Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Positive Lessons from the Covid-19 Pandemic  (Read 692 times)

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Positive Lessons from the Covid-19 Pandemic
« on: March 24, 2020, 03:23:33 am »
Technically, we're still in the early stages. And I know that, just like any major natural disasters, there are going to be a LOT of negatives that may seem to outweigh the positives. And not everyone will gain all or some or even any of these lessons, because they won't choose to. But I thought it would be nice to start a thread of things you have started to notice in yourself or your family or the world that are or could be positive effects of this virus and its social, financial, and traditional repercussions.

Here's a few I've seen (or have seen the seeds of):
-We're starting to see the importance of things like delivery people, store clerks, teachers, SAHMs, every health care person at every level, manufacturers of essential goods, etc. Good people with open eyes will appreciate them and their positions more.
-While technology keeps a lot of things running that could be open at this point in the pandemic 30 years ago, I think many people are starting to see some of the negative and brain drain effects of the constant screen time.
-I am hoping more people will be seeing how utterly clueless and selfish and destructive most of our politicians truly are. You may think Rand Paul's ideas are great, but when you realize he made zero effort to self-isolate (even for VERY unimportant things) even when he suspected he may have the disease, respect has gotta go down. He clearly cares about no one else (and that makes me sad because I used to think he was a halfway decent one).
-many things that we put a lot of false stock and importance in, like full 24 month missions or big silly greeting parties at the airport with homecomings, are being outed as not only the ridiculous, Pharisaical construct they are, but damaging and dangerous. Don't get me wrong, 18/24 month missions are great, and I know why they are the standard. But we have WAY too many people in the Church who put way too much importance on whether someone actually served the full 18/24 months, using it as a barometer of righteousness. I know way too many evil people who faked their way through a 24 month mission and way too many really good people who have been shamed and even vilified because they weren't able to serve a full 18/24 months for perfectly legitimate reasons.
-people are having to learn to let go of a lot of 'shoulds.' Like, my kids 'should' be involved in all these programs, and do all these school things in exactly THIS way, and our family has to keep exactly THIS balance and THESE schedules and have THIS cute of a house that is THIS clean, and on and on with stacks of responsibilities like cordwood. And suddenly we're finding that a lot of those things that we took for granted as a 'have to do' aren't nearly as vital or even important as we thought they were.
-Life in many ways has to slow down. And with that room to breathe, we find that we like it. And, often, we find God there, waiting for us as He has been all this time.
-We get more tested on self-reliance. Budgeting, what we ACTUALLY need in those kits and storage, what we might need simply because there's a lot of stupid people in the world.
-Yes, there's a lot of stupid people in the world. But most of them are just scared and don't know exactly what to do and have been raised to 'follow the crowd.'  We can offer grace for them. Even thought they may still be stupid.
-I know this is a slim chance, but I'm really, really hoping that people are learning that math, especially things like statistics, ARE really important and you WILL need to understand them when you grow up!  Really!  Really, really, a lot!
-Starting to recognize that by helping, supporting, and protecting everyone, we are also protecting ourselves, but if we put protecting ourselves first (such as hoarding, being rude to those around us, not caring about who we might spread it to because we're not in a 'vulnerable population,' etc.), we doom ourselves.
-we have been getting sucked so much into conveniences and experiences and nuances and entitlements (physical and otherwise) over the last few decades. Perhaps being forced to be kind of desperate for the basics will help us to re-prioritize and, from a distance, realize how silly some of the whines we've been whinging about really are?  We've really had it quite easy as a culture for a very long time. That can make little things seem way bigger than they are and big, important things get out of focus.
-Recognizing that happiness does NOT come from events or experiences or things or even reaching some goals, but from our relationship with God and ourselves, including learning the process we each need to take to Follow Him and get home.
-'don't know what you've got till it's gone.'  This disease has about a 3% death rate (it's not that high in the US YET because only the tiniest fraction of cases have run their course so far, including the fact that most people who are and will be infected have not started showing symptoms yet) worldwide.  To put that into perspective, most people know about 250 people relatively well.  Now, name 8 of those people whom you 'wouldn't mind' being dead. Because that's what we'll get. WITH social distancing and other precautions being enacted right now. Now, imagine that, and then recognize how so many of us cannot see or be with anyone but our closest families, which eliminates the vast majority of that list, right now and for the next few weeks. I am hoping that this will humble us and help us appreciate the relationships we have.
-Heavenly Father really and truly knows what he's doing, and this is a true and LIVING Church: The Come, Follow Me program. The easier to access temples requiring far less travel (especially international travel). The huge Church 'rainy day' fund. The recently ramped-up self-reliance classes. None core doctrine, but all important supports for helping us hold to the rod and make and keep our covenants and support our families through times that NO HUMAN foresaw. Presented in a way that we could say, "OK, I can see that being helpful in my normal life" so we try to do it, but then finding how truly vital it was all along when the poop hits the fan.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:29:38 am by dyany »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, rcaywood

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Positive Lessons from the Covid-19 Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:21:56 am »
Of all people to blow-off public health standards... Rand Paul is a doctor. Yeah, an M.D.

OK, I fixed it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:34:50 pm by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 01:08:12 pm »
Not a necessary remark.  This is supposed to be a POSTIVE thread.

I can use all the positivity I can get. 
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: beefche, Roper

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 04:15:29 pm »
Some of those items seem more positive than others, so those are the ones I will comment on.
"We're starting to see the importance of things like delivery people, store clerks, teachers, SAHMs, every health care person at every level, manufacturers of essential goods, etc. Good people with open eyes will appreciate them and their positions more."
Our infrastructure is very important. Throughout the last several years when I arrive at work in the morning to set up my operating room, I often wonder at the remarkableness of those who come and stock all of this equipment of all varieties and sorts. I remember some essays I had read on how hundreds of people may have been involved in making one item for sale at a store, from the packaging, the shipping, the store, the rent, the investors, and then the support that each of those people have, all down the line. Our society is quite interdependent on each other, which is often taken for granted.
-While technology keeps a lot of things running that could be open at this point in the pandemic 30 years ago, I think many people are starting to see some of the negative and brain drain effects of the constant screen time.
I have seen a pent up desire for people to get outside and do things, now that those things are limited. There are many more people going for walks in my neighborhood, even when compared with last summer when the weather was very pleasant. We have done family puzzles and are reading books together.
Life in many ways has to slow down. And with that room to breathe, we find that we like it. And, often, we find God there, waiting for us as He has been all this time.
It is nice to slow down once in a while. We do not always have to be entertained, but can take time to listen and contemplate. Though we are typically commanded to work 6 days in the scriptures, so taking too much time off might be detrimental in the long run.
-Heavenly Father really and truly knows what he's doing, and this is a true and LIVING Church: The Come, Follow Me program. The easier to access temples requiring far less travel (especially international travel). The huge Church 'rainy day' fund. The recently ramped-up self-reliance classes. None core doctrine, but all important supports for helping us hold to the rod and make and keep our covenants and support our families through times that NO HUMAN foresaw. Presented in a way that we could say, "OK, I can see that being helpful in my normal life" so we try to do it, but then finding how truly vital it was all along when the poop hits the fan.
Just a comment that the church rainy day fund of "$100 billion" is potentially now just "$70 billion". That is still likely a large return on investments. My stake is trying to gather information about all of its members and how they are being affected. They are asking 3 questions: 1  anyone with Covid 19? 2 anyone unemployed due to Covid 19? 3 any deaths in the ward due to Covid 19? I have a feeling this might be directed from the regional level or even church headquarters so that they know how to allocate some of their still bounteous resources.

