media in some way, I don't know about it, at least not yet.

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: How has this disease touched you?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 12:21:51 am »
My sister has had fevers every day for a month, along with other classic symptoms (can something be called "classic" after just a couple of months?). She's been isolated in her room all that time, with her physician and her son-in-law's dad who is a doctor checking in with her daily. She almost went to the hospital once but got her hands on an oximeter and they determined it wasn't necessary. She's handling it well, in spite of being lonely and tired of being separated from her daughter and granddaughter and son-in-law, who moved in with them after living out of state for years just before she got sick. This is a woman who eats a plant-based diet, hikes miles a day, and was the picture of health before this happened. I hope she doesn't have lasting damage.

I'm returning to work tomorrow and really nervous about it. Dentistry isn't safe right now. Thankfully I'm not around the drilling and those things that create the most risk, but I'm still up close with patients and in their mouths. We're screening patients and being really careful so I hope it will be fine. I'd feel awful if I brought it home to my family.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:09:06 am »
A member of my quorum, aged 86, died "with" Covid-19. He had kidney cancer, and actually died of a stroke. But he's a statistic now, because he tested positive. Over two years ago, about six months after the passing of his wife, he told me he was quite happy to be dead, and with his wife.

My daughter is a carer, in a fairly large institution. Her unit has remained Covid-19 free. But other units have had deaths with Covid-19.

Other than that -my boss had symptoms, but no actual positive test. Another colleague's father-in-law has died, and his wife now has it. One other colleague has symptoms, again - no positive test.

So, I've had little impact. I'm still out of the house 12+ hours a day for work, including travel. My wife is hating it though. Only out for grocery shopping.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Jen

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:48:18 am »
My brother caught it at his hospital from a co worker. He had mild symptoms. His wife, children and grandchildren did not show symptoms at all. Our biggest worry was small Harry the preemie getting sick. Whew dodged that bullet.

Our colleague's daughter with Lupus and one kidney caught it, survived and is home.

A student in Andries' group was out for several weeks. 

Since in this country they are not testing everyone we do not know specific stats.  This means I have not clue if it really is safe to leave my house. I am girding my loins to get my teeth cleaned today....

All travel all conferences all labs all groups all lectures are either remote, cancelled or pushed back. Andriesvis working 12vhours a day from the dining room to keep the science juggled.

I doubt I will be able to fly safely for months.  We are still waiting to see how his visiting prof gig in Lanzhou will play out.  If nothing else he needs to get into the apartment to pack things and ship them home.

The instability of the future plans is triggering anxiety.  I am having food insecurity dreams...and I rarely remember dreams....but that is silly because our food delivery is normal.

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:24:16 am »
A friend's father died. She has been tru lots in her life so sad. The sibling of another friend took died by suicide, had struggles before. But this seems to
have been the finamembers. Lady at church who I have helped now lives in a nursing home so worry about her and not having visitors or getting thisetc as she is super high risk.
   On the large professional group I help moderate, lots of our stress among my group members with anxiety over worrying about their loved ones ( ie if they were to bring disease home) not having PPE, several have also been diagnosed with it. Of course don't know these folks but I care about my group members..

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 03:00:46 pm »
My friend and her two teenaged sons got it, were sicker than in normal flu, but nothing bad really. Their father got it also, apparently when he and she met, but he lives in a different country. All survived very well though the adults have various health problems.

I had a few day fever, but it was not covid but something else. I got tested because I'm a teacher and was supposed to go teach in less than week.

We'll see if I get to know more people with covid when we return to school on May 14th when they open up.

My dad would not mind getting it. He wants out of here desperately.

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:07:47 pm »
Andrew: that member likely died of covid. One of the things they have discovered is that it causes clotting like crazy, leading to kidney failure and strokes, among other things. He sounds like he was already very vulnerable.

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:52:30 pm »
Hubby and I are both essential workers. He works in a grocery store, I'm quality control testing for food and medical industries.

I have one coworker who was probably positive for COVID-19, but was not allowed to be tested because he isn't in a high risk group. He worked from home, quarantined in his basement, for three weeks.  Hubby had two coworkers who were sick enough or high risk enough to get testing and come up positive.  All employees at the store were told of the two definite cases, but no identifying information was released, so we have no idea if he had any direct contact with either.  And no idea how many other people might have been positive but untested.

Hubby was out of commission for a few days (before the coworkers were announced) with a low fever, sneezing and congestion, but no cough or body aches so the tele-doc said it was probably the regular seasonal flu and would not refer him for testing.  I'm asthmatic (well, probably, I've never actually gotten a diagnosis) and using a rescue inhaler a lot more frequently than typical. But no fever, and the body aches I do have are probably arthritis and obesity because they're pretty localized.  I honestly haven't called to try and get tested as a result of not having enough of the probable symptoms.

I've had a few friends report on social media that people in their various circles have died from this disease.  Nobody that I know personally.... yet...

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 07:13:43 pm »
The news reports of #68 to die in Utah was that a man over 60 died. He happened to be our realtor 10 years ago and before that, my father's only friend. My father was not what I'd describe as a nice, warm guy. Instead, he really wanted nothing to do with other people, very anti-Mormon, etc.  And yet #68 never gave up on him. He was always there. He was with my father when my mother died and a few years later, with him as he went through chemo and died. #68 was a really good man, loved deeply by his wife and children, his ward, and the people he came in contact with in his professional life. It's a shame that so many people are just statistics and we lose the humanity of each of them.

My best friend at the time (other than my husband) died in 1990 as a result of that flu epidemic. She never got off the ventilator. She was 39 and also left a loving husband and two young children.

Pandemics leave a mourning world.

I was supposed to have a rotor cuff surgery yesterday but the anesthesiologist decided I was not a good risk. I have asthma, use a CPAC machine, and am a shallow breather. After surgery, it usually takes a long time before my blood becomes oxygenated at an acceptable level. I am in pain but I'm not really upset about the delay. I understand why he didn't consider me the best candidate for surgery, all things considered.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:16:21 pm by Palmon »

* Recent Topics

* Calendar

December 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5]
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts