Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Priesthood ordinances done remotely  (Read 760 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: Priesthood ordinances done remotely
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 02:20:48 pm »
We prepare consecrated oil in advance. If the sacrament symbols and the prayer have to be together in the physical presence of the person saying the prayer, then I wonder if we could use an unopened packet of crackers and a sealed water bottle (or something similar) that could be delivered while lessening the transmission of disease.

I still think that the prayers said remotely, while members use their own bread and water, would be the safest way to do it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 02:22:37 pm by Roper »
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: nitasmile

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 03:21:21 pm »
I see a non-saving ordinance, like the sacrament, as one that could potentially be done remotely.

What I have found to be a difficult transition is using my house as a church building. This is the 2nd week we have done it. I had the same feelings when conference proceedings began being regularly available at home, rather than going to the stake center in my Sunday clothes to watch it via satellite. For my dad, he used to listen to the broadcast at the stake center before they had the capability to broadcast them via satellite, and he noted a bit of a difference when video broadcasting was available. I still think I am better able to focus at the church building, but I think the difference is the preparation. Conference is more personal to me if I make plans to watch it. And going to the stake center requires planning. Watching at home can be as simple as noting that it is 9:10 AM and I should probably flip it on while eating pancakes. So for home sacrament meeting, we have been cleaning on Saturday, and on Sunday we get dressed up and have a specific time to have sacrament. I take time to prepare before hand, including dressing in Sunday clothes, preparing the sacrament, prelude music, and following some of the formalities of church. That preparation has helped.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:09:22 pm by Jason »

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Sparky, Taalcon

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 09:30:10 pm »
We had a remote zoom RS meeting..was not mandatory but was no nice!
On Hank Smith's page, someone is talking about taking the Sacrament via phone ( sounds like it is blessed via phone).

The following users thanked this post: Roper

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 10:20:57 pm »
There's a chance my husband has covid-19. I've been watching him sick for over a week and wondering what happens if he gets really, really sick. I can't ask anyone to come give him a blessing.

We've been told that we don't have to actually touched the person to pronounce a blessing.  We can anoint and then pronounce  The annointing and  The blessing from across the Room

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Jason

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 10:24:15 pm »
It seems it would make far more less of a doctrinal adjustment to activate the already existing declaration that endowed women are "prepared to officiate in the ordinances of the
For what it is worth the word now is not officiate it has been changed to participate

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Taalcon

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:06 am »
Admin hat here:

There's a lot of posts in this thread talking about "I heard we could..." or "I saw someone..." or "I read a post where...."

We need to be careful. Stating what you think could happen in such and such circumstances because of such and such is one thing. But passing along hearsay as possible advice is a very bad idea when it comes to doctrine and priesthood ordinances. Unless you have a AUTHORITATIVE SOURCE (as in, one of the 12 from an official, verifiable, official channel reference) as to that being acceptable practice, let's not spread those kinds of ideas, okay?  Until we have an OFFICIAL okay on that sort of thing, assume that anything you hear about someone doing it was a mistake. Do not follow its example. That's how heretical traditions get started.

That being said, if someone has OFFICIAL references, please share them. If you have ideas as to what could be done and why (without saying it CAN and IS being done), go ahead. (Even if your local bishop says it's fine, let's not share until we know it's OFFICIALLY fine. I can't even begin to count the number of false and misleading practices I've seen started by well-meaning but misguided bishops.)

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Sparky, Enochscion, CrowGirl, Taalcon

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 06:51:31 am »
Oh. You can remove my post if thats helpfull.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 10:07:53 am »
JanaLynn, you weren't passing along hearsay as advice for what people should do. You states what you had heard and asked a question. Your post is fine. Stay safe!
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 11:19:46 am »
Until I see anything in writing, over the signature of the First Presidency, I would not be changing anything.

However, since we do not have to remove a wig in order to anoint someone, I don't see why we could not wear gloves. I would prefer that to standing the other side of the room and shouting a blessing, because the person is hard of hearing.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: CrowGirl, Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 12:09:25 pm »
Airborne/aerosol transmission of Coronavirus is not well understood. Best to take precautions there, too. Not just gloves.

The following users thanked this post: Jen

palmetto_gal

• MembersOnly
  • Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 10:03:40 am »

.as a single sis, we do not get to partake of the sacrament during this time of crazy uncertainty..I try, believe me, to be positive and hopeful but this is another thing that the virus has taken from us.

For the past two Sundays, the Sacrament has been delivered to me and left on my porch.  The brethren text me after they have left, and I go out to retrieve it and partake of it.  I read the Sacrament Prayers from the D&C before partaking.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, CrowGirl

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 11:06:56 am »
I think the nature of the Sacrament requires the "breaking" of the bread as part of the administration of the Sacrament.

Why?   There is no size about the substance used.   In the military crackers were sometimes used and no one broke them (except to the extent they had lines to break them as part of the cracker).  And even now, there are priesthood leaders protecting their flocks by instructing the recipient to provide the emblems, and the priesthood holders to bless it on the porch without touching it and then leave before the receipient opens the door to take the bread and water.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Roper

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2020, 02:19:36 pm »
Pal_gal, how wonderful!  I just shared that with a certain EQP I know (smirk).  Maybe it can get passed up to those whose make these decisions for our stake.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

nitasmile

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 07:45:34 pm »
Oh well..somehow I had hopes that we would be able to engage in some sort of remote sacrament blessing. In my area, there is no sacrament opportunity for those who are single sisters or who do not have the Priesthood in their home.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2020, 08:48:36 pm »
In the Alaska Bush Branch, they do Sacrament meetings completely by phone during the winter months. I wonder how they do the sacrament.

* Calendar

May 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: The LIST by Roper
[Today at 08:43:51 pm]