I am not out of work yet, but if I get even a regular cold, I am going to be on forced furlough and not paid at all for 1-2 weeks at a time. Also, if we even have jobs later, without doing any elective surgeries, our salaries are going to be dramatically lower this coming year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:17:55 pm by Jason »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Roper, Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 04:32:40 pm »
Of all people to blow-off public health standards... Rand Paul is a doctor. Yeah, an M.D.

OK, I fixed it.
He is an ophthalmologist, so considers the only important part of the body about 1 inch by 1 inch, so there is that...But enough with the friendly jabs at other specialties.

We do not have full knowledge of how contagious Corona Virus is and how exactly it spreads. Breathing in the same room as an asymptomatic carrier is possibly enough to spread the infection. It might even be as contagious as measles, which is still an incredibly deadly disease in the world. Even those consciously trying to do the best practices will fail, as it would require constant vigilance on basic actions that are a part of human evolution, such as scratching an itch.

There are many prominent people who have given bad examples, such as New York Mayor going to the gym on the day his administration was advising social distancing. I bet we can come up with dozens of more examples, possibly hundreds for each individual, including each of us.

One lesson I have learned as that we are each human. Being American or other western nation grants no special biology that prevents us from the frailties of our bodies. Being an MD or nurse or police officer does not do that, either.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 05:42:37 pm »
They are asking 3 questions: 1  anyone with Covid 19? 2 anyone unemployed due to Covid 19? 3 any deaths in the ward due to Covid 19? I have a feeling this might be directed from the regional level or even church headquarters so that they know how to allocate some of their still bounteous resources.
Can they legally even ask that? Are churches bound by HIPAA?
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 06:00:08 pm »
Going back to something positive: not exactly a lesson, but a local radio station here is playing Christmas music tonight and tomorrow night. That's their way of putting up Christmas lights (as some people have done to try to cheer up neighbors). I love Christmas music as so many of the songs are praising Jesus (obviously, some aren't but there's a whole bunch of O Holy Night or Silent Night thrown in with Santa Claus is Coming to Town).

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:34:13 pm »
Roper: Churches are not bound by HIPAA. Otherwise, a lot of bishops and other local leaders would have been fined or arrested by now. :/  But it's shared information from members. If a member chooses not to share the information, they don't have to. But it's not legally protected. Just protected by Church rules (which, sadly, don't have many 'real life' consequences to stop breaking these rules).

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 08:04:24 pm »
I looked at all of the post titles and this one seemed the most appropriate for a few remarks, though even this one doesn't quite fit. It's been very interesting to be an at-home, on-line teacher. During our first week, I found myself checking my computer constantly to see if the kids had posted any questions, comments, or responses to assignments. I really wanted to interact with them. Sadly, their responses were few and far between. But I loved seeing the ones that did post.

There have been a couple of responses that have been very enlightening about the children themselves. There is a famous question in academic circles that I decided (just for kicks) to ask of my fourth and fifth graders (who are identified as gifted students and I teach in advanced math classes).  Here is the question:
"There are 125 sheep and 5 dogs. How old is the shepherd?"
Think to yourself, first, what is the answer to the question. Have your answer?

Now, I really thought that, being the great students that they are, that I would have a lot of correct answers from my kids. Alas, only one (a fourth grader) out of the ten who responded, answered correctly. 

The replies I got were 25, 25, there's no answer, 65, 25 (I used division), 34 Years old, maybe 25? which is 125 divided by 5. I thought this young lady was going to get it, then she side-tracked herself: "There is no way you can figure the shepherd's age by adding, subtracting, or multiplying the numbers 125 and 5. With that being said you can divide 125 by 5 and you will get 25. Even though dogs cant live that long it is the closest answer to what Shepherds can live to. So my answer is 25 years."

The one who answered correctly said in a conversation with another student, "There is no answer. It’s a trick question I think. The number of the flock and dogs don’t matter." Another replied, "there has to be an answer its a question" with the first boy replying, "Not all questions have answers."

