Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 10715 times)

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2021, 05:24:29 pm »
If you've had your COVID shots and are due for a mammogram, you need to wait until 4 weeks after the second shot. Apparently the shots are causing the lymph nodes to swell and the process becomes extremely painful. It's been determined that after 4 weeks, the nodes return to normal.
So I learned when I went in for my yearly mammogram today.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2021, 11:57:21 pm »
Crud. Well, I just had my 2nd shot today and my mammogram is scheduled for next week, but it's been too dang hard to schedule a mammogram in this nightmare and I've had some tricky spots. Pain hasn't been one of my shot symptoms, so I'm hoping it won't hit me too bad, but if so, oh well. I've dealt with worse. It's not worth rescheduling again and another delay.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, Palmon

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2021, 12:58:15 am »
Call and make sure they will do it. Better than showing up and being told no.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2021, 09:16:02 am »
I had my second shot yesterday afternoon. My chest, shoulders, and back ache this morning. Arms and legs less so. I feel really tired. I think I'll go for a walk later and see if some movement helps. Thankfully, no fever, chills, or headache. Yet.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2021, 09:24:19 am »
Dyany, I hope your second shot wasn't as rough as the first.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2021, 03:02:57 pm »
Last time it took a couple of days for the side effects to kick in, and it was 98% gastrointestinal.

Last night I had a little gut issues, and I'm a little bit achy, but so far so good.

Palmon, I told them when we were scheduling that it would be the week after my 2nd shot (I mentioned it because I was excited about being lower risk), and they didn't say anything about it being a problem.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2021, 03:41:07 pm »
Because this is all new, they weren't aware, at first, that there was a problem. Then they found that the swollen lymph nodes look very much like cancer in the screening. I think it has only been in the last couple of weeks that they stopped doing the exam on women who recently had the shots. The lady that helped me said that they were trying really hard to contact everyone with upcoming appointments but weren't always successful.

I think my time slot was originally held by someone who just had the shot. I called on Tuesday afternoon and had an appointment Wednesday. According to the technician, most women are waiting a couple of months for an appointment.

COVID Vaccination Guidelines for Screening Mammograms/ Midstate Radiology Associates
[url]https://www.midstateradiology.com/blog/breast-imaging/covid-vaccination-mammograms//[url]

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2021, 03:49:57 pm »
California is having trouble getting enough supplies for all, & we have stories of people abusing procedures that are meant to get vaccines to more vulnerable people early on. One was of residents of Marin County, an affluent suburb north of San Francisco, getting hold of registration codes meant for front-line workers in minority communities & boosting themselves to the head of the line for shots at the Oakland Coliseum. That system has been suspended because of the cheating.

A local radio station has a daily feature with experts on the whole range of pandemic topics: infectiousness, vaccines & trials, mortgage or rent relief, employment problems, you name it. I can't tune in every day, but there is always some useful info. A few days ago the guest was a professor of medical ethics, & the host asked about issues with deciding who among at-risk groups should have access earliest. And considering the probability of dying vs. the level of exposure a person may have, there are legitimate concerns. Seniors who get COVID are likelier to have a negative outcome (IOW, die), but may be better able to avoid daily public contact if they're not working. People in health care have far more exposure, but have professional equipment, knowledge, & ongoing training so they are better able to take effective precautions. Teachers are exposed to herds of people, school office personnel even more because they have contact with just about everyone in the school population. Young kids are less likely to catch or spread the virus, but what if they did, & took it to school & exposed a 65-yo staff member. And so on.

The doctor said he had recovered from COVID, & was delaying being vaccinated because as a health provider younger than 60, he is in a better position to avoid being exposed & to recover well. He was making an ethical decision to save his shot for someone who might need it more. I've been doing the same thing. I'm old enough to be in a "high-risk group" if I do get sick, but I'm retired & have been diligent about protecting myself & other people. I do go out, actually quite often, but because of my behavior, I don't think I'm high-risk for either getting sick or sharing cooties. Someone else needs the shot more. If it turns out to be one of those Marin County moneybags with a patio facing the Golden Gate Bridge who has to park the Beemer outside because the garage is full with their Porsche, Escalade, & vintage Vette, I can't help that, but I do hope some hardworking minimum-wage gardener or grocery clerk with a bunch of kids to support gets it.

Eventually I'll get myself on the schedule, but at the moment, I don't consider it the most urgent matter.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2021, 04:51:48 pm »
I went back to bed for a few hours, then woke up shivering. I'm actually pretty happy about this. It tells me it's working. This is my normal reaction to a viral infection--tiredness, sore muscles, shivering, and more tiredness. Back to sleep for another few hours  :)

The following users thanked this post: Jen

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2021, 04:58:27 pm »
Dyany, good to hear thing aren't as drastic this time around.

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2021, 12:16:49 am »
FYI, the Covid pandemic is just about over.

Yes, the vaccines are that good.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2021, 12:53:34 am »
Jason, may I ask where you draw that conclusion from?

What I have been seeing is that some cases are going down, but in many ways things are just plateauing, because new variants like the South African strain aren't touched by the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, and they are far more contagious than the original. Combine that with the false sense of security and the growing ease in safeguards that people are implementing regarding the pandemic because of the vaccines in spite of guidelines to continue to mask/wash/distance, there is, from what I've heard, a very real fear among epidemiologists regarding another surge of the new variants.

Personally, my work is SLIGHTLY easing SOME restrictions, and I am actually going to start easing my personal restrictions (doing community-based mental health, I go on a case-by-case basis), but my work and state guidelines still supports telehealth, and we have to do screening before every in-person visit, and masking and cleaning before and after every transport. Which I will not slack on. Though I am now vaccinated, I don't wish to catch any variant. It's not death that scares me. It's that I've already experienced lifetime debilitation after illnesses that were supposed to be 'no big deal,' and I'd sooner shoot myself in the head than add to that.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, nitasmile

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2021, 09:43:58 am »
The current strain of the virus is absolutely crushed by the vaccines. Transmission, mild disease, moderate disease, severe disease, and death.

The new variants that are more contagious are still signficantly stopped by the current vaccines in terms of severe disease and death, even transmission and mild diseases. Now that we know that the vaccines work it will be easy to create boosters if significant mutations arise in the future, which the current variants have not mutated enough to warrant that worry.

Worrying about unsafe behaviors due to a false sense of security was one of the biggest mistakes that was/is promoted by public health officials during this pandemic. They should instead focus on promoting harm reduction behaviors.

I do not typically post links, but here is a link to an Atlantic Magazine article that articulates why the vaccines are so good and what could have been done far better in terms of public health messaging, education and response.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/how-public-health-messaging-backfired/618147/?fbclid=IwAR3Anm5WD_GaKZ-7j30m4TtCm4o8SnMgYXAtsPbpSHMKkWC2kE5yrS0LMHI

For those that would rather watch a youtube video, Here is ZDoggMD talking about the same things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52gI3CoMg1Y

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2021, 02:01:36 pm »
My wife and I got our first Pfizer shot today, and we're very excited. It's 4 hours later, and I don't have any real soreness, but my wife's arm is quite sore. No other side effects yet. We're just really happy, and grateful right now.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Scruffydog, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2021, 10:33:06 pm »
I had my first dose of the Moderna vaccine a week ago. I didn't mention it, to see if I would have any after-effects, & I didn't. The injection spot was just a tiny bit tender for a day, but no real soreness, & I was able to use the arm regularly & do all the other things I would do if I hadn't had a medical procedure. My second dose is scheduled for 28 days from the first.

I'll still be on the cautious side for now, since I don't have full understanding of whether partly vaccinated people can be spreaders or still have a chance of getting COVID. No wild St. Paddy's Day revelry, but I do feel pretty hopeful now. It was exactly a year ago that the Bay Area took the radical step of shutting down & sheltering in place, which has gone through various changes & adjustments over the year. Overall, it is credited with the Bay Area having lower infection rates & lower death rates than all but 7 of the states in the U.S.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

* Calendar

April 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: masks in church by Sparky