I felt so proud of him for figuring this out! What's so interesting is that these answers are the same types of responses that 8th graders and adults have given to this question. How do your family members respond?

So, I've learned that distance teaching is for the birds. Social interaction is so important. And I've learned that my students are just like the rest of the world! Some figure things out, and the rest don't.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: dyany, rcaywood

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:09:17 pm »
I've also learned, that though this type of teaching is for the birds, I can still teach those little birdies! I posted a video from "Mystery Science" about How does hand sanitizer kill germs? The same boy who answered the shepherd question correctly asked about the video, "i am confoused. hand sanitizer has alcal in it but i thout alcal was bad." I got to teach him that alcohol is just a substance, and it isn't good or bad in and of itself, but rather, how it is used. When used to sterilize surgery tools, it's used for a good purpose. When used to get drunk, then it's not a good purpose. I didn't put it in quite those terms to him, but that was the gist of my response.

The following users thanked this post: rcaywood, CrowGirl

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 10:45:04 pm »
My stake is trying to gather information about all of its members and how they are being affected. They are asking 3 questions:

CrowMan was asked to do this, and refused.  He and the bishop reached a compromise: if someone reaches out to him with that information, he will pass it on.  Otherwise, no.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 01:35:36 am »
What are your wards or stakes doing for Sundays, if anything? My stake is setting up webcasts for each unit at the normal times, & they can do whatever they want with talks, music, announcements, anything except the Sacrament. Everyone participates from home. Some people are just calling it a meeting or a service, or something like unto it, to distinguish it from a full Sacrament meeting. A few wards are supplementing that with lessons, FHE, etc. on Skype, Zoom, or other audio or video meeting apps.

The Bay Area is closing in on 1,200 confirmed cases & has 25 known deaths. Santa Clara County (the heart of Silicon Valley) has been hit the hardest, with over a third of the Bay Area cases (459) & two thirds of the deaths (16). Hotel & restaurant employees have been clobbered economically, but those at the San Jose Fairmont Hotel sent out a special message to the community.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-update-san-jose-fairmont-employees-send-message-of-love-to-coronavirus-stricken-community/ar-BB11KdY0?ocid=spartanntp

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 07:15:32 pm »
There was a lot of reporting initially about 'hoarders' and much commentary about how bad they are.  The worst of times will always bring out the worst in some people.

But for many, the 'worst of times' gives people opportunities to shine. There are so many good things that individuals and private companies are doing that make my heart soar.

People are making masks for those in need, both individuals and companies.  MyPillow, Ecplise International (a mattress company), The Tablecloth Company, Hanes, Los Angeles Apparel and Michael Costello and Karla Colletto Swimwear, Fanatics (make MLB apparel), and the list goes on of private companies switching over to make masks and gowns. As they do so, people that were laid off because of the companies being 'non-essential' are brought back to work.

Dyson and Ford are making ventilators, as are other companies.

Texas Roadhouse and other restaurants are offering free meals to truck drivers.

There are so many good things that people are doing. We can focus on all the bad choices made but I think the good far outweighs the bad. And to top that, all these good things that individuals and companies are doing give us all so much hope. Good always triumphs in the end.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Roper, CrowGirl

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 10:57:11 pm »
In my stake, the sacrament may be blessed at home by a worthy priesthood holder. However, the statewide stay at home order prohibits us from visiting others in person, even for religious purposes. So anyone without a worthy priesthood holder in the home simply must do without the sacrament until the order is rescinded.

There are no broadcasts permitted by my stake presidency (and possibly my area presidency, not certain). We do have a Facebook group for Relief Society and have attempted some semblance of lesson through group discussion there.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 11:47:55 pm »
Can the sacrament be blessed remotely? I've heard of blessings being given over the phone...
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

* Calendar

March 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
[29] 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Priesthood ordinances done remotely by Roper